(New to the hobby) Smaller housing for B. Smithi

PolarisTR

Arachnopeon
I have bought a smaller container for my B. Smithi Lilith since the height of her current enclosure is too high (I'm thinking of using her current enclosure as a cricket/roach pen)

Before continuing please take a look at the images of my new setup.

edit: would help if I added the link to the images!!! http://imgur.com/a/Nxcks

I found these at a local store in the UK and bought ten, but before I move Lilith I want to confirm a few things.

My book states that the height between the sub (in this case coco fibre as recommended by a forum member) should be no less than 2/3 of the spider and no more than 2 lengths. I should be OK then? The only thing I haven't done is provided a huge amount to burrow in, but would this pose a problem (Since B.Smithis do that).

My second question is on the hide, I use an old used plant pot that has been washed out thoroughly but traces of dirt remain, this wouldn't pose a threat to Lilith? It shouldn't be right if the dirt hasn't been treated with any chemicals?

If all is fine I'll use a hot screwdriver for ventilation and use her current water bowl (last two pictures)

My last question is on feeding: I bought some roaches (last picture) and they're much bigger than what I was expecting. I popped one in and Lilith tagged it but wasn't able to take it down so I removed it (after 24 hours).

Does that roach look too big? I've seen videos of smaller B Smithis take down huge prey but I'm a little concerned I'll hurt her, I would prefer to feed her smaller prey and will do in future but now I'm stuck with roaches. If that size is fine for her, then is there any tips on feeding (I saw one guy tong feed a roach by flipping it on its back so the T could access the body).

If you can't see from the pictures, Lilith is about 2.5 inches long.

Thank you for all your advice, I'm thinking of getting a Grammostola pulchra in a couple months!

Last edited:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
everything looks fine, id just add a water dish though. if ah, Lilith, cant take down the prey you should either try smaller prey items or prekill the roaches.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Water dish needed

Pot not a problem, only issue is if it's a clay plot. I tend to be a careful keeper re: hides, and don't use items that are heavy. If it's clay (many people use terra cotta successfully) and you want to replace it, a cheap way is to use PVC pipe section, hot glue moss over it, OR hot glue coco fiber on it, then moss if desired. Here's an example below I made.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Personally I prefer to use hides that are open on the back, such as a cork half log or something. I bury it at a slight angle like a burrow would be in the wild.
But that's me.