New to arboreal, Best arboreal tarantula to begin with?

Bryan64

Arachnopeon
How much is an Avicularia Versicolor both sling and mature (Female) and is a sling excessively more difficult to raise than a mature avic?

also is a tank that's 8x8 and 11" tall big enough for a mature avic?

rob0t

Arachnoknight
Price varies greatly depending on where you get it from. Check the classifieds here and the online seller review section to get some ideas.

Slings are easy to raise, but they are a bit more delicate than adults.

Yes, that would be plenty room for an adult Avic.

Bryan64

Arachnopeon
and if I may ask a stupid question....can you get a sexed sling? or is that not possible and yo just have to hope your lucky.......alo, could I keep the sling in that container or do I need to make a small one?

also, the entire side o my tank is the door....will I have a problem with messing up an avics web?

Naga

Arachnopeon
Slings come unsexed. Smaller than, say, 2", it's VERY hard to find out the gender. As far as homes, you start out with a small housing and rehouse once in awhile as they grow, just like almost any other creature. Just be careful. Avicularia species like to jump, and can run a bit too

Bryan64

Arachnopeon
there really beautiful. I have a rosie, but I want an arboreal as well, so im thinking very strongly about getting one. What would you suggest as housing for a sling? and at what size would I need to move the sling to the real home? (The one thats 8"x8" at the base and 11" tall)

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
Enjoy your new A. avicularia! They are stunning sweethearts! I have two and I love them soooo much. Enjoy!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
there really beautiful. I have a rosie, but I want an arboreal as well, so im thinking very strongly about getting one. What would you suggest as housing for a sling? and at what size would I need to move the sling to the real home? (The one thats 8"x8" at the base and 11" tall)
Go simple and cheap at first, something easily manageable and monitored: a deli cup, either 16 or 32 oz size. A ring or two of small airholes near the top (I use the tip of soldering iron), an inch of slightly moist substrate, a piece of cork, a piece of plastic (not silk) plant, and a small water bowl (lid from a water bottle). The key to arboreals, and especially Avics, is the balance between humidity and ventilation; avoid extremes. They don't live in deserts, or swamps.

I'd recommend not getting the smallest Avic sling you find, as they get hardier with age.

Bryan64

Arachnopeon
ill be ordering it though a local pet store. so what would be the size to ask for? is 1 inch still a sling?

sbullet

Arachnoknight
this question has been asked more than 10 times in the last 3 months, easily.

satch

Arachnoknight
Hey versicolor's are good but kinda finicky to take care of when slings! Humidity and ventilation are sometimes hard! In my
Opinion but they are definatly awesome and worth a try!

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
Hey versicolor's are good but kinda finicky to take care of when slings! Humidity and ventilation are sometimes hard! In my
Opinion but they are definatly awesome and worth a try!
That's the thing, Avics don't race around like lunatics, don't have strong bites, and most aren't defensive, and in that regard are good for beginners. But they're more sedentary and don't roam their cage as much as the (fast) long-logged arboreals, and therefore don't always find their prey or waterbowls. Misting is more important with Avic slings, and that's where beginners sometimes overdo or underdo it. While some people get the hang of that early on, it takes other people a while to get a feel for finding the middle ground.

Lumina

Arachnosquire
I love Avics. I have two Avicularia purpurea slings and one Avicularia avicularia sub-adult female. I can't wait for the purpureas to get their purple colors. It's truly stunning. The prettiest Ts in my opinion -along with Pamphobeteus platyomma "Bazilian Pinkbloom". But those are gauged more towards intermediate-experienced owners. Plus, I've been informed that they are best purchased in pairs as the male will constantly be trying to seek out a female. And the males are much more colorful than the females, unfortunately.
I know this post is old, but I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents lol.
I definitely agree that Avics are a great starter arboreal. :D