New Ts!

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
I was browsing through my local Craigslist pet section when I saw an ad for some tarantulas. The guy wanted $100 for a few nice divided cages, and whoever bought them got 8 Ts for free: P. pulcher, P. cambridgei, P. irminia, P. regalis, P. formosa, GBB, B. auratum, and a rosie. The cages were made divided- each compartment has a seperate sliding screen door and the dividers are glass. I know divided tanks aren't supposed to be a good idea, but these should work, right?

I didn't get a great look at them when I picked them up because the lighting wasn't very good and I was tired. The ad had said he'd been forgetting to feed them, but I didn't realize how underfed they were when I got them. Out of all of them, only the rosie and the regalis look like they've eaten in the past couple months, and all of their cages were totally dry with no water in their dishes.

All of them got water (and drank) as soon as we got home, and all except the auratum and the rosie ate superworms last night. I got some crickets today because they wouldn't eat roaches either, and I'm going to try those tonight. I would normally wait a few days before feeding them, but I'm not sure the auratum will make it much longer if it doesn't eat.

I will try to get pictures of the Ts and their setups tomorrow or the next day.

Are any feeders better than others for underfed Ts? Anything I should be doing to help them out?

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The auratum may also be in need of some serious hydration before it eats. When I rescued a rosehair locally online, it wouldn't eat for over a month. Although with tarantulas sometimes they do fast for long periods. I wouldn't stress too much as long as it has water. I hope they all make it. Nice find. c

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Aww I'm so glad you got them.
Post pictures of the tank, I'm curious to see what it looks like, and the Ts, of course :D

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
The cages were made divided- each compartment has a seperate sliding screen door and the dividers are glass. I know divided tanks aren't supposed to be a good idea, but these should work, right?
Well I have two 20 gallon tanks a twenty high and a twenty long both separated with plexiglas cut to size and a water proof apoxy holding it. Both are seperated into three compartments and all have separate lids. They are all working fine still I made them about a year and a half ago and there still fine if you want pictures let me know :D

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Quite the steal. So sad they weren't cared for properly, but I know they will be happy T's now! Congrats on your new babies. I just got a P. pulchar myself, and I love the little devil!

Marga

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Am I the only one who can't find a good local deal to save my life? Man I would settle for an adult female rosehair for $20, but you guys are getting some steals!

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
Am I the only one who can't find a good local deal to save my life? Man I would settle for an adult female rosehair for $20, but you guys are getting some steals!
Haha I know the feeling don't feel bad it's not only you!

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
Well I have two 20 gallon tanks a twenty high and a twenty long both separated with plexiglas cut to size and a water proof apoxy holding it. Both are seperated into three compartments and all have separate lids. They are all working fine still I made them about a year and a half ago and there still fine if you want pictures let me know :D
I'd love to see your setups. I will get pictures of mine soon, too.

Quite the steal. So sad they weren't cared for properly, but I know they will be happy T's now! Congrats on your new babies. I just got a P. pulchar myself, and I love the little devil!

Marga
Mine is already my favorite of the bunch! Its skinny like the rest of them, but it stays out in the open and didn't seem to mind when I was messing with its cage and giving it water. Watching it eat is fun, too! Its already gotten a few roaches so I'm expecting it to fill out fairly quickly.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 PM ----------

Haha, not at all! I've been going through craigslist every day looking for tarantulas for weeks! The last time I saw a T on craigslist it was a 3" rosie with a 5 gallon tank with sand in it for $60.

web eviction

Arachnolord
my LPS is gonna break me lol so far I've gotten A. Versi 20.00 P.Pedersini 20.00 and P. Irminia 28.00 just stopped back in yesterday and they got a P. Regalis G. Pulchr and b. Emillia for 30.00 each lol that's the best deals I get... please forgive my spelling I work from my cell phone lol

bioshock

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quite the steal if you ask me!! ;) I laughed at the black car being in the tank for some reason.. Maybe one of the t's could drive it?? Or at least rev it up and go flying into glass.

Spidercrazy

Arachnosquire
Quite the steal if you ask me!! ;) I laughed at the black car being in the tank for some reason.. Maybe one of the t's could drive it?? Or at least rev it up and go flying into glass.
kinda like a 007 movie lol. but it was a model i built and i wanted to put it were no one would go so i said near the T's and its still untouched

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
That looks nice, Spidercrazy!

I'm going to try to get pictures of everything tomorrow. I cleaned some of the cages tonight and added fake plants and more places to hide. Maybe you guys can tell me if there's anything that should be changed. :)

The P. cambridgei died last night. I feel awful about it. It was so pretty. I'm emailing the guy tonight to let him know. The B. auratum still doesn't look great, but it ate a small cricket and a pretty big cricket, so I'm hopeful.