New Tarantulas

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hi all, soon i will be ordering 3 additions to my very small collection from Chris Maidens of Chris' Creepy Crawlies. Right now i have an adult female B.smithi and a juvinile A.Geniculata. I will be buying:

1 Emperor Scorpion 2"
1 A. Seemani 3-4"
1 L.Parahybana (i think thats how you spell it, its the salmon pink bird eater) 1"

and possibaly, if i am feeling especially rich, a G.Pulchra 1"

Aything i should know about any of these species that may not be obvious or tips will be appreciated!

Mark

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I wish I had the self control of all you people who can only order a couple at a time.

I placed an order today from Pat Kane:
  • 2x A. geniculata
  • 1x B. emilia
  • 1x B. smithi
  • 1x C. fasciatum
  • 1x G. alticeps
  • 2x G. pulchra
  • 2x P. murinus (Usambara)
  • 1x Sc. subspinipes (Vietnamese Giant Centipede)

and if he gets the slings in tomorrow,
  • 1x B. boehmi

And I would have ordered at least two more if he had H. maculata and G. aureostriata in stock. I just can't see spending $25 on shipping unless I order at least five Ts, and the five usually turns into eight and up :)

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have the opposite problem as you! Space and money restrictions stop me from ordering 20 tarantulas at a time! So ive got to pick my favourited. Im sure you've had experience with them, but if you haven't you'll love the a.geniculata. I have one (4 inches) and she is an eating machine right up until molt and looks beautiful!

Mark

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep, already have one, so I'm ordering two more in the hopes that I'll get at least one female out of the bunch, same situation for the G. pulchra.
The B. smithi, similar rationale, but they cost too much to order two more - odds are against me here, my one is a juvenile male so I'm only flipping 50/50 on this one, I so want another girl smithi :)
The B. emilia is to replace my sling that died a few months ago. I love my one tiger rump sling, so another is coming.

The others are new to me. I'm almost afraid to see what he's sending me for the subspinipes - they were listed at 6.5-8.5". When I read the description Pat said, "Oh, they're MUCH bigger than that" ;) Think I'm going to be looking for a locking screen lid for my spare 5 gallon Thursday afternoon as well as finally owning up to my wife that I've got pedes :D

Space is going to be an issue, but I'm creative that way. I've got a fishtank stand which has a lone Cory cat living in it, he may be getting the boot for more shelf space. As for money, this is what I'm getting for my birthday (never mind that I've already used anticipated birthday money to justify purchases over four months ago ;))

As for what you're getting, Emperor scorps are good but didn't do anything for me (definitely not a scorp man I have decided). A. seemani is a very nice spider although a twitchier Aphonopelma, I tend to prefer the southwestern varieties - more colourful and generally calmer attitudes. Salmon Pinks fall under my "large brown spider without anything distinctive" which takes them off my list of wants ;)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
CM,
What is Pat Kanes site called?
I'd like to check it out.

E.T

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Pat runs the invertebrate department at regal reptiles. Their online list is outdated, so your best bet is to call for price quotes.

-V

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes, unfortunately, that is my prime beef with Pat - never, and I mean never, an up to date list, and never, and I mean never, quick replies to email. This isn't necessarily a horrible thing as it reflects the amount of Ts he's got coming in weekly, and the amount of Ts he's moving out weekly, but, damn, if he could just figure out a way to automate the stocklists with his in-store inventory tracking, he could increase his business so much.

You need to get a list of what you want and call him. His stock is great and his prices are generally as low or lower than anyone else's, but you've got to work for it. Fortunately I was able to ask him most of what I was looking for in chat the other night so the phone call was relatively quick and pleasant.