New to hobby question!

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
A Mooreae are expensive because there aren't a lot of them around. So scarcity + desirability = $$$$.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Yea I saw <edit> one but only for local pickup for $350. I'd be curious to see one in person, see if the colors are "so much deeper" than the GBB.
The one that they have probably doesn't have much color yet. Mine is from the same sac and is still grey XD

One guy I know has the largest one from the sac that I know of, and it's just starting to have color.

Aphonopelma Mooreae are Primarily from Mexico and not legally exportable. There are captive breed in the US but these grow so slow. That’s what I had read anyways. I want one, but not at the asking price when they are available.
Afaik both sacs that came in were legally imported into the US and have the same mother but a different father. I know the vendors who brought them in personally and have spoken to them about the imports.

The main problem with their availability, as far as I understand it, is that the areas on the Mexico side of the border where the species is endemic are heavily controlled by cartels, so they are not an easy species to obtain because it's incredibly dangerous to look for them. I've seen people mention that the species has been observed on the US side of the border but I haven't seen evidence of this, personally (that doesn't mean that they haven't, though).

Last edited by a moderator:

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
The one that they have probably doesn't have much color yet. Mine is from the same sac and is still grey XD

One guy I know has the largest one from the sac that I know of, and it's just starting to have color.
That’s really cool that you have one! Is it more dangerous to go look for them because of the location or the cartels? lol

Hafi

Arachnopeon
Yea I saw FNT has one but only for local pickup for $350. I'd be curious to see one in person, see if the colors are "so much deeper" than the GBB.
I just want to add that if it's looks you're after, you could google some pics of the Caribena versicolor. In my opinionn the most beautiful Tarantula and if you get one as a sling it'll be awesome to watch it grow up from a vibrant shiny blue to it's purple red pinkish adult colors :)

Craig73

Arachnoangel
That’s really cool that you have one! Is it more dangerous to go look for them because of the location or the cartels? lol
Pack your bags, we‘re sending you on an expedition. We have a donkey ready for you at an undisclosed location at the border that will guide you through the rough terrain, just trust us.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
from all the pix where I can tell the photogs didn't over saturate the color I'm gonna wager "similar' to the GBB

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Someone on here called A mooreae the "rich man's GBB" and I think that really covers it, color-wise XD Sure they look gorgeous when they're adults, but if money is an issue and you don't want to have to write it into your will, might as well get a GBB. GBBs are fun as hell, too.

Same with Sahydroaraneus raja - might as well save some money and get a K brunnipes XD

Craig73

Arachnoangel
This is going to light a fire under my tail to get new enclosures ready for some rehousing this weekend. I have a couple of avics to upgrade, a P. Irmania, and prep for my first ow transfer.