New to scorpions

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey,

I heard this place is great for information so I came to see if anyone could help me out! I'm new to owning a scorpion (Dont have it yet, going to get it soon). I'm going to get an Emp. Scorpion and I wanted to know the basic items I need to keep it comfortable, such as: what kinda bedding do i need? How much space do i occupy for the heating pad? Can I keep a male and a female in the same tank as soon as I get them?

A list of items would be great.

Thank you for your help!

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the wonderful world of scorpions, and welcome to the boards.

First off...bedding. For an Emp, you'll want either coco fiber, peat or potting soil (NO fertilizers!!). I personally use an organic potting soil called Black Earth (Wal-Mart for a dollar for a huge 10 kilo bag). But any of those three will work.

Secondly, you'll want either a heat mat attached to the side or back of the tank, on the outside of the tank. That, or you can opt for a ceramic heat lamp, or an infrared lamp. Don't use heating sources that are from below the tank, they're harder to control.

Thirdly, you'll want something they can hide in. A piece of cork bark, half a ceramic pot on it's side, etc. Something that they can scurry away to and feel safe.

And lastly, yes, you can put a male and female together. You might even end up lucky and have a bunch of little scorplings running around soon after. :)

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hehe, awesome. Thanks for the reply.

Also, what kind of heating source do you recommend?
For the bedding, do I have to replace it often? I haven't heard of a scorpion pooping or anything of that nature. :D

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Heat source, I would use a CHE (ceramic heating element), no light source but puts out alot of heat !

In some of my scorp cages I have not changed the substrate in ...8 months? hehe

Only reason to clean is if you have mites or other bug problems, spot clean every week or so.

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome, this information is seriously helpful.

Thank you for your time and patience!