NEW Tarantula

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am being given a new tarantula today. FUll grown, have no idea what sex or kind.
It belongs to a friend of my sons, and his dad doesnt want it anymore.So, they asked my kid if we could take it. I thought about it, and decided that it really doesnt hurt to have "Just one more".. . so I told him to bring it home after school.
They don't know what kind it is, I am guessing it will be a rosehair though, because that is pretty much all you see in the petstores around here, unless you are looking for something in particular..that and I cannot see someone purchasing any more expensive T and NOT asking what kind it is.
I am going to read the rosehair care "sticky" posted up top, but I do have a quick question.
If it is NOT a rosehair, but is a ummmmmm, stripeknee? (Don't they look similar?) would I keep it under the same conditions as a rosehair? How about same condition as the g. pulchra?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If it is a Aphonopelma seemani\ Costa Rican Zebra aka stripeknee you could keep it like a Grammostola rosea\ Chilean Rose hair. The only thing I would do diffrent is that I would give it a hinding place.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A. seemanni tends to need more moisture, as well, though that issue will be partially addressed by the hiding spot. I don't keep mine in swamps but I water their tanks a bit every week.

Adrian

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, it is here..

Full sized rosehair T. I assume female..I don't see any hooks. The only info I got:

The kid said he has had it for about six months. It never molted while he had it.I asked where he got it "petstore" Which one? "I dunno" (the kid is only 9).
It is COLD out, and he walked it over here, for about two blocks, so it wasn't so bad, but it was in a bone-dry tank with a dusty waterdish, so, first things I did was:
I added about three inches of substrate and gave it a full dish of water and a cricket. It instantly drank a ton of water, and I just checked on it and it ate the cricket.
Looks healthy...nice round rump. Wish me luck :)