new T's coming soon

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. i'm adding two more T's to my collection of 1. i'm gettin a b.albopilosm and a b.boehmei. they're both about 1 inch in size and i'm gettin two small critter keepers for them. i was wondering what i should put in the enclosures for them to hide under and also how much substrate to put in there?
thanks,
Jono

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jono,
At 1" I would have to say the small critter keeper might be a little big, I would stick to a deli cup entell they molt once or twice and reach a size of 2". This makes it easyer for the tarantula to find food and water. But if you would like to use the critter keepers they will work too, just some food for thought..

Sincerely,

Brandon

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Id have to agree, tis a twee bit small for a kritter keeper.

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the person who's sellin them to me told me to use a small critter keeper about 4 inches high and 6 inches long?
anyway r they too small for a water dish and again what should i use for a hide?
Jono

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Jono,

At one inch in length a sling should be fine in any 8 oz. or 16 oz. deli cup. One inch slings can possibly crawl out between the many ventilation holes in a small critter keeper.

Scott

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Jono_mad
could someone please help?
For a water dish, I use a milk bottle lid. Theres two ridges on the lid. The one with the threads and a inner one. I just cut off the outer thread lip which leaves the smaller one. It s small and shallow.
Check it out.

Ernie

Attachments

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
2 liter soda bottle lids and lids from small pill bottles work well too. You may have to put a few pebbles in the soda bottle lids and then bury them a little in the substrate. The general rule of thumb is that a spider 3 inches or larger needs a waterdish, but much smaller spiderlings will drink from them. Another method of watering spiderlings is to gently spray a few droplets of water onto the side of the enclosure. The spiderlings will walk up and drink from the droplets. As mentioned before, be carefull of ventilation holes. We have had a few escapees due this. The spiders can squeeze through spaces you may think are too small. We lost 2 B. albopilosum spiderlings in one night this way. It made for a great "I told you so" moment from me to my husband. I always kind of hope one of them will reappear someday having survived all this time on their own even though it is unlikely. Actually we have 2, 1.5 inch B. albopilosum spiderlings in small petpals like you described. They are fine in there, but we plugged up the two larger holes in the lid with paper so they couldn't escape. Luckily the Curlies get a little wide-rumped so I really don't think they could get through those holes now.