New to hobby question!

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
When I add more holes tonight I’ll do mid and sub holes. I’ll make a template as well, great ideas!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
imo an Alvin rolling ruler is the best investment. It has hole templates already made out for you in CM and half inch increments. It has really sped up my ventilation marking.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Okay it’s time for the reveal of the New enclosure. Hopefully I did a good job lol. I added more ventilation holes up top, in mid, and at sub levels. I added quite a bit of greenery up top to simulate a tree, and added a long thing of cork bark almost but not all the way to the top. Two water dishes were recommended, one on the substrate, one up in the tree area. I also put a door on top to compliment the door on the front to make it easier to refill the upper water dish and assist in feeding time.

sorry about the sideways pics, don’t know why it rotated all of them lol.

Attachments

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Do you guys think it would be better if i took out a bit of the foliage? I know they like to web up quite a bit, so I was thinking of taking out some leaves so there's a bit more open space up top. Just wanted your thoughts on it first. @Craig73 i need your wisdom here oh avic lord supreme lol.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Do you guys think it would be better if i took out a bit of the foliage? I know they like to web up quite a bit, so I was thinking of taking out some leaves so there's a bit more open space up top. Just wanted your thoughts on it first. @Craig73 i need your wisdom here oh avic lord supreme lol.
Lighten up the foliage a bit. The T should be able to move freely and also not impede your ability to get in there if needed. You should have enough to provide shelter but not so much you need to order a manscape trimmer, and if you have one now is the time to use it. 😆

A lot of times I hot glue the stems of the leaves to the cork bark. You could also make a small hole in the cork and stick it in that way too.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
okay! I will adjust it a bit when i get home. he/she seems much more relaxed at least, no more stress pose at least. found some nice hiding spots in the leaves this morning. hopefully it'll head over to the cork bark at some point lol.

Thank you for the advice... again!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Nice! My A Avic doesn’t web much unless it’s molting and will chill on the bark near the leafs out in the open. My A. Kwitara is the same. Hopefully you’ll get to observe it a lot out and about.

The Y. Diversipes web a good bit and sit out on their webs. The C. Versicolors are pretty much the best webbers and make some awesome tunnel webs but more skittish compared to the others. My A. Minatrix is a sweetheart and the most reclusive/shy of the bunch.

They‘re all amazing to look at. I started off with just arboreals in mind, but have expanded to terrestrials. The T. Albo has quickly become one of the top favorites along with the G Iheringi. And the dwarf species have kept me on my A game as far as patience.... .25” or smaller slings has been a whole new experience for me.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Arboreals are definitely pretty cool. The T Seladonia is on our dream list, as i think it'd be super cool to watch how an arboreal trapdoor would work. I want to make sure we're more experienced though before droppin an arm and a leg for a sling lol.

I love dwarves, they're so cool. Someday we'll get into it, but I applaud you for taking on that challenge!

I'll remove some of the foliage from this avic's enclosure, then hopefully she can relax and feel more at home. Thanks for the feedback!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
T Seladonia looks like a sweet T. There’s a member here that has a several of them and she’s posted about them with some great photos.

Neholothele fasciaaurinigra is my dream T. They are hard to find, or if they are available expensive. Always good to have something to dream for.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
@Craig73 Well she got busy today webbin up the opposite side of the enclosure that I had tried to set up as her haven lol. She was very much more active today which was nice to see. I decided she may feel comfortable enough to eat, and her abdomen was lookin a bit small, so I plopped a cricket in there and left her alone for some privacy (she always turns towards us when we watch lol) and when I came back she had gotten the cricket and I interrupted her doin a happy dance! So cute!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
That’s great news!! Well...maybe not so great news if you were the cricket. So glad to here it’s settling in.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I think a m. Balfouri would be a good ow species to start with.
I would like a communal of them at some point so I think I’m going to wait on that until I go for the “pack” haha

@Craig73 Second Avic incoming. Wife found her at a garage sale of all places in a critter carrier the height of her body. Again unplanned, but I might as well become your arboreal apprentice at this point. 😂

Hafi

Arachnopeon
I have a GBB and she is definetly the most OW one i have. When i rehoused her she got super defensive, gave me threatpostures and slapped the straw and the catch cup. Lots of jumpscares. Obviously individuals behave differently but if you get one like mine, it'll definetly be atleast some kind of OW practice. However my favorite T is my Tliltocatl albopilosus (ex. Brachypelma albopilosum). She's really kind, a great builder and a good eater. Could definetly recommend, not for OW practice but just because they're rad!

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I have a GBB and she is definetly the most OW one i have. When i rehoused her she got super defensive, gave me threatpostures and slapped the straw and the catch cup. Lots of jumpscares. Obviously individuals behave differently but if you get one like mine, it'll definetly be atleast some kind of OW practice. However my favorite T is my Tliltocatl albopilosus (ex. Brachypelma albopilosum). She's really kind, a great builder and a good eater. Could definetly recommend, not for OW practice but just because they're rad!
That's funny! The sassy pants mood is so funny to watch. We plan on ordering a G pulchra and it comes with a free T albo. Everyone recommended the albo since they seem to all have such silly attitudes. I'm down for that!

Also, side question, do you know what the main differences are (besides species obviously) between the Aphonopelma Mooreae and the GBB? I realize one is much "rarer" than the other, but how much do their personalities actually differ and why are the A Mooreae's so sought after?

Hafi

Arachnopeon
We plan on ordering a G pulchra and it comes with a free T albo.
That's awesome! I got mine as a freebie too, seems like people just have too many of them all around the world.
Also, side question, do you know what the main differences are (besides species obviously) between the Aphonopelma Mooreae and the GBB? I realize one is much "rarer" than the other, but how much do their personalities actually differ and why are the A Mooreae's so sought after?
I don't have specific information about the A mooreae but i'm pretty certain that the only reason it is so sought after IS because it's rare in the hobby. From what i've seen this is just what always happens when a new species gets introduced into the hobby until people start really breeding them and they become widely available. But since you, like me, haven't been keeping T's for dozens of years they're all "new" and exciting :) (although take what i just said with a grain of salt because i don't actually know about that species).

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Aphonopelma Mooreae are Primarily from Mexico and not legally exportable. There are captive breed in the US but these grow so slow. That’s what I had read anyways. I want one, but not at the asking price when they are available.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Yea I saw <edit> one but only for local pickup for $350. I'd be curious to see one in person, see if the colors are "so much deeper" than the GBB.

Last edited by a moderator: