New Terrestrial Sling Enclosure Help!

alexlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
Hey all!
I have a a few 1" terrestrial slings that were delivered early today!
I've never owned a T this small before, and was looking for some advice!
I attached pictures of the enclosures I've put them in this morning (32oz deli cups, 2/3rds filled with moist substrate of coco fiber, 3 rows of holes poked up the side, the top covered in pinholes)
The larger sling is a c. cyaneopubescens, the smaller a g. pulchripes. I have some fake plants also soaking in warm water (changing daily) which should be ready to go in by tomorrow! (I botched the delivery date so everything was ready but those)
I also found some decor while I was getting more substrate for the new additions. They are plastic, painted, and from the fish decor section. I know it's best to soak plastic decor or plants for at least a week before adding to an enclosure (as I did with the fake plants due to toxic chemicals) but I just wanted to confirm with y'all that this was a decent hide for a <1.5" terrestrial sling. I attached pictures of those also with a tape measure for reference.
Thanks in advance, guys and gals!

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hides are too large- can use them but they prefer tighter spaces. They might use them.

You need water dishes

alexlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
Hides are too large- can use them but they prefer tighter spaces. They might use them.

You need water dishes
I am actually using the pill containers caps as water dishes! I wanted to clean them first so they weren't in the pics.
The pulchripe went right into and under its cork for a hide, the cyaneopubescens has just been exploring the enclosure!
Everything else is good tho? Substrate, ventilation, size?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am actually using the pill containers caps as water dishes! I wanted to clean them first so they weren't in the pics.
The pulchripe went right into and under its cork for a hide, the cyaneopubescens has just been exploring the enclosure!
Everything else is good tho? Substrate, ventilation, size?
I’d give the GBB more floor space, they are terrestrial

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well I've been told multiple times not to give them too large an enclosure and that 32oz delis can house up to ~2.5" terrestrial slings and it's half that size so idk about all that.
They live in the jungles and other large environments called planet Earth. Do you know why smaller containers are recommended generally? This is important informatioin to know for all Ts, and many other captive animals.

Do what you want. I've never raised my GBBs in a 32 oz deli at that size.

alexlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
I hadn't received my 16ozs yet (again I botched the delivery day lol) so I just filled these up with extra substrate.
terredtrials = 16oz deli cups....save the 32s for arboreal slings.
They live in the jungles and other large environments called planet Earth. Do you know why smaller containers are recommended generally? This is important informatioin to know for all Ts, and many other captive animals.

Do what you want. I've never raised my GBBs in a 32 oz deli at that size.
I had no idea they were from Earth thank you so much for all your wonderful help

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hadn't received my 16ozs yet (again I botched the delivery day lol) so I just filled these up with extra substrate.

I had no idea they were from Earth thank you so much for all your wonderful help
I used environments on Earth to make a point, perhaps my example was missed by you?

You didn't answer my question regarding cage size- Do you know the reasons to what I asked re cage size, you didn't reply. I can't assume you know or don't know the answer based on your recent reply above.

@mantiscatamp HAHAHAHAHAHAHA what a joke.

Last edited:

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I only give the bigger ones hides and water dishes. The smaller ones get small amount of water dropped in the sub or light mist

My sling pulchripes (about 1") enclosure (4 x 4"). No hide, just a leaf

For a GBB I'd skip the hide and instead, put some fake leaves and small cork pieces in there. I dont have one, but this is how I"d see myself setting up a sling enclosure

Attachments

alexlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
I used environments on Earth to make a point, perhaps my example was missed by you?

You didn't answer my question regarding cage size- Do you know the reasons to what I asked re cage size, you didn't reply. I can't assume you know or don't know the answer based on your recent reply above.
Perhaps it wasn't. Know what else natural environment have? Harsh winds and torrential downpours. I'm not planning on simulating that tho am I?
And yes. Smaller enclosures pose less of a threat to smaller Ts when it comes to lethal falls. Especially with the GBB (c. cyaneopubescens, before I get a 'tude for that as well) having arboreal-like tendencies, I (informatively) did not want to go with a larger enclosure, especially since it has already webbed it all up and been climbing around like mad, and also Cold Blood has confirmed with me about 7 times that 16oz deli cups are great terrestrial enclosures for 1-3" slings.

I only give the bigger ones hides and water dishes. The smaller ones get small amount of water dropped in the sub or light mist

My sling pulchripes (about 1") enclosure (4 x 4"). No hide, just a leaf

For a GBB I'd skip the hide and instead, put some fake leaves and small cork pieces in there. I dont have one, but this is how I"d see myself setting up a sling enclosure
My GBB just has a small cork piece I cut off a larger one and it has already webbed everything up LIKE CRAZY! My g. pulchripes roamed around a minute then went under its cork and hasn't come out lol I suppose that'll suffice the lil fella for now

Attachments

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The enclosure for the Grammostola is fine, but the one for the Chromatopelma is a bit small. As suggested, a 16oz deli cup, or equivalent, is more ideal. That species is much faster growing and tend to be out and about more. Rehousing them into something a bit larger now will cut down on having to rehouse them more later.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps it wasn't. Know what else natural environment have? Harsh winds and torrential downpours. I'm not planning on simulating that tho am I?
And yes. Smaller enclosures pose less of a threat to smaller Ts when it comes to lethal falls. Especially with the GBB (c. cyaneopubescens, before I get a 'tude for that as well) having arboreal-like tendencies, I (informatively) did not want to go with a larger enclosure, especially since it has already webbed it all up and been climbing around like mad, and also Cold Blood has confirmed with me about 7 times that 16oz deli cups are great terrestrial enclosures for 1-3" slings.
You definitely did miss my point a bit based on the above.

The main reasons people avoid large containers with exotic animals (certain ones at least)

1. It's easier to check up on your cherished pet even when it's hiding
2. Most people do not put in enough cage furniture in large setups, this results in an animal being scared quite often, ie stressed. Remember being in the wide open means you are visible food for SOMETHING out in native environments
3. And this one is critical-- larger setups DECREASE prey/predator interactions (easier for crickets to hide), esp for Ts. Ts are not hunters like say a lion is. They are lay/wait or ambush predators.

Smaller containers don't reduce fall risk. It's the distance between sub surface and lid!

SO, it isn't that one cannot use a larger container but their are reasons why we advise against it. My point earlier was if they can survive in the jungles they can survive in a bit larger cage than what you showed.

Your reply wasn't at all clear if you knew the above. And honestly, I've typed the above so many times that I didn't want to type it out again w/out first asking you. Plus, I'm working, it's my lunch break!! To help YOU..

Now for containers for GBB

Sure 16 oz is fine, I use those when they are small. But once they hit 2" they go into something larger. Whether it's tupperware, sterilite or AMAC boxes, it doesn't matter.

I told you earlier "anything" because I feel if I just tell SOMEONE, AMAC boxes that locks a person into something that is more pricey, esp for a beginner owner- I feel beginners should have flexibility to use what works for them and what is available.

I also LOVE Really Useful Boxes (google, don't ask me what they are)

I always give more GBBs more space in length than say my pet rocks like my Brachys, being terrestrial GBB will generally use it up, exceptions always. And no, they aren't semiarboreal by nature in case you have read that.

Good luck!

Last edited:

octanejunkie

Arachnoknight
My GBB webbed a lot as a sling and was almost never on the ground, they are considered by some as semi-arboreal. As an adult mine hardly ever climbs.

Here is a pic of our MM "climbing" lol
IMG_20200510_121820.jpg

Last edited:

alexlovesspiders

Arachnopeon
I also LOVE Really Useful Boxes (google, don't ask me what they are)

And no, they aren't semiarboreal by nature in case you have read that.

Good luck!
I know what they are already.

And no, not that they're semiarboreal, but that they have more arboreal tendencies than other terrestrials, such as being more inclined to climbing which countless experienced owners have confirmed, as has watching him for the past 4 hours alone.

Also it's not a 2" sling yet.

The enclosure for the Grammostola is fine, but the one for the Chromatopelma is a bit small. As suggested, a 16oz deli cup, or equivalent, is more ideal. That species is much faster growing and tend to be out and about more. Rehousing them into something a bit larger now will cut down on having to rehouse them more later.
It's a 32oz deli container! Same dimensions as the 16oz, just a matter of height difference.

My GBB webbed a lot as a sling and was almost never on the ground, they are considered semi-arboreal. As an adult it hardly ever climbs.
It certainly isn't on the ground much at all! I've read they do have arboreal tendencies when they're young, and this lil fella confirmed that for me in no time! It's used the cork for anchor points and webbed all above the ground and hasn't really touched the substrate since lol