New to the hobby : Diary of my adventure

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I recently got my first 2 T's and i'm going to use this thread as a diary to keep updates about them. I hope you will enjoy it and give me good advices over time.

I first want to apology if it's not always perfectly structured and some pictures aren't great but i don't have a computer so i do everything with my phone but i will try my best. Also english is not my first language so don't be too harsh about it. :p

So let's Begin : I got my 2 T's on 17/03/20, a female geniculata and a female albopilosum. They are both around 5cm and look stunning !

IMG_20200317_121000.jpg IMG_20200317_121130.jpg

I prepared 2 terrariums that are essentialy the same. I used 30x22x19cm critter keepers in which i put coco fiber and made a hide with half a plastic flower pot with no rear and digged with my hand to make kind of a cave. I sticked some sphagnum moss on top of it with some aquarium sealant and added more on the terra to make some cheap decoration. I also put a sauce pot to make a waterdish.

IMG_20200307_031312.jpg
IMG_20200319_150301.jpg IMG_20200319_150308.jpg
IMG_20200318_142200.jpg

(That's funny because after 2 days the geniculata already moved away most of the moss from the top :D)

To feed them i bought some medium sized grasshoppers, that i feed with some vegetables (salad, pepper,...), I will also buy crickets and maybe roaches (well, not sure about that because i hate these guys) and on rare occasions some superworms but with that covid thing i'll stay with the locusts for now.

I wanted to name my T's but i'm not really good with that, i think i'll name the albo Tica because it's from Costa Rica, but i can't find a cool name for the genic, maybe Samba ? :D Feel free to give me some names !

On the 2 first days they didn't want to eat but they already explored most of their new environnement, sometimes chilling in their cave, sometimes walking around and making some silk.

Today genic took her first meal, i was so thrilled :D

IMG_20200319_195549.jpg
Sorry for the bad quality of pics, i'll try to make it better from now.

This is it for the first 3 days, i'll keep updating with new informations every time i'll see some interesting stuff and some pictures of the girls to see how they grow.

Thank you for reading me :)

Last edited:

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
This is amazing and wonderful. You have obviously put a lot of forethought and planning into starting this thread.

I will get to see your spiders grow, and mature...and I will get to see your skills and knowledge of this great hobby grow and mature right along side.

Thank you...I will be following your thread.

Very cool. :cool:

Edit: The spider in the very first image...is simply beautiful. That image is eye catching and the subject is beautifully positioned, you don't need to apologize for anything. Good job.

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
This is amazing and wonderful. You have obviously put a lot of forethought and planning into starting this thread.

I will get to see your spiders grow, and mature...and I will get to see your skills and knowledge of this great hobby grow and mature right along side.

Thank you...I will be following your thread.

Very cool. :cool:

Edit: The spider in the very first image...is simply beautiful. That image is eye catching and the subject is beautifully positioned, you don't need to apologize for anything. Good job.
Thank you, it's nice to read good feedback like this ! Also thanks for your precious advices in pm. :D

I'll do my best to keep that thread interesting !

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I think it's great that you're documenting everything. This hobby is as fascinating as it is ridiculously addictive. And it is like a journey for each of us. I guarantee that in no time you'll be building up a collection. Nice choices for your first tarantulas, also. They are beautiful.

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
I think it's great that you're documenting everything. This hobby is as fascinating as it is ridiculously addictive. And it is like a journey for each of us. I guarantee that in no time you'll be building up a collection. Nice choices for your first tarantulas, also. They are beautiful.

Eheh thank you and yes i believe i will have some extras someday, i have some wishes for later like a metallica, a versicolor or a straight horned baboon but i want more experience before i get Old Worlds. Spiders are awesome, i used to keep tegenarias and it was fun too but i wanted to go to the next level. :D

I also kept stick insects and mantises (really exciting bugs, i recommand it) but they don't live that long. I also have a Furcifer Pardalis ambato chameleon :)

Ps: i noticed a bald spot on my genic, i read that it's ok but i'd rather show you guys just in case :

IMG_20200319_144830.jpg

What do you think ?

Short update : albopilosum still didn't eat though i guess it's ok but i have a question : i noticed white "stains" on the substrat :

IMG_20200321_151717.jpg

I hope this is some webbing and not some mold, can you please tell me ?

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Use “oblique lighting technique”...you should be able to tell if it’s growing up or if it’s laying flat.

Growing up = mold
Laying flat = spider silk

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure i understand what you mean but this is the most oblique i can get

IMG_20200321_201534.jpg

What do you think ? Looks like webs to me but i can't be sure.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dont mind the white dots. If it is mold it is harmless. Some of my envlosures are full of funghus and mold.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Dont mind the white dots. If it is mold it is harmless. Some of my envlosures are full of funghus and mold.
Yeah, mold is harmless for the most part. However, it might be a sign that you're overdoing it with moistening the substrate. I'd let it dry out a little.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutely right. It is a sign of bad ventilation, too humid and boluses left in the tank, or wrong kind of wood.
I wrote that my tanks was full if mold, that was not right, but i have plenty of funghus. But that is nit because of bad ventilation or too moist, merly because the substrate contains funghus spores

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
I never misted the tank, i simply put a water dish.And i prepared the enclosures like 2 weeks before i got the spiders and nothing happend until i put it in. So that would be surprising if it was mold but i'm glad to read that is harmless... Also the other one looks fine. I'll keep an eye on it anyway, thank you for your advices :)

Colorado Ts

Arachnoangel
Yeah, mold is harmless for the most part. However, it might be a sign that you're overdoing it with moistening the substrate. I'd let it dry out a little.
This advice right here...I'd increase the ventilation if at all possible. Don't go overboard, but enough to promote nice airflow and air exchange.

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
I would need a powertool to make holes on that i guess, with the coronavirus quarantaine i'm afraid i can't do it right now :/

Geniculata took her 2nd meal today :) Albopilosum still didn't eat, she's acting weird. She walks to the prey and "plays" with it with her legs but never grab it then eventually leaves when the prey starts moving too much. Maybe i should try with smaller prey but that's all they got left at the petshop.

My albopilosum still doesn't want to eat, besides that she's pretty active so i guess it's ok but i'm a little worried...

Arachnoenthusiast

Arachnoknight
My albopilosum still doesn't want to eat, besides that she's pretty active so i guess it's ok but i'm a little worried...
You could try a prekill item. My b.hamorii just runs from live prey currently, so I usually leave a prekill after first trying live

Fhrnht

Arachnopeon
Ok thank you i will do that.

It didn't work, the locust is still here...

EDIT : 29/03 she finally took it :D

A few updates on my T's :

They are doing well, geniculata is a good eater ans watching it grab a prey is always thrilling. It spends most of its time on display.

Albopilosum is a shy one, only taking prekilled preys ans spending most or its Time underground (and going back there everytime i open the terra :p ) It also started digging tunnels near the edge of the terra so i can still see it :)

IMG_20200421_142057.jpg

IMG_20200421_142107.jpg

My only "concern" is that their water dishes mysteriously get empty all the time and i don't understand how since they can't move it and that is quite deep.

I can't wait to see them molt for the first time but i have no idea on when it will happen.

Ynnoslol

Arachnopeon
A few updates on my T's :

Albopilosum is a shy one, only taking prekilled preys ans spending most or its Time underground (and going back there everytime i open the terra :p ) It also started digging tunnels near the edge of the terra so i can still see it :)

My only "concern" is that their water dishes mysteriously get empty all the time and i don't understand how since they can't move it and that is quite deep.
The same happening in my albo's enclosure, his water dish gets empty like real quick and after its almost empty it fills it with dirt :'D I dont know how they emtpy the water dish so quick and i dont see that it would just splash it out because the substrate around the dish is not wetter and i check on my dears everyday. Is it possible they drink so much or not sure how it happens. My albo is a little sling, molted only 4 times yet. :)

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Sometimes water can wick out of dishes with the slightest bit of substrate around the dish. Especially if the dish is tipped even slightly.