New to Scorpions

KlaustheScorp

Arachnopeon
Hello, scorpion world!
I am very, very new to scorpions. Before a few days ago, the only scorpions I owned were the band. But, I was digging in my yard (in South-West California) and came upon one. I love animals and science and I thought my kids would get a kick out of seeing one, so I decided to catch it and keep it (and name it Klaus after the singer in the Scorpions). I have been doing as much research as I can, but it is pretty hard to find specified information for the species I own. I included a picture (definitely not my best work in terms of photography), but here's what I think I've determined so far.
I believe this is a California Common Scorpion (Paruroctonus silvestrii). I believe it is a juvenile male... and that's about it. I got a 5.5 gallon terrarium. I grabbed some dirt and rocks from where I found it to layer the terrarium. I got a ceramic heat lamp (one that puts off no light). I got a shallow water dish and I put a small sponge in it (the lady at the pet store didn't seem too knowledgeable and was looking stuff up on her phone as I was asking, but she told me the sponge would help them to not drown). I got a bunch of small crickets and have put two in the tank with him. He hasn't been too active yet, but it has only been a few days. I also read that they can be pretty stressed out when you change their environment, so I'm not too worried, yet. He may have eaten one of the crickets, but it also may be hiding and I just can't find it. He seems to like hiding by the heat lamp, but he also hides elsewhere (who knows where, because that guy can really blend in!). I have a heat pad on order.
Any information on what else I may need or how to care for him (or maybe her) would be appreciated! I'll try to get a better picture, but he hides a lot.
Klaus the Scorpion.jpeg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hello, scorpion world!
I am very, very new to scorpions. Before a few days ago, the only scorpions I owned were the band. But, I was digging in my yard (in South-West California) and came upon one. I love animals and science and I thought my kids would get a kick out of seeing one, so I decided to catch it and keep it (and name it Klaus after the singer in the Scorpions). I have been doing as much research as I can, but it is pretty hard to find specified information for the species I own. I included a picture (definitely not my best work in terms of photography), but here's what I think I've determined so far.
I believe this is a California Common Scorpion (Paruroctonus silvestrii). I believe it is a juvenile male... and that's about it. I got a 5.5 gallon terrarium. I grabbed some dirt and rocks from where I found it to layer the terrarium. I got a ceramic heat lamp (one that puts off no light). I got a shallow water dish and I put a small sponge in it (the lady at the pet store didn't seem too knowledgeable and was looking stuff up on her phone as I was asking, but she told me the sponge would help them to not drown). I got a bunch of small crickets and have put two in the tank with him. He hasn't been too active yet, but it has only been a few days. I also read that they can be pretty stressed out when you change their environment, so I'm not too worried, yet. He may have eaten one of the crickets, but it also may be hiding and I just can't find it. He seems to like hiding by the heat lamp, but he also hides elsewhere (who knows where, because that guy can really blend in!). I have a heat pad on order.
Any information on what else I may need or how to care for him (or maybe her) would be appreciated! I'll try to get a better picture, but he hides a lot.
View attachment 364060
Take out the sponge. Its a bacteria factory. As long as the dish is shallow and the scorpion can crawl out it'll be okay.

Watch the heat lamp, they can dessicate the animal.

If the live prey is not eaten overnight then remove them and try again next week.

Being that it is from the area and you are able to set it up to mimic their natural environment that works to your advantage.

Archer33389

Arachnopeon
Be careful putting heat pads directly under the tank. The scorpion needs to be able to get away from the heat and with a 5g tank it may be the majority of the tank. I personally think it is better to stick the heat pad to the outside wall of the tank so they get a good hotspot but also can get away from it if need be.

ThatOneGuyInAus

Arachnopeon
Ehhhh... the enclosure looks kind of plain. Try adding substrate and hides and your scorpion will replicate natural behaviour better although it means you'll probably see it less (my two scorps always hide.) Also, I wouldn't recommend taking home an animal without thorough research about the species before.

KlaustheScorp

Arachnopeon
Ehhhh... the enclosure looks kind of plain. Try adding substrate and hides and your scorpion will replicate natural behaviour better although it means you'll probably see it less (my two scorps always hide.) Also, I wouldn't recommend taking home an animal without thorough research about the species before.
I appreciate the reply. I do have substrate in the tank. I took dirt and rocks from my backyard where I found him, so, hopefully, that is as natural an environment as I can make within the tank. The picture is from a separate container. I'll try to upload a picture within the tank soon, but, as with your two, he hides a lot!