New to hobby question!

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I think it's fine for now, tbh. Usually you'll want more cross ventilation, so I would have drilled some holes in the sides before putting it in, but if you 're getting the new enclosure soon, I think it'll be okay to wait. What you want for Avics is to make sure that they have some sort of cross ventilation. The Kritter Keeper design is nice for the evaporation of water, but not so much for cross ventilation.

The bark going up is okay, for now, but on the new enclosure you get, you'll want to make sure it has something basically vertical. I usually lean a flat piece of bark against a cork round or the wall and glue plants onto its surface for cover.

Ic4ru577

Arachnoknight
Find something taller than wider enclosure. You can use this enclosure for pulchra or albo

Craig73

Arachnoangel
The critter container is temporary! I did forget to mention that. My apologies!!!
Sorry man, I get a little too excited with avics, they’re my jam. You want an enclosure that‘s more tall than wide. How big is your Avic?

Read the write ups on avics here. You can find decent cheap containers at the container store with some modifications, or specialty enclosures which are pricier. What you provided is way better than what I’ve seen others new owners use to house arboreals hands down. Just needs more height and cross ventilation.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
Sorry man, I get a little too excited with avics, they’re my jam. You want an enclosure that‘s more tall than wide. How big is your Avic?

Read the write ups on avics here. You can find decent cheap containers at the container store with some modifications, or specialty enclosures which are pricier. What you provided is way better than what I’ve seen others new owners use to house arboreals hands down. Just needs more height and cross ventilation.
The new one will be here mid week. If I need to I found a nice food container at target that may work well, I can just dremel and modify it to become a proper container.

8F1C328C-72F5-4DA7-AB6D-3A7C0D93E589.jpeg F9A7E4A7-4491-40EF-89F4-84D98E9F9BC9.jpeg

okay, first attempt at making my own enclosure. I know it looks shoddy, but would this be sufficient for my A Avic? I put in cross ventilation holes, it was originally an award display case thing so I had to hot glue the edges shut, still need a hinge for the door, using magnets as the “lock” mechanism although thinking I might switch that to a bolt or something just in case lil T decided to hang out on the door.

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
Okay guys and gals,

since I didn’t really research too much about avic’s before we got this one, as she was a surprise buy, we didn’t have anything to use as a proper arboreal enclosure and I’m not sure how their enclosures should be set up.

So again I call upon your big brains for advice on taking care of it, as well as tips on enclosure stuff. I tried my best, so if it’s way wrong please understand I had YouTube to go off of and that’s pretty much it lol.

I’ll leave a link to my google drive with pics, and I’ll keep adding pics to it as updates.

thanks in advance!

EDIT: THE ENCLOSURE IS TEMPORARY!!! I don’t like critter cages as much as pretty much anyone, but its better than what it was in before and we didn’t have anything else on hand. New enclosure will be here this week.

avucularia like to live in trees, therefor they like to hangout in higher ridges of their enclosure Like a jumping spider. I’ll send a photo over of mine, I tend to give them extra room and lots and lots of airflow, then just keep that substrate slightly moist and you’ll have a healthy happy t. Keep in mind she has only touched the ground 1 time since she has lived in here and has molted 2 times without any issues Which there are a lot of with avics/caribbeana. I also rescued this one from a stuck molt when I first got it as it was purchased in premolt and the enclosure was a bit smaller.

Attachments

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
View attachment 363946 View attachment 363947

okay, first attempt at making my own enclosure. I know it looks shoddy, but would this be sufficient for my A Avic? I put in cross ventilation holes, it was originally an award display case thing so I had to hot glue the edges shut, still need a hinge for the door, using magnets as the “lock” mechanism although thinking I might switch that to a bolt or something just in case lil T decided to hang out on the door.
I'd add more cross ventilation, but it looks perfect otherwise (the avic won't care what it looks like). How does that opening mechanism work? Is there a joint?

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I'd add more cross ventilation, but it looks perfect otherwise (the avic won't care what it looks like). How does that opening mechanism work? Is there a joint?
Okay i'll put some more holes up on the sides!

It needs a hinge lol, I'm going out to buy one today after work. Thanks for the feedback though! I think I might add a small door at the top too to assist with feeding.

The measurements for the enclosure are 7.5"^2 x 12"

avucularia like to live in trees, therefor they like to hangout in higher ridges of their enclosure Like a jumping spider. I’ll send a photo over of mine, I tend to give them extra room and lots and lots of airflow, then just keep that substrate slightly moist and you’ll have a healthy happy t. Keep in mind she has only touched the ground 1 time since she has lived in here and has molted 2 times without any issues Which there are a lot of with avics/caribbeana. I also rescued this one from a stuck molt when I first got it as it was purchased in premolt and the enclosure was a bit smaller.
Thank you for all this prime info! I just felt so bad for her in the enclosure they had her in and I really want to do everything I can to put her in a better living situation. She's in a temp tank right now, and seems to be doing better than I thought she would, but hopefully today i'll have her out of there and into the new one. I got a cork bark tube and some foliage to glue on and decorate with. She'll be bedded on coco fiber, and I'm going to do the 2 water dish trick (one up top, one down bottom).

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
run vertical bark from floor to a bit shy of the top and have a water dish. A bit of substrate at the bottom and some more vent holes. It isn't going to win any beauty contests but it will do the job.

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
Only thing that really sucks about petco is when you buy one they will replace it with another and not have care and husbandry correct. It’s a bummer but the only way to stop them from selling T’s that are all wild caught is to stop shopping with them. I’m fortunate with 4 pet shops run by locals in my area but understandable it’s not always the case. One day though there will be change, there are too many caring hobbyists for it to continue and eventually chile will ban exports

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Only thing that really sucks about petco is when you buy one they will replace it with another and not have care and husbandry correct. It’s a bummer but the only way to stop them from selling T’s that are all wild caught is to stop shopping with them. I’m fortunate with 4 pet shops run by locals in my area but understandable it’s not always the case. One day though there will be change, there are too many caring hobbyists for it to continue and eventually chile will ban exports
I have connections there and I am trying to use my insider access to get them to change their policies and/or hire someone who understands the hobby

we've all been DIY on at least one enclosure DYI Avic..jpg

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I saw those containers but wasn't sure if it was too small. I'll definitely be doing more DIY, just for the experience, this will have to do for now lol.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
Almost all of my enclosures are DIY. I've bought some nice Herpcult and would like to have all Herpcult eventually, but that's just a nice goal to have, imo XD

I mostly DIY with Amac and shoeboxes from The Container Store/Diaso:

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3667.JPG

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Not bad with the diy enclosure. It’s fun to mess around. Plus even if it was a terrible job, sometimes putting the sub, bark and leafs in makes it look better.

And yeah, the container store has been lacking for months now.

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
@CommanderBacon those are awesome! I have deli cups and stuff ready for the little guys. We’ll see what this one looks like when it’s finished 😂

I like diy projects, so I’ll just keep at it. I find a lot of the bigger enclosures can come at a great discount if you can figure out how to do it yourself. I have a few small and medium enclosures coming from jamiestarantulas as well. Figured I’d better have some.

CommanderBacon

Arachnobaron
I love DIY stuff. I think I have found cheap DIY I like for everything except adult arboreal. I don't like using food containers for them. I like top and front opening enclosures, so the only things I've found that give me the access I want are the Exo Terras, and I hate the way they look.

At least I don't need any of those for a while.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
I like herpcult, I have eight and zero are occupied at the moment since they are too large.

A tip on diy vent holes is make a template with dots or use tape to pre-mark your holes, you’ll get a cleaner look. For arboreals you’d ideally have holes for each level of the enclosure, top middle and near the sub. I didn’t used to do the sub level, but after seeing and hearing others do it I have started to do substraight level vents. I do all my holes on two opposing sides and keep the front and back hole-free for a nice view.