New to the Hobby. Care Questions for Avicularia, Avicularia.

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
7CFF9EC7-B965-4C42-9985-8F2FE3EB1BD7.jpeg Today I purchased a Guyana Pinktoe Tarantula. I have done quite a bit of research on T’s and the different care they have but I am nervous with this being my first one. Ive included a picture of its current enclosure. The top is all screen. Im a bit worried about ventilation after doing some reading on the species. Looking for suggestions on best ways to keep humidity and temperature regulated as well as feeding and just general care suggestions. I want to give this T the best life I can so thank you in advance for any info.

Attachments

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Dry substrate, (some may use moist sub as well) ventilation on those types unless you are proficient at cutting glass will be difficult. The mesh could cause a problem, if you change it to plexiglass it wont hurt. Do you have more pictures of your A. Avic (assuming) by chance?

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
Dry substrate, (some may use moist sub as well) ventilation on those types unless you are proficient at cutting glass will be difficult. The mesh could cause a problem, if you change it to plexiglass it wont hurt. Do you have more pictures of your A. Avic (assuming) by chance?
I added some more photos to the original post.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/fantastic-beginner-tarantulas-and-how-to-keep-them.314840/ Gives you a pretty good run down on basic care. You'll find the links to two threads on Avicularia (or pink toe) care in there as well, which you should definitely read.
Thank you :)

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Guyana pink toe is A. Avic right? If that is, it is the darkest carapace I've seen on one.

Did they tell you when it molted last? Size of the abdomen to me, looks like it was pretty recent.
My thumbnail pic is my female A. avic, for a quick reference.

Sure someone with more info will chime in.

@cold blood is this A. avic or one of the morphs, looks like 6 to me, but idk.

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
I got it from a pet store And it was labeled as Guyana Pinktoe (A. Avic.). They did not tell me the last time it molted but I have noticed how dark it is and the size of its abdomen seems on the smaller side atm. It started to web a bit when I put it in the enclosure yesterday 2/3/19 but its been pretty inactive through the night. Hasnt seemed to of moved since last night.

Last edited:

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
You can always post clear pictures of the pedipalps, the bottom and top of the tarantula in the sexing and identification tabs if you are curious. I was just curious myself, it could be just really dark.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I would change the enclosure for the sake of more ventilation, I use dry sub for my avic. and put a bunch of fake plant stuff, it is always so hangry it will even eat dead super worms, which I have always have bad experience feeding to my other arboreals.
don't spray btw, it will be fine without it and isn't really necessary. no point in having the hygrometer either or the temp, the thermostat will work fine. I actually like that hide though, I hope you don't mind telling me where you got it or what it was called?

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
I plan to change the enclosure just havent found one I like yet with the proper ventilation. The hide is actually from an old aquarium my family had when I was a kid. It was in storage for a while so I gave a good cleaning and thought it would be a good piece for an arboreal.

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
There are several online t vendors which make enclosures out of high quality acrylic/plexiglass if you want to spend the money, or follow building guides if you want to go that route. Pet store ones are typically all the same.
But, I have 2 different exo with an A. avic and A. avic morp 6 in them for about 9 months, no problems.
If you know any professional glass cutters they could modify that for you as well.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No time to write a lot, but

From that single pic that’s no morphotype 6, not a single white tipped setae, need better pics to be absolutely sure. If a high res pic doesn’t show a nice poofy T with white tipped setae and white setae on dorso—lateral region of abdomen, then it’s not #6.

Read more about Avics, clearly you haven’t, apparent by your concern on humidity.

Where in your research did you learn humidity was very important?

Replace screen with plexiglass, or your T might get stuck in screen.

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
No time to write a lot, but

From that single pic that’s no morphotype 6, not a single white tipped setae, need better pics to be absolutely sure. If a high res pic doesn’t show a nice poofy T with white tipped setae and white setae on dorso—lateral region of abdomen, then it’s not #6.

Read more about Avics, clearly you haven’t, apparent by your concern on humidity.

Where in your research did you learn humidity was very important?

Replace screen with plexiglass, or your T might get stuck in screen.
I've read quite a bit in the last few days of owning it. Most of my free time has been dedicated to making sure I'm learning and giving it the best care I can. I am new to this and although had done quite a bit of research before hand am always nervous of doing something wrong. I joined this forum as soon as I was aware for helpful hints and peace of mind.im glad I did because evidently I was getting alot of misinformation online. I was unaware that care sheets were pretty much crap information until I joined this forum so my initial humidity concern was from those. I have since learned thats not an issue. I've attached some more photos hoping its a clearer view.

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
That's certainly an Avic, but it doesn't look like a morph #1 or a morph #6. Not to me, at least. The setae isn't white tipped like in #6, nor does it have the red setae most other morphs have. I'm going to call in @CEC because they're incredibly knowledgeable about the different Avics. Maybe it's one of the more uncommon morphs?

It's not a mature male, as you can see the palps in one of the first few pics. But I still couldn't tell you whether it's male or female though.

Has it eaten since you got it? I honestly thought it looked ragged, thin, and in bad shape in the first pics. But it looks much better to me in the most recent pics you posted.

I have my Avic in an upright turned kritter keeper, and my C. versicolor in an old cheeseball food container. Perhaps either of those would work to your liking? To be honest, while ventilation is important with these guys, as long as you aren't keeping the substrate wet, the proper amount of ventilation can be achieved by poking holes in the sides and top of the enclosure. There's no need for any type of screen, especially since it poses the risk for the T getting a leg stuck. I do admit to using small circles of mesh in my C. versicolor enclosure though, so I can't exactly argue against them completely.

20180717_151207.jpg 20180717_151412.jpg

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
That's certainly an Avic, but it doesn't look like a morph #1 or a morph #6. Not to me, at least. The setae isn't white tipped like in #6, nor does it have the red setae most other morphs have. I'm going to call in @CEC because they're incredibly knowledgeable about the different Avics. Maybe it's one of the more uncommon morphs?

It's not a mature male, as you can see the palps in one of the first few pics. But I still couldn't tell you whether it's male or female though.

Has it eaten since you got it? I honestly thought it looked ragged, thin, and in bad shape in the first pics. But it looks much better to me in the most recent pics you posted.

I have my Avic in an upright turned kritter keeper, and my C. versicolor in an old cheeseball food container. Perhaps either of those would work to your liking? To be honest, while ventilation is important with these guys, as long as you aren't keeping the substrate wet, the proper amount of ventilation can be achieved by poking holes in the sides and top of the enclosure. There's no need for any type of screen, especially since it poses the risk for the T getting a leg stuck. I do admit to using small circles of mesh in my C. versicolor enclosure though, so I can't exactly argue against them completely.

View attachment 299501 View attachment 299499
Ooooo that's a very pretty tarantula. It's eaten a few times since I've gotten it but I've only had it for 4 days or so. It was kept in small container and they had been feeding it small crickets. I've given it 2 med-large crickets and it's eaten both to my knowledge. I bought an exo Terra Nani tank for it. I know it's probably not the best but I've read quite a few people have avics in them and they're living fine. I've kept the enclosure dry except.for it's water dish as many people have told me to do. I am very curious as to figuring out the morph and sex but that's definitely beyond my knowledge so far. I haven't been able to get any underside pics of it yet but hope to soon.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Ooooo that's a very pretty tarantula. It's eaten a few times since I've gotten it but I've only had it for 4 days or so. It was kept in small container and they had been feeding it small crickets. I've given it 2 med-large crickets and it's eaten both to my knowledge. I bought an exo Terra Nani tank for it. I know it's probably not the best but I've read quite a few people have avics in them and they're living fine. I've kept the enclosure dry except.for it's water dish as many people have told me to do. I am very curious as to figuring out the morph and sex but that's definitely beyond my knowledge so far. I haven't been able to get any underside pics of it yet but hope to soon.
Yeah, she's very pretty. I use pictures of her to win over arachnophobes when I encounter them. Lol

I'm glad to hear it's eaten. It looks much, much better. :) I'd say maybe feed it once more and then it should be fine to switch to weekly or bi-weekly feedings. Do you happen to know the diagonal legspan (DLS, or the legspan from the tip of one of the first front legs to the opposite last back leg) of it? Bigger Ts need food less often. I feed my adult female a superworm bi-weekly.

Exo terras are fine, but I would still suggest replacing the screen mesh on the top with plexiglass. I believe there's tutorials floating around on here about how to swap it out. Even climbers like Avics can get stuck in the mesh, and it's not a fun experience for you or the T. It's better to be safe than sorry, you know? ;)

Avics in general are tough to pinpoint the exact species and/or morph, so that'll be tricky. But sexing it should be easy enough with a good underside shot

By the way, congrats on the new T!

MelloHippie

Arachnopeon
Thank you I'm very excited to have it and with more experience I hope.tomget more in the future. Yeah it seems to be doing better than when I first brought it home. It moves a around a bit faster and seemed to take to food pretty well. I did my best to measure it's legspan and Id say about 5 1/2". Also tried to get underside pics. They're not the best but it's the best I've gotten so far.

Attachments

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yeah, she's very pretty. I use pictures of her to win over arachnophobes when I encounter them. Lol

I'm glad to hear it's eaten. It looks much, much better. :) I'd say maybe feed it once more and then it should be fine to switch to weekly or bi-weekly feedings. Do you happen to know the diagonal legspan (DLS, or the legspan from the tip of one of the first front legs to the opposite last back leg) of it? Bigger Ts need food less often. I feed my adult female a superworm bi-weekly.

Exo terras are fine, but I would still suggest replacing the screen mesh on the top with plexiglass. I believe there's tutorials floating around on here about how to swap it out. Even climbers like Avics can get stuck in the mesh, and it's not a fun experience for you or the T. It's better to be safe than sorry, you know? ;)

Avics in general are tough to pinpoint the exact species and/or morph, so that'll be tricky. But sexing it should be easy enough with a good underside shot

By the way, congrats on the new T!
I agree! OP should also consider looking out for one of those large containers that "cheese balls" and pretzels are packaged in. I'm currently munching my way through a giant tub of pretzels so I can use the enclosure for an arboreal T. :astonished:

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
After comparing the coloration of this on to one in the gallery posted by @Kimora in 2017, the colors are similar. Good luck with the vent sexing picture you posted. I'm terrible at that.