New to tarantulas

Lyra

Arachnopeon
Just thought I'd say hello. I brought a juvenile Curly Hair T just under a week ago. He or she was out the first day then that night decided to make a burrow in the back corner and has been there ever since. I tried leaving a roach in last night with the head squished but removed it this morning. After reading the forum it seems this is what they do so I have just been leaving him or her alone. I sometimes see legs poking up at the top of the burrow. The T has water etc so I'm guessing will come out when it gets hungry. It would be nice to see it more to understand it's behaviour a bit and learn when it will molt etc but patience I suppose. :)

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Just thought I'd say hello. I brought a juvenile Curly Hair T just under a week ago. He or she was out the first day then that night decided to make a burrow in the back corner and has been there ever since. I tried leaving a roach in last night with the head squished but removed it this morning. After reading the forum it seems this is what they do so I have just been leaving him or her alone. I sometimes see legs poking up at the top of the burrow. The T has water etc so I'm guessing will come out when it gets hungry. It would be nice to see it more to understand it's behaviour a bit and learn when it will molt etc but patience I suppose. :)
Great beginner t you picked! And yes, going into adulthood your t will probably spend a lot of time underground, and it will definitely eat when it’s good and ready. If it’s a new enclosure that it’s in since purchasing it could take time for the t to get acclimated to its new home so it might exhibit behaviors that might make you question what you’re doing but RELAX! If you have any questions this is the perfect place :)

Last edited:

Lyra

Arachnopeon
Great beginner t you picked! And yes, going into adulthood your t will probably spend a lot of time underground, and it will definitely eat when it’s good and ready, if it’s a new enclosure it’s in since purchasing it could take time for the t to get acclimated to its new home so it might exhibit behaviors that might make you question what you’re doing but RELAX! If you have any questions this is the perfect place :)
Yes it is a new enclosure. I look forward to seeing it. Just need to keep my roaches alive and fed till it's ready to eat some.

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Yes it is a new enclosure. I look forward to seeing it. Just need to keep my roaches alive and fed till it's ready to eat some.
A new home can take time getting used to for a tarantula, weeks even. If it’s burrowing like you said it seems to already be making itself at home. It’s ok to wait a few days before attempting to feed again

Craig73

Arachnoangel
You’ll find your feeders will require more care and attention than the T. I just picked one up last week (sling) and was impressed when it took its first meal.

Congrats on the new T.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Congrats and Welcome and it is awesome that you have been reading posts to glean all this info. You T is behaving absolutely normal so yes, just relax. On some of my burrowers I don't see them until odd hours, same for my P Regalis. I saw her last night around 1 AM, that is when she feels comfortable enough to explore. They just do what they do and you just enjoy it for what that is

thatdadlife619

Arachnoknight
Congrats and Welcome and it is awesome that you have been reading posts to glean all this info. You T is behaving absolutely normal so yes, just relax. On some of my burrowers I don't see them until odd hours, same for my P Regalis. I saw her last night around 1 AM, that is when she feels comfortable enough to explore. They just do what they do and you just enjoy it for what that is
Spectator hobby for sure

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Hello, and welcome to tarantulas!

Sounds good so far! If they refuse food, I offer it less often. Just remember to hydrate and feed your feeders regularly while your T isn't in the mood for food.

T's are super fun and easy pets to keep! Don't let their unique behaviors stress you out too much, but if you need reassurance, you can always ask here.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
You’ll find your feeders will require more care and attention than the T.
When a dubia dies and you don't notice for a little bit 🤢

Congrats and welcome! When in doubt, remember: spiders know what they're doing most of the time, even if it looks odd to us. Just wait until it's first post-molt yoga session.

Lyra

Arachnopeon
When a dubia dies and you don't notice for a little bit 🤢
Ugh 🥺

I have to say I found handling the roaches to try one for feeding a bit awkward. Catching a little bugger took me a while, while I worked out how much grip I could get on it with the tongs. They are quite strong I could feel it pushing on the tongs when I'd finally got it. Then I had my other half help squash its head with a lollie stick. All very bizarre feeling. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, then I felt bad as I'd squished its head and my T didn't event eat it. 😆

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Ugh 🥺

I have to say I found handling the roaches to try one for feeding a bit awkward. Catching a little bugger took me a while, while I worked out how much grip I could get on it with the tongs. They are quite strong I could feel it pushing on the tongs when I'd finally got it. Then I had my other half help squash its head with a lollie stick. All very bizarre feeling. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, then I felt bad as I'd squished its head and my T didn't event eat it. 😆
You get used to doing the deed. I feed two ways, live and disabled. If I think there’s a chance a premolt is coming I disable the feeder squashing the head. They still twitch a little. Otherwise they go in live and I get to enjoy watching a hunt, ambush, or transient roach roaming around like a lost tourist. Feeding tiny slings has been interesting, I smash the whole feeder with tongs and have to use my fingers to get it off and drop in the enclosures....my least favorite method. Retrieving the uneaten mess is a challenge since they blend in with the sub.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
You get used to doing the deed. I feed two ways, live and disabled. If I think there’s a chance a premolt is coming I disable the feeder squashing the head. They still twitch a little. Otherwise they go in live and I get to enjoy watching a hunt, ambush, or transient roach roaming around like a lost tourist. Feeding tiny slings has been interesting, I smash the whole feeder with tongs and have to use my fingers to get it off and drop in the enclosures....my least favorite method. Retrieving the uneaten mess is a challenge since they blend in with the sub.
I always disable the little buggers, otherwise they play dead in my experience... and I hate finding them hiding under the water dish later on, thinking the T ate. I've heard some people say dubias aren't active enough for some Ts to react to, but I find they turn into wandering little zombies without their brains. I'm starting to feel like the karate kid with the tongs, I can't imagine using my fingers!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I always disable the little buggers, otherwise they play dead in my experience... and I hate finding them hiding under the water dish later on, thinking the T ate. I've heard some people say dubias aren't active enough for some Ts to react to, but I find they turn into wandering little zombies without their brains. I'm starting to feel like the karate kid with the tongs, I can't imagine using my fingers!
I started off with Dubias, and still have some, but have switched over to red runners. And yes, little tikes are notorious for playing dead or wondering like zombies and hiding. Decided to use one for a T that had dug out its hide last week and I guided the sucker into the hide like an idiot. I still can’t tell if it was eaten or hanging out. I’m not sticking my fingers in there to find out though.😋

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I started off with Dubias, and still have some, but have switched over to red runners. And yes, little tikes are notorious for playing dead or wondering like zombies and hiding. Decided to use one for a T that had dug out its hide last week and I guided the sucker into the hide like an idiot. I still can’t tell if it was eaten or hanging out. I’m not sticking my fingers in there to find out though.😋
if she's having issues handling Dubias, she won't be ready for runners. I prefer them as well.

Jess S

Arachnobaron
Out of my trio of T albo's , one never really bothered burrowing as a sling. The other 2 did and one was more reclusive than the other. When they became larger slings and then juveniles, they all stopped burrowing and were mainly either using hides or out in the open.
So you will see it! It knows what it's doing and will come out when it's ready

Craig73

Arachnoangel
if she's having issues handling Dubias, she won't be ready for runners. I prefer them as well.
They took me by surprise the first time I got them...fast and flighty. Even when I tap a few off the egg crate into a small cup, trying to get them with tweezers is like that old game whack a mole. I think I have set a record for longest time to feed a T, close to Nine minutes trying to get a pinhead. I’m now down to a minute at most, but cussing like a sailer.

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Maybe one day I'll get over the fear of red runners infesting my place, but today is not that day. Best thing about dubias is they can't do that.