New to this

SCardwell

Arachnopeon
IMG_6890.JPG Hi All! Newbie here...A friend suggested joining. Recently moved to a new home in Mesa, AZ. Not knowing... we are finding a tremendous amount of bark scorpions in our yard... I certainly don't want to kill them, but I don't want them stinging my children or pets either... Any suggestions? Thanks!

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'm sure there are wiser minds than mine to suggest things. But I'd advise what they do in the back country here in Thailand where scorps are everywhere. Teach your children, and yourselves. Never put your hands or bare feet in dark cervices and crannies. Use caution when picking something up off the ground. Never go barefoot where you can't see the ground clearly. They are very photophobic and hide during the day. At night bright lights keep them at bay. A good flashlight will send them running.
Learn the habits of the animals and draw up boundaries in your own habits.
If by chance you manage to kill all the scorps in your area and they don't return, you will have also badly damaged as significant part of the local ecosystem.

Remember, those tykes can slip into extremely tiny crevices. The firewood pile should never be handled without gloves.

Oh yes. Check shoes before installing feet.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
For a natural remedy that won't kill them or anything else, spray diluted peppermint oil around your yard or in offending areas. Scorpions (and most arachnids) hate the stuff.

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
For a natural remedy that won't kill them or anything else, spray diluted peppermint oil around your yard or in offending areas. Scorpions (and most arachnids) hate the stuff.
I've also heard of this working from a few other people
Never tried it though as I love scorpions and spiders and would love to have them crawling around my backyard

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It's a delicate balance between having them around and when they get annoying and overabundant.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
It's a delicate balance between having them around and when they get annoying and overabundant.
That's when you crank up your patience and let mom nature work it out. Of course it will vary from area to area but what happened here was a pretty good example. A scorp or two invading the house every night. Then as near as I could ascertain, they went after each other. About 2 years of battle royal and it's back down to maybe a half dozen to a dozen Heterometrus, usually content to stay in, under, their little section of the detritus layers. Too bad the little Mucronatus came down from the trees for the bugs and just ended up on the menu.