New to the Boards and Hobby

Lost_Tarantula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I'm new to the boards and the hobby as stated in my title. I fell in love with tarantulas after I caught one in my garage. To this day I still don't know what species it is. Most likely a Texas tan or Texas brown. It's a mature male. My name is a tribute to the little guy. :D

Just thought I'd say hello.

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Much applause and welcome to the trade. It's always good to have new enthusiasts grow from personal experience rather than growth of trend. I hope your interest builds along with your knowledge and appreciation in the world of invert with its entirety and your horizons are broadened past the mere world of Tarantulas....but for now, welcome aboard! :D

In the shadow,
Marcus

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Welcome aboard,

Remember, the only dumb question is the one unasked.

Ernie

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome!

I am relatively new myself. Unfortunately tarantulas are not native to my area (Northern California), so all mine have been purchased. Still, I don't have to go too far south to find some, I just haven't had the time of late.

Do you have a picture of your tarantula?

Bryan

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope global warming speeds up so tarantuals can be found here.

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by JacenBeers
I hope global warming speeds up so tarantuals can be found here.
Ha! And I thought I had to drive a ways to find native tarantulas! You do have wolf spiders, I presume.

Bryan

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome : )

Im new here too...just to let you know that the ppl here are extremely helpfull, so dont hessitate to ask.

JacenBeers:I hope global warming speeds up so tarantuals can be found here.
: )
If that happens, you would prolly get ur trannys, and ill be swimmin with them fishes....heh heh....mebe can play Kevin Costner and go beat ppl up on my mean yacht:D

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Welcome!
One warning though: This hobby is the most addicting thing I ever encountered!
greetz!
Joost

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
It's good to see the many new faces we are getting here. Welcome to all of you and I must second Joost on what he says - it is an ADDICTION. I found the online community and venders just this year even though I had been into spiders for many years. My collection was meager when I first came online. But it's like being a kid in a candy store when you start browsing the vender sites. I now have over 50 T's.
And, like everyone says - this is a great family here and we are all willing to help each other out. You've got a question - ask - no matter how dumb you may think it is :D

Gail

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, the variety online is the danger. I went from 1980 or so until 1998 without ever owning more than two at one time. It was extremely unusual to ever find more than two varieties of T in any petstore and usually from the same list: B. smithi (and those disappeared in the mid 80s), A. seemani, G. rosea, A. avicularia, with the occasional poorly identified mystery spider (I did manage to start with a P. cancerides as my first because I didn't know any better :)).

After my last one died in '98 I was at a point in my life I wasn't looking to get any more pets unless it was another ferret. Three years go by and I'm interested in getting another tarantula. Like all my niche hobbies, I figure there ought to be somebody online supplying these things...

Heh, little did I know. Every T I'd ever read about in a book, and some I hadn't even heard of, were there for the asking, and as captive bred slings no less (oh, the novelty! baby tarantulas :D). So, after going nearly two decades with one, maybe two Ts at any given time, upon discovering you could mail order them over the internet in every variety under the rainbow I've got 17 of them and I am DYING for my birthday money from parents to get more ;)

Welcome to the addiction - allot your shelf space now and start saving deli containers and looking for kritter keepers on the cheap at yard sales ;P

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Greetings

Welcome aboard. I think you will find this to be a friendly and knowlegeable group.