New to T's

chondrotastic

Arachnopeon
Hey Everyone!

I have been interested in Ts for awhile and due to an upcoming reptile show in columbus ohio, I think I am going to try and get some Ts. I have been watching Tarantulaguy1976's youtube channel for awhile and have done alot of reading and research and I think I am ready to get a few. I was looking for some advice about buying Ts and what size I should get (thinking about spiderlings due to affordability and I would like see them grow). I have alot of experience with green tree pythons so I am used to a very hands on species. This are the species I would like to get:
1) Avec (regular old pink toe)
2) Versicolor
3) Mexican Red Knee
4) Green Bottle blue
Also, could anyone shoot me a rough estimate price that I should be paying for all these guys?

I was going to house them in deli cups with custom made lids for ventilation. The substrate in them would be eco earth/spagnum moss and they would be housed in a temperature controlled 10 gallon with an outside heatsource to keep the ambiant tempature around 75-80 degrees.

Thanks alot and really looking for some advice on my future setup and choices of Ts!

Thanks alot and sorry for the long post!
Chondrotastic

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First, it will help to know the scientific names of what you want. All the prices are for slings.
1. Avicularia avicularia. ~ $10
2. Avicularia versicolor. ~$25
3. Brachypelma smithi. ~$25
4. Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens ~$40

Also, A. versicolor require high humidity and you must have adequate ventilation also. If these requirements are not met they could die.

Second, if you are getting a sling, B. smithi is the slowest growing of the ones you have listed.

Your first two are arboreal and the last two are terrestrial so you should read up on the housing requirements for those species.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Get a Green Bottle Blue. Wonderful starter T with very little requirements.

chondrotastic

Arachnopeon
hey thanks for all the advice and pricing! I will definately learn the scientific names to help with the selection.

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
.............I have been interested in Ts for awhile and due to an upcoming reptile show in columbus ohio, I think I am going to try and get some Ts. I have been watching Tarantulaguy1976's youtube channel for awhile and have done alot of reading and research and I think I am ready to get a few...............
You're a step ahead of me chondrotastic. I'm still in the reading and researching stage. Hopefully, Tarantulas, Inc will be at the Jan 15th show. They came to the Dec 18th show. If their website is any indication, they've got your first three T choices.

Tom

mygalo

Arachnopeon
1. Avicularia avicularia. ~ $10
2. Avicularia versicolor. ~$25
3. Brachypelma smithi. ~$25
4. Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens ~$40
:eek:

Here in Brazil
Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens~ R$300 :(

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here in Switzerland, I got a young adult female for 30$. Funny how these things fluctuate around the world.

chondrotastic

Arachnopeon
Whoa, 300 in brazil! that's crazy! Hey Introvert, great to see a fellow collector in columbus! thanks for letting me know about tarantulas inc, ive been to the reptile show before, but I couldnt remember if they had tarantulas or not. I hope they get Chromatopelma cyaneopubscens in stock by then considering thats the one i want the most,lol!

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
I paid $200 for a MF A. avicularia in a 5.5Gal and a MF GBB in a 10Gal.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sounds like you have some good tips to start with. Whatever you decide to get, hit these boards up asap for care help. You can use the search function. GBBs (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens) totally rock...they are a LOT of fun, but a little skittish too, just fyi. I get kicked at pretty often by mine when doing mainanence, depending on their mood.

Just a personal recommendation for a beginner, look for a Grammastola pulchra/pulchripes if possible. They are both large, slow, docile, and great beginner Ts! Not to mention attractive.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Has anyone had any experience with Cyclosternum fasciatum by chance? How are they for a beginner?
I wouldn't recommend them for a first T. They're skittish and major hair kickers. Alot of them have major attitude problems. Also grow very slow. I only have one and it turned out to be male. He grew from 1/4" to 2" in 12 months. Very cool T, but tend to burrow/hide alot.

chondrotastic

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice, I kinda figured that it would be a toss up with the dwarf. I will definately check out the Grammastola pulchra/pulchripes and there are a ton of choices since I confirmed that Tarantula inc will be at the January reptile show. Just wondering if anyone has purchased tarantulas from this company? Hows the quality?

Thanks