New T's Coming Tomorrow

happymeal

Arachnopeon
Hi all!!

Adding 3 more T's to the family tomorrow.

Usambar Baboon (Pterinochilus sp.)
Guyanan Pinktoe (Avicularia avicularia)
Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus)

If anyone has any personal experience with these. please feel free to share.
The Pinktoe will be my first arboreal

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by happymeal
Hi all!!

Adding 3 more T's to the family tomorrow.

Usambar Baboon (Pterinochilus sp.)
Guyanan Pinktoe (Avicularia avicularia)
Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus)

If anyone has any personal experience with these. please feel free to share.
The Pinktoe will be my first arboreal
Don't be too suprised if the Usumbar Babboon becomes your second arboreal. They are "considered" semi-arboreal. Yours could be terrestrial or arboreal. Don't be suprised if yours is not on the ground very much. Mine, however, can't make up it's mind lol... Some days it stays in it's burrow, other days it walks around the sides and top of the enclosure. You probably already know this but they can be rather nasty. Mine doesn't hesitate to raise up on its hind legs and defend itself. This being said, it is a fabulous display animal (as long as it makes a burrow on the side, if indeed it does). It is opportunistic when it comes to burrows etc.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
My question is are they slings or adults. Care will be different for each. That said, I have A.Avics and PZB but no Usumbaras.
I have never had an agressive A.Avic but they are quite fast and can be skittish. I love them. They will make a tube web even as slings and you will have to provide some bit of cage furniture for them to attach this too or they will quite likely build it on the lid where it will be destroyed everytime you open the container. You can also set your tank or petpal on end so that they won't build the web on the lid.
As for the PZB, I have two WC adults, both are very skittish, not at all like most people have said they should be, which is very docile. So if you are getting a WC adult this is something to consider. I also have slings and they are all very nice, I think because they are CB and quite used to human contact.

Gail

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avics are great and if you are gentle you should be able to handle them close to the ground because in case you do scare it the little beast will dart away fast. I have three of them and they are my fave kind of spider. i have two living communally and I have a spiderling living on its own. Just make sure they have stuff to climb on and stuff to build webs on.

My Usumbura is so mean so be careful with yours.

happymeal

Arachnopeon
Gail,

All Three are CB Slings, I'm getting them from Kelly Swift. And I must say that Kelly Swift is great. I have ordered from him several times in the past and he does a great job, and is very helpful with any questions that you may have.:D

HM

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I fully agree with you about Kelly. He was the first online dealer I ordered from, strayed from him once and had an unpleasant experience and will never stray again. I know that there are other excellent online dealers out there as well, but I really like Kelly, his selection and his prices and the convience of Paypal so I won't likely ever order from anyone but him (once again, no offense intended to the other excellent dealers out there).

Since your avic and PZB are slings I can give you a little more specific advice on them. The PZB absolutely love to make little burrows right from the start. I pack down about 3/4" of moist peat into a vial and plop the sling in. They usually tunnel out the whole bottom and you can see them pretty well so you know if they are getting ready to shed. I've noticed that besides refusing food for several days before a shed they also get a very "tight" looking abdomen - shiney sort of, before it turns dark right before shedding.
The avic will need a taller vial. I place a cut off piece of silk leaf into the vial as a base for their web when they are very small. It is important with the avics not to let them get too stuffy. They need the high humidity but if they don't have some fresh air as well they can have problems. I open my avic vials at least once a day and swab out excess condensation on the sides, leaving just a few drops for them to drink from.
For all of my spiders I have recently started to feed only pre-killed food. For spiderlings this is a really good idea because you never have to worry that they will be attacked by a hungry cricket or get bitten when they grab it. For the PZB you can just drop the dead crix right at the mouth of their tiny burrow. For the avic, drop it into it's web or hand it to it with a pair of fine tip tweezers. You may have to give a few live crix to the avic at first as I have noticed that my new avic slings wouldn't make a web until after they had eaten a few meals. Maybe eating gives them that "homey" feeling :D
As for the usumbara I can't give you any advice as I've never kept one but I am sure someone here can.
Good luck with your new babies.

Gail

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Usambaras like to be kept drier than most types of t. Mine is constantly shoveling dirt into her water dish. I give mine plenty of substrate to dig in and a few pieces of cork bark to climb around on. They're much easier to deal with if they have burrows and hides.

With slings, I lightly mist their substrate once a week or so to help with molting. Adults I just give a water dish.

In my experience, these guys are pretty hardy little creatures.