New Tarantulas!

minax

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just recieved some new stuff from Swifty, 1 P. ornata 1", 1 chaco 1/4", 1 B. vagans 1/4", 1 A. versicolor 1/2", and 2 scorpio maurus Israeli gold scorpions, 2"+. The scorps were very fiesty and all the spiders are in incredible health as usual from "Swifty"! I'm getting waaaay to addicted to this invert keeping hobby! My review of Swifty's services is on the dealer review forum, check it out.:D

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
me too :)

I recently got a 1/4 in. chaco from him...an eating machine, but now I am out of those microcrickets he sends along...*sigh* and am frantically trying to find something little enough for it to eat. Annd I got an a. versicolor from him too...it has its little container all webbed up, and is very adept at catching the fruitflies...what a PAIN those are to get into the container though...either that, or I am just TOO um...blonde to figure it out.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congradulations minax!

rapunzel, our C. fimbriatus is Tiny and our N.coloratovillosum isn't much bigger. I get them micro crickets from time to time but have found they I can take one of our smallets crickets, smoosh the head and drop it in and they gobble it right up. If it's bigger I freeze it for a few minuts then cut it into a few smaller pieces and put it in.

Both of our tiny babies gobble them up.

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got an order from Cronoss and Im just as pschyed, I was wondering what to do about the small crix, Ill try that freezing thing, once in awhile my local store doesnt have any.
Congrats to your newbies minax.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The freezing part isn't necessary if you've got enough little mouths to eat the whole cricket up at once. When small crickets are unavailable I'll dice a medium to large cricket into 6-8 pieces. Slings will readily take dead & diced prey in my experience.

If you do store excess cricket in the freezer note that they don't keep so well, more than a few weeks & you'll just have freezer burnt cricket moosh (mmmm, yummy).

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
its that whole..

smushing/chopping thing I don't think I can handle..*shudder*..
anyway to do it without looking? :(

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats why I do the freezing thing rapunzel, it's Not nessicary to chop up a fat cricket. But it takes the ooozy shishy quality away.
Makes it easier to chop and alot less gross.

--

Code Monkey, I don't store it. I just freeze a few to chop.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ewwwwww.

Isn't there some kind of arachnid miracle grow just to make them grow faster to get to the small cricket-eating size??
I am gonna make my boyfriend do it.
How about a suicidal cricket who tried and tried to get me bit by the parahybana before drowning in its waterdish? can I recycle them that way?

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Drown crickets are ten times more gross then chopped crickets.
You Dont Have to chop them.
Pick out the smallest ones and just pop their heads.
Just takes a sec.
I know it sounds gross and awful to chop or pop crickets or worms.
But after a few times it looses its Yuck effect on you.

It's like changing diapers.
No one enjoys doing it.
But you do what you gotta do for your little ones.
:)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: its that whole..

Originally posted by rapunzel
smushing/chopping thing I don't think I can handle..*shudder*..
anyway to do it without looking? :(
Kim,
You crack me up. LOL
Your a funny girl.=D :D

Minax,
Thats quite a haul. You got some really nice T's in that load.
Good luck with them.

Ernie

ant1gen

Arachnopeon
I've crushed up crickets in the past too. I have also found that those fruit fly colonies you can purchase in most aquarium stores work wonders too. They are a perfect size for those 1/4 to 1/2 slings...

Of course, if you've only got one or two slings that size, you may find yourself overrun with the flies. Luckily they don't tend to get free with any regularity.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
crickets drive me insane. I gave up on them about 4-5 months ago altogether.
I use mini mealworms for my tiny slings. I crush their head, so they still wiggle a bit, but are harmless (ugh, I know).
I also use Lobster roach nymphs the same way, by disabling them.
I rehoused and fed about 65 slings last night, took me 4 hours, and they were all in great shape. I've raised them all from very tiny babies without using crickets.

ant1gen

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by Immortal_sin

I rehoused and fed about 65 slings last night, took me 4 hours, and they were all in great shape. I've raised them all from very tiny babies without using crickets.
If you want to cut that time in half, I'd be happy to take some of them off your hands.... ;-)