New tarantula!

SIOBHANBAKER

Arachnopeon
Just got my first ever tarantula after doing a lot of research.
I am a little worried about him as he’s not moving from the corner of the tank with his legs kinda scrunched up above his body (I have read up that this is because of the stress of moving). He is not eating and appears scared of the insect (the pet store told me he has not eaten for a month and molted about a week ago). He was in a tub when we bought him that was very warm so I have a 15watt heat mat for him as I live in the uk and my flat is often cold. I am also worrying that he is dehydrated any tips on that? He has a shallow water dish but as he has not moved I don’t think he realises it is there. Nor has he been in his hide as im not sure he knows where it is.

He is right up against the heat mat (I believe he may be cold)

Last edited by a moderator:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Remove the heat mat... they dehydrate and kill spiders.

Can you post a photo of the enclosure? What species is the spider?

They need time to adjust to new surroundings. Don't leave live feeders in with it.

SIOBHANBAKER

Arachnopeon

Can you post a photo of the enclosure? What species is the spider?

They need time to adjust to new surroundings. Don't leave live feeders in with it.

He has been on top of a heat mat his whole life and when we bought him home he really seemed to not like it and as soon as I got a heat mat he sucked onto it ?

He’s a curly hair. I took it out soon after he seemed to dart away from it

I live in the Uk and it’s very very cold

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Actually a lot of UK (and Germany) keepers used/use those kind of heating devices and they never had issues, here @basin79 comes to mind, but I think there's others.

Obviously, assuming that someone is using those in the right way :pompous:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is it below 15°C in your flat?

Heat mats KILL spiders when applied directly to the tank. Pet stores are notorious for giving awful information regarding tarantula care.

SIOBHANBAKER

Arachnopeon

Heat mats KILL spiders when applied directly to the tank. Pet stores are notorious for giving awful information regarding tarantula care.
Yes a lot of the time it is below 15C. I was told by a lady who has kept numerous is curly hairs how to apply the heat mat too

basin79

ArachnoGod

Cough, cough rubbish, cough cough. If that was true all my tarantulas would be DEAD.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yes a lot of the time it is below 15C. I was told by a lady who has kept numerous is curly hairs how to apply the heat mat too
You'll want to learn the scientific name - Brachypelma albopilosum. It will help you research the proper care of your spider.

You asked questions and I am giving you answers, but it seems you don't want help afterall since you keep defending how you're keeping the spider.

Cough, cough rubbish, cough cough. If that was true all my tarantulas would be DEAD.
Then chime in with your experience.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just got my first ever tarantula after doing a lot of research.
I am a little worried about him as he’s not moving from the corner of the tank with his legs kinda scrunched up above his body (I have read up that this is because of the stress of moving). He is not eating and appears scared of the insect (the pet store told me he has not eaten for a month and molted about a week ago). He was in a tub when we bought him that was very warm so I have a 15watt heat mat for him as I live in the uk and my flat is often cold. I am also worrying that he is dehydrated any tips on that? He has a shallow water dish but as he has not moved I don’t think he realises it is there. Nor has he been in his hide as im not sure he knows where it is.
Make sure the heat mat is plugged into a thermostat and placed on the back or side of the enclosure. If you do that and set the thermostat to the correct temperature they're perfectly safe.

It's how I heat all of my tarantulas. The thermostat turns the mat off when it reaches the temperature you've set. On warm summer days they don't come on at all. And that's the reason they must be attached to a thermostat.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I should have been more specific in my post... *improperly used* heat sources kill spiders. Just like *improperly used* misting practices can be harmful.

You should still post photos of the spider and enclosure.

SIOBHANBAKER

Arachnopeon
You'll want to learn the scientific name - Brachypelma albopilosum. It will help you research the proper care of your spider.

You asked questions and I am giving you answers, but it seems you don't want help afterall since you keep defending how you're keeping the spider.
Because it seems you don’t understand how cold it is in the UK and how a lot of people who keep tarantulas have heat mats, t
Make sure the heat mat is plugged into a thermostat and placed on the back or side of the enclosure. If you do that and set the thermostat to the correct temperature they're perfectly safe.

It's how I heat all of my tarantulas. The thermostat turns the mat off when it reaches the temperature you've set. On warm summer days they don't come on at all. And that's the reason they must be attached to a thermostat.
Thanks for that I’ll make sure I do this tomorrow :)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Because it seems you don’t understand how cold it is in the UK and how a lot of people who keep tarantulas have heat mats,
It is -1°C where I live right now... How cold is it where you are? :rolleyes:

I have 100+ tarantulas... no way am I using a heat pad on each. That is what space heaters are for.

You completely ignored everything else I said to argue about the heat mat, so... other people can attempt to advise you. I'm not wasting my time anymore.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Because it seems you don’t understand how cold it is in the UK and how a lot of people who keep tarantulas have heat mats, t

I’m from the UK. Central heated homes are more than enough for tarantulas. Heat mats are a bad idea.

basin79

ArachnoGod

I use insulation boards behind my mats. They're foil backed. That just directs the heat into the enclosures so it's more efficient. I tape the thermostat probe to the mat. Set the temperature in the dial then leave them to it.

Mat stats will be able to handle a couple of smaller mats or a big one that could heat multiple enclosures. My room just isn't big enough to warrent a space heater. If I did have a bigger room I'd use 1 though. Less hassle.

You don’t use heating at home at all? That’s mental.
Why? I don't put my heating on. No need. Although I still get charged almost £10 P/M standing charge!!!!!!

That really winds me up.

Minty

@londontarantulas
Here he is and his tank
Is he confirmed as a Male?

I’d add more substrate.

Why? I don't put my heating on. No need. Although I still get charged almost £10 P/M standing charge!!!!!!

That really winds me up.
Because it gets cold and I don’t like to be cold at home. Lol

basin79

ArachnoGod
Because it gets cold and I don’t like to be cold at home. Lol
I run hot. Unless I'm ill. Handy in winter as it's great in a shorts and vest/t-shirt. But summer, or anything over 10c is bloody awful.

Here he is and his tank
It looks like the heat mat, well 1 of them is underneath the enclosure. That's a big no no. Is he a mature male (MM)?

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Staying away from this Heat Mat vs. Americans debate...

If he hasn't been moving much or showing interest in anything, just give him some time. Some Ts take just a few days to get settled in, some take several weeks. My chalcodes took 3 weeks to finally start acting "normal." And even after that Ts don't move much anyway!