New to T keeping need help

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Hi guys I'm new to this completely. Bought a B.vagan about 7 week's ago, was advised this was a good beginner. Since getting this I've read so many guides On Google and forums my eyes hurt. I have done the enclosure to the best of my ability going by what I have read but All that iv read about these completely contradicts my T characteristics. My B.vagan hasn't eaten since I got her, she has no dark spot on her abdomen to indicate premolt stage nor has she even tried to burrow or create 'web blanket'. She is extremely active in the evenings and night. I have tried different types of prey but she is almost frightened of the crickets or locus I've tried her with, she jumps and goes straight to her hide when I put them in. I've even seen a baby locus sit on her WTF???? Although she still seems to look bigger now that at first.. Please help me out. I have provided as much detail and info as possible. I'm fascinated by tarantulas and would appreciate any help/info/criticism anybody can offer.. TIA

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
What is the diagonal legspan of your tarantula?

Pictures of the tarantula and the whole enclosure would be helpful.

My B.vagan hasn't eaten since I got her, she has no dark spot on her abdomen to indicate premolt stage nor has she even tried to burrow or create 'web blanket'.
Refusing food is a classic sign of pre-molt (although tarantulas can fast for other reasons, such as being overfed). As long as she looks plump and has access to water, there is probably no reason to worry.

Depending on the size of the tarantula, it's not always obvious just from looking that a molt is imminent. This is mostly visible on slings and on older individuals with a bald spot. (The tarantula's hairs would otherwise obscure the discoloration.) Even then, the abdomen only gets really dark in the week/days before the molt; there can be a long period of pre-molt with no obvious discoloration.

Similarly, a molting mat is generally constructed within a day of the molt, so the absence of one does not necessarily preclude pre-molt.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys I'm new to this completely. Bought a B.vagan about 7 week's ago, was advised this was a good beginner. Since getting this I've read so many guides On Google and forums my eyes hurt. I have done the enclosure to the best of my ability going by what I have read but All that iv read about these completely contradicts my T characteristics. My B.vagan hasn't eaten since I got her, she has no dark spot on her abdomen to indicate premolt stage nor has she even tried to burrow or create 'web blanket'. She is extremely active in the evenings and night. I have tried different types of prey but she is almost frightened of the crickets or locus I've tried her with, she jumps and goes straight to her hide when I put them in. I've even seen a baby locus sit on her WTF???? Although she still seems to look bigger now that at first.. Please help me out. I have provided as much detail and info as possible. I'm fascinated by tarantulas and would appreciate any help/info/criticism anybody can offer.. TIA
Hi how large is the tarantula in question? Some will only take pre killed prey while they are smal so if you haven't already then give that a try because if it's hungry it will scavenge for food.
Also some tarantulas don't burrow at all even more so if an hide is provided as they tend to use this. A simple answer may be that it's just not hungry and is infact going or is already in pre moult as the abdomen doesn't just appear darkened overnight it's a gradual thing that can take days/weeks/months. The best thing if you can would be to post a picture so we can see the condition of the tarantula to give you more accurate advice

Devin B

Arachnobaron
It is extremely helpful to always provide a picture of the spider and the enclosure. Without a photo this sounds your T just isnt hungry. However like they always say a picture is worth a thousand words.

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Sorry I am taking so long to reply to everybody I really appreciate all the advice, she isn't really small and I have tried pre killedbrood too. I bought her as a juvenile and had a 15gallon tank which I was advised was too big as they need the security of smaller spaces so iv now got her in a much smaller space with water dish, hide, coco fibre substrate. I must seem like a dose but we all need to start somewhere .thanks guys, I'm just hoping she's ok and just doing what tarantulas do. She does seem to move about more at night since being moved to smaller enclosure. The photo of her in my hand is when i first got her 7week's ago. The others are her now

Attachments

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Sorry I am taking so long to reply to everybody I really appreciate all the advice, she isn't really small and I have tried pre killedbrood too. I bought her as a juvenile and had a 15gallon tank which I was advised was too big as they need the security of smaller spaces so iv now got her in a much smaller space with water dish, hide, coco fibre substrate. I must seem like a dose but we all need to start somewhere .thanks guys, I'm just hoping she's ok and just doing what tarantulas do. She does seem to move about more at night since being moved to smaller enclosure. The photo of her in my hand is when i first got her 7week's ago. The others are her now

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Got this really cool pic lastnight as she was climbing the sides, she does rhus every evening and seeme to just chill and barely move all day #fascinating

Attachments

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
It's hard to tell for sure based off your pics, but based on the behavior you've described I'm thinking you could have a mature male on your hands. A clearer photo showing the pedipalps would be very helpful.
EDIT: Didn't see the underside pic when I posted this, definitely not a MM.

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
I'm actually really disappointed as I bought it as a juvenile female as they live longer. Great to know that my new addition is well but a little disheartened to learn that she is actually a he.. Thanks very much tho to everyone who helped :)

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I'm actually really disappointed as I bought it as a juvenile female as they live longer. Great to know that my new addition is well but a little disheartened to learn that she is actually a he.. Thanks very much tho to everyone who helped :)
Based on the last pic you posted I don't think it's male.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
If she access to water, I wouldn't worry about it.

Just feed and remove uneaten prey until it decides to eat again. This can go on for a while. Maybe even a few months.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Your specimen does not appear to be in pre molt just yet, if you recently switched her enclosure it can take some time for them to get settled in. This might be the reason she's refusing food, I would give her a week and try again.

Your enclosure has far too much height, if your T climbed to the top and fell it could be fatal. Add a few inches of substrate, generally 2.5 × DLS is the guideline most abide by. ;) enjoy your vagans!

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Thank you, I ha've been removing old bits and even tried feeding less often. I will hold off to once a week and see how things go.

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Your specimen does not appear to be in pre molt just yet, if you recently switched her enclosure it can take some time for them to get settled in. This might be the reason she's refusing food, I would give her a week and try again.

Your enclosure has far too much height, if your T climbed to the top and fell it could be fatal. Add a few inches of substrate, generally 2.5 × DLS is the guideline most abide by. ;) enjoy your vagans!
Wow I hadn't thought of the height problem, I have still plenty of substrate to fill up, thank you very much I will take her out tomorrow evening and fix that.. Thank you very very much and I will mist definitely enjoy, I am completely fascinated with her. Thanks again

cold blood

Staff member
Yeah, you will want to fill that enclosure 3/4 of the way with sub.

Also and wood should be there for the t to get under, not climb on...tall things like that wood only encourage climbing.

It doesn't look al that fat, nor all that skinny. At that size I wouldn't bother with pre-killed prey. When its ready, it will eat...theyre a very good eating species, especially at that size.

NatashaG90

Arachnopeon
Yeah, you will want to fill that enclosure 3/4 of the way with sub.

Also and wood should be there for the t to get under, not climb on...tall things like that wood only encourage climbing.

It doesn't look al that fat, nor all that skinny. At that size I wouldn't bother with pre-killed prey. When its ready, it will eat...theyre a very good eating species, especially at that size.
The wood I use has a hide/cave type underneath so seeva seems happy there but since you have advised against it I have swapped it on its side, filled the floor (I sound like a dj) and I'm trying to relax. I think because I bought the T as a JUVENILE FEMALE and have recently been told iv a mature female I am not expecting as much and able to relax.. Thank you, very much appreciated. Oh and btw she climbed and fell thismorning, blood oozing from her leg but she somehow 'groomed' herself and is back to herself so really really good call on putting in more substrate, THANK YOU!!!!!!! Your advice might have actually saved her from a more serious fall

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
The wood I use has a hide/cave type underneath so seeva seems happy there but since you have advised against it I have swapped it on its side, filled the floor (I sound like a dj) and I'm trying to relax. I think because I bought the T as a JUVENILE FEMALE and have recently been told iv a mature female I am not expecting as much and able to relax.. Thank you, very much appreciated. Oh and btw she climbed and fell thismorning, blood oozing from her leg but she somehow 'groomed' herself and is back to herself so really really good call on putting in more substrate, THANK YOU!!!!!!! Your advice might have actually saved her from a more serious fall
:anxious:...... Keep your eyes on that leg!!! You need to be absolutely sure it isn't still leaking.

cold blood

Staff member
:anxious:...... Keep your eyes on that leg!!! You need to be absolutely sure it isn't still leaking.
unlikely...ts have a valve at the base of the leg that allows them to cut the fliw...which is why leg injuries are pretty inconsequential.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
unlikely...ts have a valve at the base of the leg that allows them to cut the fliw...which is why leg injuries are pretty inconsequential.
Hmm...... ok, that makes me feel better. Does that leg eventually die and fall off?