new to the hobby - hello

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone,

Ive been looking for a decent message board/forum for the past few weeks - looks like ive found a good one here :)

I got my first T about 3 weeks ago - its a pretty docile curly hair, he is amazing.

Just a few questions though -

I only have maybe 1 to 2 inch of substrate in the tank - this isnt enough for him to burrow but he seems to move it around as he wishes and has constructed some kind of trench down one side of the tank - is this ok or should I put more substrate in so he can dig a deep burrow?

Also I think he is about 1 year old - he is maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inch legspan - how often will he moult, i think he moulted about a week before i got him (maybe a month ago) when can i expect next moult and is there anything I can do to make sure he is fine?

Ive tried looking for info on the web - but get a lot of conflicting info so im not sure what is right. At the moment he seems happy though - he is eating well and seems very tame (he doesnt mind sitting on my hand for a while).

I already have plans for a couple more tarantulas, they are fascinating to watch :)

Well Im proud to join the ranks of the tarantula lovers anyways :)

Cheers,

Stu

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Stu--

I'm sure other people can provide you with all the details you're looking for, but I just wanted to say that I have a pink zebra beauty that's between 1 and 1.5 inches and I only give her about 1.5 inches of substrate. She also builds trenches, but I prefer not to give her enough substrate to burrow deeply in. At that size they're molting so often and eating so much that it's nice to be able to keep an eye on them easily!

Best of luck to you
JOANIE

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good to have you here Stu.
My curly likes to burrow, so I put a hide in its enclosure then put substrate on top of it. Now I can see it in its burrow.
At 2" its should molt pretty often, depending on how much you feed it.I'd say every 30 to 45 days or so. IMO:)

Ernie

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah - i have a small piece of curved cork which I assumed the T would hide under - he seems happy just building though, been watching him for 1/2 hour, he is totally rearranging stuff all the time!

Joanie - whats your pink zebra beauty like? I was told by a friend that they are a very hardy and a good starter tarantula? That is one of the tarantulas on my list to get at the moment.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome Stu!! My curly does not burrow, she does not even use her hide. She has plenty of substrate to burrow if she wishes but has been in her enclosure for over 2 years and no burrow. She is a good feeder and very calm.

Andy

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just aquired a couple of chilean rose spiderlings :)

any advice on keeping very young T's- any special needs?

They are very small at the moment but seem to be ok - eating well and stuff.

I just looking forward to when they grow - I was told they make a very interesting spider?

cheers,

Stu

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi Stu,
Many conflicting views on Chilean Rose Hair tarantulas, Grammostola rosea . Some peple say they are very docile, some say they are unpedictable. I can tell you I've had a female for over 10 years that is now over 5 inches, and she is very docile.

The one thing that everybody seems to agree on is G. rosea is easy to care for. Don't be surprised if they go through periods of not eating for months. I think this is more common in adulthood. Give them water, they can live in dry conditions and can withstand drops in temperature as good as any species in my opinion.

Mine lives in AC that has daytime temperatures below 70 degrees (not my doing, out of my control). Other species can't take that daily cool temperature. They are hard to make a mistake with as adults, however spiderlings do require more care. Don't leave uneaten crickets more than 24 hours, and I usually leave them 10 hours max. Make sure crickets are the right size for your 'lings. Good luck :)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Stu --

Welcome!!! Im not gonna say anything that other people have already said -- same thing goes :)

and as for Pink Zebra Beauties (PZB) -- check out my post "E.campestratus pictures (sexy bugs...)" or something like that -- it should be right down -- They're great T's! There's a bunch of people that posted about their PZB too! Check it out!

if those pics don't make you want to buy one, i don't know what will :)

good luck and welcome to the hobby/obsession!

peace,
dave

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
With G. rosea, don't expect much as far as growth rate. They, by far, grow much slower than many other species.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
WELCOME STU!

I have 5 little curly slings, 1" to 2". I keep them in lucite boxes 4" x 4" x 3" tall with about 1/2" vermiculite kept very moist. I too like to keep an eye on them since they molt often. I use the white, twist off plastic tops from 2 liter plastice soda bottles, lay them on their side and bury them in the substrate. The curlies like to hide in there and thus, don't burrow much. Mine seem to be growing like weeds, they eat often and molt often!!! I give them 2 small crix in the morning nd 2 in the evening. They would eat more if given more, which I do on weekends. They will even eat a large, frozen defrosted cricket in one sitting!

Good luck with your little Curly, and welcome to the addiction!!