new "tri-colour" scorpion

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i bought this guy today, was only labelled "tri-colour scorpion".
it is definitely opistophthalmus sp. i'm thinking it's o. glabrifrons.
any one agree or think it is something else?

in the pic you can see it is missing part of it's leg, but that didn't stop me from wanting to get it.

Attachments

Last edited:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Doesn't appear to be walberghi in all aspects of color. Appears the similar as O. glabifrons (very similar in color aspects to O. longicauda, though the cauda isn't quite long enough according to taxonomy papers) I keep currently as well as for sale at invertepet.com. Listed as Tricolor hissing I believe over there. Perhaps yellow legged listing though. Price is around $20. I got mine at Atlanta reptile and invert show last year for $8 each. Opportunity I couldn't pass up. The noticeable difference between that and mine is the carapace is darker and fades more on your's than mine. Could be walberghi. I have a few of them as well, though mine are darker in coloration and lighter yellow between tergite segments than that, and have a more reddish tint to the tergite. Might just be lighting differences, but the last segments of the cauda are darker on my walberghi as well. Looks identical to one of Dave Gaban's O. glabifrons on Jan's Scorpion Files (the one pic of it with normal lighting).

edw.

Last edited:

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have those in stock, and Dave Gaban identified them as O. glabifrons last time he was here...

bill

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thanks for the input everyone.

i was checking out invertepets site and noticed o. glabrifrons has a dangerous venom sign beside it. opistopthalmus sp. is only at 600 on the LD50 table, but what is their venom like?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, it's pretty much impossible to say how venom is going to effect any given individual, but it's my understanding that all reported human deaths from scorpion stings have involved the family Buthidae. Since Opistophthalmus is not a buthid, you should be safe, assuming you didn't have some freakish reaction to a sting.

Wade

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Sabre,
Ooooh! Ooohh! My dream scorp! I want one so bad! Awesome!

Bill,
You have these?
Peace,
Gillian

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
since we're playing name that hisser...

Thought I'd throw out a pic of one of mine for the resident scorp freaks to ID. Thought it was Wallberghs but not 100%. Any ideas guys and gals? If a better pic is needed or a specific part needed I can get some better shots this weekend.

Phil

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Gillian,
Since Bill apparently didn't see the post you made, I'll make it more clear, unless you have already ordered one. *lol*
Yes, Bill has this species of scorpion though.

Phillip,
Indeed your scorp also appears to be the same species. O. glabifrons, though it may prove to be otherwise in taxonomy. In my opinion, it is probable that it is O. glabifrons as most others have very obvious coloration leaning away from this species. One pic posted and listed as walberghi that I have seen lately, was actually a glabifrons. O. walberghi tends to have more obvious and distinctive coloration as seen in the scorpion files' individual pics of males and females of the O. wal sp.

adios,
edw.