New to the Forum and T. blondi questions..

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello, I am new to the forum and new to keeping tarantulas also (got my first one in July of 2001). I am fascinated by them and and really enjoying working with them. I currently have 13 T's and my collection consists of:

1.1 G. rosea
0.2 A. seemanni
2 unsexed juvenile seemanni
1 juvenile A. avicularia
1 juvenile A. versicolor
1 spiderling B. boehmei
1 spiderling B. smithi
1 spiderling C. cyaneopubescens
and as of yesterday, 2 subadult T. blondi

I was in a pet shop yesterday and saw what were labeled as 1.1 T. blondi. The owner said he had recently purchased them, along with a few other animals, from a guy that needed some money pretty badly, so I'm guessing he didn't pay much for them. They were priced at $75 each and I was able to trade a couple of nicer leopard geckos I had produced earlier in the year for them. They are both the same size, about 7" legspan so I am assuming they are fairly young. I have no idea if the are cb or wc, the pet shop owner didn't know much about them at all.

As I was moving them to their new enclosures last night I was able to take some pictures of their undersides. Here is what is supposed to be the male:

And this one was labeled female:

I have looked at many pictures and diagrams showing the differences in male and female tarantulas and I am thinking that they are correctly sexed but I am still unsure. Anyone else have an opinion on them?

Also, at what age and/or size does T. blondi become mature? Since they look to be about the same age, will the male most likely become mature before the female?

Sorry for so many questions but I am really wanting to learn all I can about these guys. I have looked at plenty of webpages/caresheets etc. but would like to get opinions from you all. I have been lurking here for awhile and have learned many things from this board. Thanks in advance.

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The top photo is definitely male. I can't see the area clear enough on the bottom photo to be certain, but it appears to be female. Tarantulas mature at different ages and sizes depending on numerous factors. I have personally had male T. blondis as small as 7.5" and as large as almost 10". Usually males do mature earlier than females when kept under the same conditions.

Hope this helps,

John

Last edited:

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our male T. blondi was about 7" before his ultimate molt. Now that he is mature, he is about 10". The photos are not the best, but it does seem like the spider in pic 1 does seem to have that straighter line at the epigastric furrow indicating it is male. In pic 2, there does seem to have a nice curve there between the book lungs, indicating it is a female. That is just my opinion and the pictures are not very clear. It must be nice to be able to get sexed tarantulas at a pet store. The few that carry T's here only have Rosies, Pinktoes, and maybe a Stripeknee. They have no idea about latin names, sexing, or how to properly keep a tarantula for that matter. We have even told one pet store to use open waterdished instead of sponges. I went back there for crickets yesterday and they had taken the waterdishes out alltogether!!! Others keep adult T's in deli cups with no water or substrate. The one you go to seems to know more than any pet shops in my area.

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys, I appreciate your replies. Both blondi appear to be in good shape and both feasted on a fuzzy mouse today. I have been wanting to work with them for quite awhile so it was quite a nice surprise to happen upon this pair. I normally would buy from a breeder or dealer but this was an excellent opportunity for me to do some trading for herps. Thanks again-

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
AH. A fellow North Texan! We seem to be few and far inbetween these days. Where did you purchase these T blondi ?

KelliH

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Das-

The blondi came from a little hole in the wall shop in Mesquite called, "The Pet Shop" (pretty original, eh). They have quite a large selection of herps, mostly common stuff, and had exactly 5 tarantulas :1 rosehair, 2 subadult seemanni (i got them too btw, I couldn't help it, they were in sad shape) and 2 T. blondi. I think it was sort of a fluke that he had the blondi. I'm glad I got them when I did, when I cleaned out the pet pals they had been living in there were maggots in them, grrrrhh.

You're from Dallas, cool! i was born and grew up in Garland, I moved to Fort Worth in '00 when i got married. We should stay in touch, perhaps do some trading in the future.

Peace

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kelli,
Welcome to the forum, it'll be nice haveing you around.:)
I hope to get a T.blondi soon. Theres a shop here that has a adult female thats about 7" for $200.00. I think thats a fair price.
What do you think?

Ernie

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
$200 seems a little pricey to me, go to any ivert show and you can usually pick up a nice female for around a hundred.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ernie,
Wait til Carlsbad! You just may find a good deal there. Btw, Mendi is selling her 5 inch female on petbugs auction thingy.
Peace,
Gillian

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by MrT
Kelli,
Welcome to the forum, it'll be nice haveing you around.:)
I hope to get a T.blondi soon. Theres a shop here that has a adult female thats about 7" for $200.00. I think thats a fair price.
What do you think?

Ernie

Dude, I will sell you TWO 7 inch female blondi for 200 bucks. If you want some ;)

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by KelliH
Das-

The blondi came from a little hole in the wall shop in Mesquite called, "The Pet Shop" (pretty original, eh). They have quite a large selection of herps, mostly common stuff, and had exactly 5 tarantulas :1 rosehair, 2 subadult seemanni (i got them too btw, I couldn't help it, they were in sad shape) and 2 T. blondi. I think it was sort of a fluke that he had the blondi. I'm glad I got them when I did, when I cleaned out the pet pals they had been living in there were maggots in them, grrrrhh.

You're from Dallas, cool! i was born and grew up in Garland, I moved to Fort Worth in '00 when i got married. We should stay in touch, perhaps do some trading in the future.

Peace

Ah yes, the Pet Shop. I know where that is. Yeah, we'll do some trading sometime. I dont do herps but I have many many tarantulas. =) Keep me on your list