new to board have a desert blonde question

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys nice forum love it looks great. MY question is how do you move a desert blonde that has already made a burrow into another tank. MOre so is it bad to do this since it has already made a burrow. Reason is needed for cleaning and it seems as soon as my t goes into her burrow there is no getting her out. any help thanked in advance

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I'd say, when it's time to eat. Put her prey item in a far corner of the tank and wait....

Or, if she comes out at night, which mine do, pop something over the burrow entrance.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I just carefully dig anyone up whose in a burrow when I want to move them to a new enclosure. Just go slowly and watch out for the T. Aggression is unlikely to be an issue with an A. chalcodes.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spike
Hi guys nice forum love it looks great. MY question is how do you move a desert blonde that has already made a burrow into another tank. MOre so is it bad to do this since it has already made a burrow. Reason is needed for cleaning and it seems as soon as my t goes into her burrow there is no getting her out. any help thanked in advance
Does it really need cleaning, or are you just following advice someone has given you? Many books recommend an annual or twice-annual cleaning, but generally speaking, I wouldn't move a spider with an established burrow unless there were a really pressing reason (a rotting mouse on the lower level of substrate, for instance). Tarantulas normally inhabit the same burrows for years, and as long as you've done normal maintenance in removing prey remains (or unless the vivarium is noticeably soiled and/or smelly), I'd just leave it alone. I'd especially recommend this if the tarantula has not molted recently, as this is about the time of year A. chalcodes usually molt IME, and a pre-molt tarantula can be easily injured.

Joy