New tarantulas

Gavin Sons

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, new member here. About a month ago I was at a reptile expo because my 2 boys wanted a couple crested geckos. We got the geckos and made it home with them. While roaming around online looking at gecko stuff somehow I came across tarantulas. I always thought all of you were crazy for keeping these things. I became amazed by these creepy 8 legged spiders. Over the next week I read about them nonstop. All week I was trying to convince my wife I needed one. She finally agreed. The next weekend we went to another expo and found a 3 inch B emelia. Confirmed female. She came home that day with us. She just had molted and took her 3 weeks to eat her first cricket. I originally wanted a B hamorii but the emelia was just as beautiful. Last weekend I contacted the guy I got the emelia from asking about hamorii and his buddy that actually raised the emelia had several 1.5" Hamorii. I went and picked one up from him this past Sunday. Now I have 2 Brachypelma and now want a greenbottle blue. Does this addiction ever stop? Glad to be a part of it.

PS. I no longer think you guys are crazy, or maybe I'm just crazy with you.

Just a few pictures

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinned

Arachnosquire
Glad to have you with us ; ) ... but be careful around here. Most members are a bunch of enablers that just make thing worse.

That is beautiful girl you got there. The GBB is a must have if you like silk in the enclosure -- with a bit of NW spunk, colors and speed.

Oh dear... seems I'm one of them now... :p

Last edited:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Congrats on the new Ts and welcome to the hobby/addiction! You picked two great beginner species, and the GBB is another decent species for beginners, though much more skittish than your current two.

You're lucky enough to have found one of the greatest sources for tarantula care you can find (here), and also get to communicate with like-minded individuals who appreciate these creatures too. Always feel free to ask if you ever have any questions.

That said, I can't help but notice the egg crate being used in the B. emilia enclosure. Even with species that prefer drier conditions, it's best to avoid things such as egg crates and cardboard, as they mold very easily and would have to be replaced unnecessarily often. If you have access to cork bark or even a clean flower pot that you can break, that would be a much greater option. :)

Gavin Sons

Arachnopeon
Congrats on the new Ts and welcome to the hobby/addiction! You picked two great beginner species, and the GBB is another decent species for beginners, though much more skittish than your current two.

You're lucky enough to have found one of the greatest sources for tarantula care you can find (here), and also get to communicate with like-minded individuals who appreciate these creatures too. Always feel free to ask if you ever have any questions.

That said, I can't help but notice the egg crate being used in the B. emilia enclosure. Even with species that prefer drier conditions, it's best to avoid things such as egg crates and cardboard, as they mold very easily and would have to be replaced unnecessarily often. If you have access to cork bark or even a clean flower pot that you can break, that would be a much greater option. :)
That was in the enclosure she came in. Some kind of Tupperware container. She was moved that same day into a custom acrylic enclosure I made for her. Right now it is an 8x8x8 with about 5 inches of substrate/coco fiber and a fake log buried at an angle for a hide. All of our pets have nice homes mainly because I like to tinker and make things. Once she hits 4-5 inches I'll make a new one.

This is what she is in now

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Congrats on your Ts, your B. emilia is beautiful! ♥ I have a sling that refuses to grow or even moult. :rolleyes: I can only hope she'll someday look anything like yours. ;)

Could you post a picture of her whole enclosure? It seems rather big with a lot of height. Just to make sure... :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Congrats on your tarantulas!! and no the addiction never really stops, its always there in the back of your head thinking about what to get next

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
That's one lovely emilia you've got there! Lucky you aren't closer to me, I'd wanna snatch her up. :smirk: And no, the addiction really never stops. When I got my first spider I was warned that this would become an insatiable desire for more and I thought, "That's just silly. I like my one spider, why would I ever want another when I like this one so much?" Four Ts later and I'm shopping for my next few. Welcome to the hobby!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Lovely species to start out with - both of them are.
Welcome to the community.

RowanFG

Arachnopeon
Beautiful emilia. I was aiming for boehmei as my first brachypelma but I think my mind has been changed.