New to the hobby...

Arachnid-tiles

Arachnopeon
Hey there. I am pretty new to the hobby of Arachnids and whatnot, and I'm looking into Myriapods, as well, now.

Now, I know you probably get this alot - And from what I've read in many posts, I'll be told to "use the 'search function' " - But I already did, and all it found was the life span of centipedes.

So, my question to you all is what would be good to start out with, in terms of Myriapods?

P.S. Sorry for posting a many time's repeated thread. And thank you for any help in advance.

konrad16660

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
get something like an emerald centipede to see if you like them first. If you are really careful you could get a vietnamese centipede. it depends on how old you are. if you are younger go for somthing like the emerald. but if you want to see the vicious nature of them get the vietnamese.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Of course the myriapods, also include millipedes. The African Giants make really cool pets. A huge bug!

Reading caresheets can help you decide what best fits your temperament at this stage of your hobby.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the blue ring is also kinda passive(remember passive in pedes is still crazy!) they are big and seem fairly hardy...

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you might want to check out the bite reports...that might help you make up your mind as well

Arachnid-tiles

Arachnopeon
:8o

get something like an emerald centipede to see if you like them first. If you are really careful you could get a vietnamese centipede. it depends on how old you are. if you are younger go for somthing like the emerald. but if you want to see the vicious nature of them get the vietnamese.
Well, I'm probably going to get chewed out for this, but I'm actually only 14, and don't turn 15 untill May 17th.

But I have a job working after school at a friend-of-the-family's Convenient Store, so I don't have to worry about money TOO much, cause I can always get a loan from the good 'ol parents.

Anyways, as for the centipede's, I need something that is easily found in pet stores. Or atleast maybe a good breeder or something?

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ha ha---good luck on the breeding...none of us have really figured that one out yet:) most likely the easiest to find is going to be a vietnamese which is the one above all you DON'T want to get bitten by...what part of the country are you located in?

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok i got a centipede book that says it's illegal for dealers to sell centipedes to anyone under 18 is this true?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think I've heard that Scolopendra polymorpha is a little less psychotic than some of the other species. For just starting out, I'd recommend avoiding Scolopendra subspinipes, ESPECIALLY the Malaysian cherry-red morph. Mine is still a baby, but I've heard stories about those guys.

ok i got a centipede book that says it's illegal for dealers to sell centipedes to anyone under 18 is this true?
I think that it's ok if parents are present at time of sale . . . or something like that . . . good luck convincing your folks ;).

And like 8 + ) said, giant millipedes are fun too, if slightly less exciting.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You can get your parents to buy you one if they want to. It's not exactly illegal but vendors are liable for anything that happens if they sell something venemous to a minor.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im under 18 and I bought my first centipede my self at a reptile show.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You seem to be from across the pond, so I'm not too familiar with laws in England.

However, that could very well be true. I'd check your locality, the law *might* just be in effect for any of the hoardes of S. subspinpes subspecis (the laws in england seem to be more accurately targed towards specific families and species, rather than the crap blanket ban everything's-technically-illegal laws here in the US).

I'd also check where the book was published, as laws even between individual towns can vary somewhat.

Vanilla

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whynot check out millipede species too? They are docile and don't bite and are probably alot better for a beginner,as they are really easy to look after.I love my AGM,she is the greytest and even has some personality!

dazbuzz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'm not a fan of millipedes they are too soft compared to centipedes and scorpions. i found a small black millipede in my garden...didn't know we could get em in england.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
didn't know we could get em in england.
Millis are pretty much worldwide (except the obviously freakishly cold places). You just have to go somewhere tropical to get the really big ones. :D

Biggest in Oregon is around 4" or so, and a little thicker than a pencil.

8+)

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i'm not a fan of millipedes they are too soft compared to centipedes and scorpions. i found a small black millipede in my garden...didn't know we could get em in england.
The giants are definitely much harder than any centipede I know of. They're harder than scorpions too, excluding the claws.