New Tarantula

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Weren't you referring to c.cyanopubescens? Saying if an owner managed to kill one they're next pet shoud be a rock. Someone on the boards had a thread about one dying from a bad molt. He even managed to remove the molt but his T died anyway.

I was just explaining how unexpected things could happen to species that are considered hardy as well, it's not always the keeper to blame. This should help you connect the dots...It fits perfectly with what you wrote.
@Venom1080
If you THINK you can handle a nervous, faster species, than GBBs are very hardy.

If an owner kills one of those, they need to own a rock for their next pet.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
whoa whoa, why did you lose the first ones?
@Venom1080 and I are still wondering why the first one was lost, and specifically what the OP will do so that it doesn't happen again haha. I think that's more important than getting a replacement T.

I wouldn't recommend an Avic.

If you THINK you can handle a nervous, faster species, than GBBs are very hardy.

If an owner kills one of those, they need to own a rock for their next pet.
My first one passed away from old age, I got her at a very old age from the previous owner since she was my first, the last one was either old age, bad molt, or a fall which is why I'm asking for suggestions for a new cage.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
@Jeff23 pointed that out...idk what the issue was tbh

In that case I would concur with your original statement... @Eacpup How did you lose your last 2 Ts? And what species were they?
I mentioned the species in the original post. The Rose Hair died from old age, I got her from a friend towards the end of her life, I had her for a total of five years. The last one was an Arizona Blonde, he was a wild caught T and I had him for three to four years, we concluded in my last thread that it was probably a fall, bad molt, or old age. I am trying to find a good cage for these species so if it was a fall, it won't happen again. I love my Ts and I was absolutely devastated when they passed.

Eacpup

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for your help! I think I will go with the GBB for now but I'm going to do some more research on the cage before buying the actual T! I will look into the breeders recommended as well!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Thank you all for your help! I think I will go with the GBB for now but I'm going to do some more research on the cage before buying the actual T! I will look into the breeders recommended as well!
There are lots of container options. Since I own multiple T's I won't be buying expensive containers. So I use the clear Sterilite tubs for adult tarantulas. I use Hobby Lobby display cases or deli cups for slings. They are easy to customize and very low price. But as previously mentioned, look at what Jamie's tarantula's has on enclosures if you want something specialized for tarantulas that looks real nice.

Good luck.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A GBB is a very easy T to take care of. they live in a xeric environment so their demands are relatively easy for a terrestrial T. They are heavy webbers, and probably the main challenge w/them is they will cover their water bowls regularly. Literally a sheet of white in case you didn't know.

Aside from that, and their speed, they grow fast, and have excellent feeding responses.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Weren't you referring to c.cyanopubescens? Saying if an owner managed to kill one they're next pet shoud be a rock. Someone on the boards had a thread about one dying from a bad molt. He even managed to remove the molt but his T died anyway.

I was just explaining how unexpected things could happen to species that are considered hardy as well, it's not always the keeper to blame. This should help you connect the dots...It fits perfectly with what you wrote.
Yes same species.

You and I aren't speaking of the same thing.

Unexpected things, such as what you originally mentioned is not the fault of the owner. I wrote "If an owner kills.."

Those are two VERY different things.

I'm not sure why you addressed my post of general owner husbandry at fault, with a reply about something that is beyond the owners control or even knowledge. o_Oo_O:wideyed::wideyed:

It's like if I said "I love eating fruit such as apples, and don't like veggies", and you replied "Want this spinach":D

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Unexpected things, such as what you originally mentioned is not the fault of the owner. I wrote "If an owner kills.."
I dont think any owner directly kills his T... or expects it to die. If it is the keeper at fault, generally they are just misinformed and aren't aware of what they are doing. There is no "if an owner kills" change that to "if an owner neglects."
I'm not sure why you addressed my post of general owner husbandry at fault, with a reply about something that is beyond the owners control or even knowledge. o_Oo_O:wideyed::wideyed:
As far as general care goes, yeah I get your point. You were implying it was the keeper at fault. I was chiming in and stating it could happen anyway even if the care was right. I don't think it was that off topic...

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
A GBB is a great choice,, visible, active , great look, fast growing and fun to watch feeding response.

Easy care, just keep dry and give things to anchor webs to.
Let it's little creative mind give you a beautiful silk masterpiece.

What more could a keeper want..

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My first one passed away from old age, I got her at a very old age from the previous owner since she was my first, the last one was either old age, bad molt, or a fall which is why I'm asking for suggestions for a new cage.
Post some pictures of the enclosure set up that you want to use and we can make any necessary suggestions for anything that needs to be fixed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont think any owner directly kills his T... or expects it to die. If it is the keeper at fault, generally they are just misinformed and aren't aware of what they are doing. There is no "if an owner kills" change that to "if an owner neglects."
I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I think if an owner neglects a T, they are killing it. There are people that own pets and really don't take care of them properly even with the resources available.

If you neglect a baby by not feeding it that's killing it, no different with another animal in one's care.

However, there are many cases where people ended up with a dead T and they honestly did not know there was more they could have done. Not everyone knows about this site.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. I think if an owner neglects a T, they are killing it. There are people that own pets and really don't take care of them properly even with the resources available.

If you neglect a baby by not feeding it that's killing it, no different with another animal in one's care.

However, there are many cases where people ended up with a dead T and they honestly did not know there was more they could have done. Not everyone knows about this site.
But how do you see in their home to make the accusation without details? I sometimes feel like you make the assumption of the worse case scenario rather than being level or giving a benefit of the doubt.

EDIT* You admitted on another post that you didn't see the other thread before your post here.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But how do you see in their home to make the accusation without details? I sometimes feel like you make the assumption of the worse case scenario rather than being level or giving a benefit of the doubt.

EDIT* You admitted on another post that you didn't see the other thread before your post here.
I didn't make any accusations about someone in this thread. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Please point to where I specifically did so in this thread, ie mentioned someone by name or implied it about someone.

Last edited: