New to tarantulas

annkdt7

Arachnopeon
I recently bought a tarantula spiderling and it won't come out of its hiding place to eat. It hasn't eaten since I owned it (now for about a week). I throw in small crickets every night, but the next day it is still there. I'm really worried:? any advice?

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Maybe it's going to molt leave it alone. Offer it food once a week. If it doesn't eat just try again next week. And when u get a chance buy a copy of the tarantula keepers guide

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Al of good info in their

killy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe it's going to molt leave it alone.
+1 - good advice -

Here's my story, sort of similar to yours - I picked up Tuppence, a 1/4" G. rosea on Thanksgiving Day (thank you Paul Becker) - he didn't eat at first - in fact, he didn't eat at all before he molted on Dec 12 ... then he continued not eating ... my dilemma was that I couldn't find pinhead crickets anywhere, Tuppence was refusing the mini-meal worms I was giving him, and I didn't want to feed him anything wild caught - I was almost to the point of calling in the big gun (Paul Becker) when an LPS employee suggested flightless fruit flies ... that was December 26, this is to say, an entire month of fasting. I figured anything and everything was worth a try - dang, the poor thing HAD to be just a little bit famished - so I got a bottle. (If you've never purchased a flightless fruit fly set up, try it sometime - it's fascinating to observe all 4 phases of the life-cycle of the fruit fly in one convenient location!) Well I'll be darned if little Tuppence didn't have a fruit fly in his micro-maw that very night. Was I one relieved little T-keeper!

The morals of the story are a) your situation is not without precedent, so don't despair ... b) not all LPS personnel are the numbskulls they have the reputation for being, ... c) as teensy-weensy as he is, the sling knows what he's (not) doing, and d) flightless fruit flies furnish fine fodder for finnicky fangs!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
a T not eating for a week can be normal. Sometimes pre-molt and sometimes stress. Quit throwing crickets in there, they tend to stress it more.

I hope the best and let's us know what up with the little guy or girl! ;)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nobody asked what species the tarantula was or if you moved it to a new home... If you put the T in a new home, it may be adjusting. Is it's abdomen black and shiny? How big is it? Little details make a difference sometimes. Oh yeah, if it's really small, crush the cricket's head and leave it in front of the hide overnight and see if the T eats it then..

JuGGaL0K0W

Arachnopeon
Also you can tear the back legs off a large cricket and leave them near the borrow. This has been working to feed my lil guys.

annkdt7

Arachnopeon
Thank you for all your advice! I feel much better! I'll give Romeo time to adjust to his new environment:)

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that instead of jumping into a new pet, that you should of done your research on it first. You would have known that this is normal. So with that said, I suggest your take the time to comb through the helpful stickies at the top of thos forum section, and maybe pick up the "Tarantula Keepers Guide". You can answer most of your questions on your own, and almost anything else you want to know just by doing that.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Spiderlings are secreteive by nature, let it be its probably getting ready to molt once it molts which can be up to another 2 weeks it will stay in its burrow and harden up for another 2-3 weeks so chances are the next time you see it, it will be alot bigger!:)

RoosterG

Arachnopeon
My Sling is doing the same exact thing..he hasnt been eatin either and i had him for about a week today..but im giving him time to adjust..no need to rush em..these guys can go awhile without eating..im pretty sure if hes hungry..hes gnna scarf w.e you give em down..Mines is a P.regalis probably slightly under n inch..He just finish webbing some dirt up and covered himself in...im just w8ting to see what hes gnna do now.. :? possibly molt? likely. anyway's just give the spider time is what im saying ^.^