New Trapdoor Spider!

Krakilin

Arachnopeon
Ok, so not long after I got my Curly Hair I bought another spider. I need to slow down!! Anyway, here he is:

But he hasn't made a trap yet or anything.. but I threw some mealworms in last night and here they are today!

Does the black mean that they were poisoned or sucked of their liquids or something? If it does, I'm happy that it ate. It's living conditions at the pet store were pretty crappy.. 0 ventilation and like 1 inch of burrowing substrate.

Last edited:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I bet that's a mature female.

They do like moist substrate, but that looks like it might be sopping wet. How deep is it? She needs several inches of substrate, 10" or so if she's as big as she looks. Maybe not quite so wet...

I usually start a hole for them and they go right in and do their thing.

Not sure about those mealies. Looks like she might have killed them, but not eaten them. She looks fat enough, so I wouldn't worry if she doesn't eat right away.

Krakilin

Arachnopeon
It is 5 inches deep at the lowest point. I'll take a note of the soil.. I did kind of spray it pretty heavily.

She's small though.. I bought her as a baby. 5cm tip to tail.

Last edited:

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I guess I thought she looked a little bigger than that, with no reference. Still, 5cm is hardly a baby for these.

5" might work if you can't add any more. Start her a nice hole and maybe let things dry out just a tad. She'll be much happier when she's in the ground.

There not pet holes either, as they wait at the top for prey. I open the top for a few minutes before tossing in a meal and am rewarded by a super fast prey capture!:D

I think these are just the coolest, and supposedly the females at least are quite long lived.

Good Luck!