New to scorpions, Advice?

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
So I am looking to get my first scorpion soon. I have been keeping tarantulas for a couple of years already and had my first death (male, old age) which opened up space for a new critter.

What species would be best for a new scorp keeper? Care requirements?

Any advice is appreciated!

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Your 2 most common basic scorps would be the desert hairy or the Asian forest scorpion. Here in the U.S. I would say they are both very easy to take care of. If you're an experienced T Keeper you're already ahead of most newbies. Both of those scorpions are pretty safe to keep non lethal unless allergic of course. But like Ts they're are thousands to choose from. So depending on how safe. How "hot" you want yours. Do you want a burrower a or a bark species that is usually climbing and hanging out. Desert type? Do you want a larger species or a smaller species. Narrow down your selection here lol

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
Venom potency isnt too much of a concern. I would want a larger species that tends to be on display more rather than hiding like most burrowers so I guess a bark species. I think leaning toward a desert type would be wise since controlling humidity can be difficult at times in my house. Desert would also be a nice change from all my tropical trantulas

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Venom potency isnt too much of a concern. I would want a larger species that tends to be on display more rather than hiding like most burrowers so I guess a bark species. I think leaning toward a desert type would be wise since controlling humidity can be difficult at times in my house. Desert would also be a nice change from all my tropical trantulas
Parabuthus villosus is a great display scorp but pretty potent venom as parabuthus tend to have

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I just came across androctonus australis "hector morph I fell in love . But a large desert species would be a Giant desert hair. But they do burrow and hard to care for as slings and juvis but easy as adults

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
By the way if anybody knows anybody selling these let me know ASAP!!!

androctonus australis "hector morph

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
A Hadogenes could be considered as well.
I would say a Hadogenes species is the best beginner scorp. I have 4, and they are easily my favorite scorpions. They are some of the longest scorps in the world, with a really unique look. My females tend to be out at night and are decently active. They can be kept pretty dry and don't need many special requirements for humidity. Most troglodytes females are cheap too, they live forever :D One of the least potent scorps, it has little risk to it ;)

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hadogenes sp., Hoffmanius spinigerus, Smeringurus mesaensis and S. vachonii, Hadrurus arizonensis (adult preferred). All can be kept dry and all are very hardy. Hadogenes and Hadrurus are large, Smeringurus are medium, and H. spinigerus are small if that helps. All have very mild venom, though the Hadogenes have a hell of a pinch. Activity level really comes down to your setup and the individual scorp. I'd recommend avoiding any Buthidae for now until you gain more experience or at least have ways to set yourself up very safely.

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
I seen some nice young Trogs at a reptile last Sunday, really wanted to buy a couple. I picked up a male (AFS) Petersii for ten bucks, the guy a had a table load of them. I even handle my (AFS) Petersii, they seem pretty mellow.
As a first time owner, you cant go wrong with any of the species talked about in this thread, they are all super cool, I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
Id second H.Troglodytes as a great starter scorpion for there calm manner and low humidity requirements. but buy an adult or sub-adult if you plan on it being a display scorpion, as they are fairly slow growing.