new to avics

looking4ts

Arachnopeon
I've never had any avics before, let alone slings, any advice would be helpful. I know they need more height than floor space, that's about it.

demasoni521

Arachnopeon
While I only keep one avic, I stress that ventilation and humidity are key. You don't want to keep the air very stagnant inside, so make sure enclosures are well ventilated. However, they should not be very dry inside either, so mist the enclosure often, especially in winter where it is very dry anyways.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is there much difference between avic avic a. metalica, as far as habitat?
Not at all. A. metallica just get a bit larger.

Other than that, they need moderate humidity... Make sure to find a good balance of moisture and ventilation, or you'll wind up with mold.

Midknight xrs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 4 Avic's. All of there enclosures have 10-20 holes or slits at the top, at the most with 2 or more isopods on the bottom. I have two i2 A. Metallica, a sub-a A. Versi. and a juvie A. Avic all with the same type of enclosure and the same amount of holes. the holes are the most 1/4" and the slits are made by a typical tweezer. seems to work well. i do however have the very bottom of the substrate wet and the top is dry, so there is enough humidity to cause condensation on the inside of the enclosure.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should try searching a bit. There have been quite a few threads with detailed setup info and all sorts of other advice on Avics. It's a fairly common topic.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BIG waterdish and restricted ventilation to keep humidity up. My peat is DRY in ALL our Avicularia...Keeps molds and other nasties at bay pretty well. I mist once,MAYBE twice a week into their webs,other than that all misting them does is spike the humidity for a very short period of time.IMHO once they get large they handle lower humidity better than most think.Avicularia are wayyyy more hardy than most people tend to think.