New Tarantula

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
I just lost my last tarantula yesterday and now I'm thinking about getting a new one. I've been looking into the Antilles pinktoe tarantula and the Greenbottle blue tarantula. Do either of these make good pets? I've had a total of two tarantulas, a rose hair and an Arizona blonde, I don't hold them so that won't be a problem and I'm working on getting a better cage (Any suggestions?). Since I don't hold them, I would like a more 'decorative' looking one. Would you recommend these species or are there any others I should look into? Also how do I find a good breeder for them?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Go for the 'GBB', you can't be wrong. For the enclosure a medium/large KK is fine for a juve/adult. Incredible easy to care spider, amazing colours, always busy making something.

I can't help you about where buy, but search the vendors here.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Since you're not going to be handling them (good choice) go with with something you like the look of and would be comfortable with rehousing etc.

P. sazimai is quite a looker, IMO. I also find B. boehmei to be visually stunning. It's really a matter of taste, so go with what you'll be happiest seeing every day.

What is your current cage? We need to know what you have for our suggestions to be an improvement.

A few good breeders:

http://www.net-bug.net/apps/webstore/products/category/629520
http://arachnoiden.com/shop-tarantulas/
http://jrsinverts.com/category/new-world-slings/
http://www.swiftinverts.com/
https://fearnottarantulas.com/product-category/spiderlings/

There are other good ones too, I'm sure.

Last edited:

Leila

Arachnobaron
There are several other breeders on this forum in addition to the great list nicodimus supplied. @cold blood @EulersK @Exoskeleton Invertebrates are a few of the guys I am acquainted with. All 3 are very intelligent and Helpful as heck. I know there are more people here who breed and sell; these are just 3 of the members I have dealt with personally.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yeah, some great suggestions already. What's your price range for the spider alone? That would help narrow down your choices.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Both of your choices for a new T are fine. You are comparing an arboreal with a mostly terrestrial T so your preferences for one type versus the other type plays a role there. Are you going to mail order or buy local? Fear Not Tarantula's is somewhere up in your area. Net-Bug may be a little further away but is also in that area. If you are going to mail order check the classifieds on this board.

As far as enclosures go give us approximate size of your T once you choose to get best recommendations. If you are wanting an official container for T's check out what Jamie's Tarantulas has to offer. I've bought some of hers. The price isn't low, but the quality is very good and consistent. She has full size enclosures that can be turned for arboreal or terrestrial.

EDIT* As previously mentioned, all three of these people are completely trustworthy and have lots of experience to sell you a high quality T.
@cold blood @EulersK @Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Last edited:

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
well, if you want the Antilles Pink Toe (the scientific name is Caribena versicolor) there's a package deal for tiny spiderlings on Jamie's Tarantulas that you can find here (she still has it labelled as the Avicularia versicolor).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Venom1080 and I are still wondering why the first one was lost, and specifically what the OP will do so that it doesn't happen again haha. I think that's more important than getting a replacement T.

I wouldn't recommend an Avic.

If you THINK you can handle a nervous, faster species, than GBBs are very hardy.

If an owner kills one of those, they need to own a rock for their next pet.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
@Venom1080 and I are still wondering why the first one was lost, and specifically what the OP will do so that it doesn't happen again haha. I think that's more important than getting a replacement T.

I wouldn't recommend an Avic.

If you THINK you can handle a nervous, faster species, than GBBs are very hardy.

It is in the other thread

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
@Venom1080
There was an owner that lost one of these to some molting complications just this week. Any T wether it's considered a hardy species or not can surprise you with an unusual death. Doesn't mean he shouldn't try again...

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
There was an owner that lost one of these to some molting complications just this week. Any T wether it's considered a hardy species or not can surprise you with an unusual death. Doesn't mean he shouldn't try again...
yes, but it does mean he should know what happened the first time. having two very hardy species suddenly die sets off warning bells in my mind.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I agree. And it was made clear in the other thread that a mistake was made on height from substrate to lid - easy to fix.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
yes, but it does mean he should know what happened the first time. having two very hardy species suddenly die sets off warning bells in my mind.
Definitely, but let's keep things optimistic. I'm sure he didn't kill his T on purpose, and as long as he learned from his mistake he should try again. If it's just a substrate issue, I'm sure he can correct himself.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Definitely, but let's keep things optimistic. I'm sure he didn't kill his T on purpose, and as long as he learned from his mistake he should try again. If it's just a substrate issue, I'm sure he can correct himself.
who determined that was the issue? no one knows for sure why, he might be using heat lamps and unregulated mats for all we know.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I agree. And it was made clear in the other thread that a mistake was made on height from substrate to lid - easy to fix.
@Jeff23 pointed that out...idk what the issue was tbh
who determined that was the issue? no one knows for sure why, he might be using heat lamps and unregulated mats for all we know.
In that case I would concur with your original statement... @Eacpup How did you lose your last 2 Ts? And what species were they?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
see his first post. "lost my last tarantula" "ive had a total of two..."
Okay. I saw that but never thought much about it since I never remembered a thread with discussion about it. I guess I was assuming it died of old age.

The simple fact that OP doesn't want to handle T's gives me positive feeling that whatever problems exist can be fixed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What you wrote does not fit at all with what I wrote. :rolleyes:o_O