New to centipedes, just a few questions

boatshow

Arachnopeon
Ok, so I'm considering getting my first centipede. In the past I've kept a lot of T's and scorpions, but I think I want to try out a pede. I'm thinking about getting either a Malaysian Cherry Leg, or a Mau Chai. Both are 1.5". Which one should I get? Maybe I'll get both, who knows.

Also, I was planing on using a large glass jar, like an applesauce jar to keep it in. I would put maybe 3 inches of moist peat/vermiculite, plus a small water dish and some sort of hide, like a piece of bark or the like. Poke some holes in the lid of the jar for ventilation, and I'd be set. Does this sound like a good enclosure? How long would it take for the centipede to out grow this enclosure?

Thanks for nay help.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Setup sounds good -- I wouldn't use a glass jar, though. Too easy to break if it falls over.

boatshow

Arachnopeon
Good call, didn't even consider that. I'll make sure I use plastic.

Also, do you guys think a 1.5" pede would be able to eat live food? I've seen a few sources that say to feed dead crickets until the pedes are about 2". What do you guys think?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm sure a 1.5" pede could kill an appropriately sized cricket, but i typically prekill or mangle food for most of my cents and bugs in general just to minimize chances of a low probability nasty surprise eventually happening

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also prekill, but mainly because my primary feeders are mealworms and they burrow.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i'm sure a 1.5" pede could kill an appropriately sized cricket, but i typically prekill or mangle food for most of my cents and bugs in general just to minimize chances of a low probability nasty surprise eventually happening
yeah i feel sorry for the pedes when they try to catch the same cricket for 20 mins lol seems that would use more energy than the crix provide lol

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Plastic is also much lighter :)
I prekill for my smaller pedes because crickets can be nasty! The last thing I want is a cricket roaming around while the pede is soft just after a molt. And those mealworms and small super worms can burrow in seconds which can make it a little difficult for the pede to track it down.