New to Haplopelma lividum

elle101

Arachnopeon
I bought my first Haplopelma lividum yesterday. She is about 2 years old. She lost one of her legs on the right side, and she also has a leg that is slightly smaller than the others. The guy at the store told me this was due to a bad molt. She was unhappy in her enclosure at the time. They moved her into another one and she seems to be content with this one.

I want to move her into a bigger enclosure, (the same size I use for all my tarantulas), but I’m afraid of stressing her out and causing another leg loss or worse. I have had tarantulas for 3 years, but none of my tarantulas have ever experienced a bad molt, so I’m not used to this.

Should I wait a while before moving her? And what should I add to the new enclosure apart from lots of substrate and a hiding place?

JamieC

Arachnopeon
I bought my first Haplopelma lividum yesterday. She is about 2 years old. She lost one of her legs on the right side, and she also has a leg that is slightly smaller than the others. The guy at the store told me this was due to a bad molt. She was unhappy in her enclosure at the time. They moved her into another one and she seems to be content with this one.

I want to move her into a bigger enclosure, (the same size I use for all my tarantulas), but I’m afraid of stressing her out and causing another leg loss or worse. I have had tarantulas for 3 years, but none of my tarantulas have ever experienced a bad molt, so I’m not used to this.

Should I wait a while before moving her? And what should I add to the new enclosure apart from lots of substrate and a hiding place?
It's likely that the smaller leg is a regenerated leg. When a tarantula loses a leg it replaces it with another one when it moults. The new leg is thinner and weaker and will not be fully regenerated until at least another moult. Despite this, most seem to get by just fine.

I have 2 adult females. I provide lots of substrate for them to burrow into. At least 6 inches. Some burrow within a few days, others take weeks. Provide a hide for it to take shelter under and it should burrow when it's ready.

Jamie :)

EndlessForms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's likely that the smaller leg is a regenerated leg. When a tarantula loses a leg it replaces it with another one when it moults. The new leg is thinner and weaker and will not be fully regenerated until at least another moult. Despite this, most seem to get by just fine.

I have 2 adult females. I provide lots of substrate for them to burrow into. At least 6 inches. Some burrow within a few days, others take weeks. Provide a hide for it to take shelter under and it should burrow when it's ready.

Jamie :)
+1 nicely said

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Just put her in an enclosure with lots of substrate and a water dish. A hide isnt even really neccesary as she will create a burrow when she feels like she needs the privacy. I would definetly move her into a cage with alot of substrate cuz not being able to burrow is more stressful than a rehousing would be.
And typically bad molts are due to humidity problems more than stress, and cobalts need high humidity that comes from living in a burrow. This is probably why she had a bad molt last time.

ragnarok

Arachnopeon
i have a question

i had my h.lividum for almost 4 months now.when i first got her she ate crickets like crazy but i didnt over feed her,but now she is refusing food i try to feed her at night cause thats when she comes out durning the day shes in her burrow.its been almost two weeks since she ate and im wondering what is going on?

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Most likely she is gonna molt, keep the humidity high and take it easy.