New to site, got a question...

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
Hi all, just started collecting T's, got three now. :)
I am a little concerned about my G. Rosea, I havent seen her eat for a couple of weeks now, I thought at the time she may just be getting ready to moult, but she hasnt yet. When I first got her she was a vicious killer, who showed no mercy to the little crickets I fed her..
But now she almost seems afraid of them, she rears up, but doesnt strike. I tried switching to smaller crickets, in case the ones I was feeding her were too feisty, but even the little ones dont seem to interest her.
I've observed her at all hours of the day and night, but she doesnt seem to want to feed. Any ideas anyone??

Thanks for your time

Carl :)

Boo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
How big is it ?
The name says it all (G. rosea)..... They are known to go on some pretty long fasts. Mine fasted over a year. As long as you keep fresh water in the enclosure she ? should be fine. Offer a few items once a week anyway, if she don't eat them after a day then remove them and try again in a week.

Good luck.

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
Hi thanks, thats put my mind at ease!!
She (as far as I'm aware she's a she!!) is about 5 inches with the legs out. She's grown loads since I had her, which has only been about 4 months. It's funny, I also have an A. Avicularia which is tiny, but she's a ravenous little monster!!

Cheers for the help
:)

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi as boo said g- rosea - can be a bit puzzling as to eating some eat well then just stop then when they feel hungry go back to eating and eating they are strange creatures lol you will soon know the enigmas of the ( t. s ) world £££ phil

Neuroticvirus

Arachnopeon
My G.rosea hasnt ate in a month now all it wants to do is sit on top of its wooden house and web it up.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Your rosea may still be getting ready to moult, they can go on long fasts before moults. They also can go on long moults at any time for no reason. I have one that I have had for over a year and when I first got it, it ate like crazy, it is a juvie and it ate and ate. It stopped about six months ago, in that time it may have eaten possibly 2 crickets. I think it needs to moult, but it could just be fasting because it wants to. Make sure your rosea has a water dish and that you keep it full. Keep the substrate dry, rosies hate damp substrate. Continue offering food once a week, if it isn't eaten after 24 hours, remove it and offer again in 7 days. I've heard of rosehairs fasting for up to 2 years. As long as its abdomen is looking full, and not shriveled, it is fine.

Midnight1983

Arachnopeon
Ok sounds like pretty normal behaviour, is that exclusive to G Rosea? I've observed the same thing with my H. Gigas.. Come to think of it, I dont think I've ever seen her eat, (but then again she sits happily in her burrow for most of the day, so who knows what she gets up to) :)