New tarantula

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Hi!

I'm in search for a new tarantula. I've kept tarantulas for nearly two years The ones I own at the moment are:
A. Seemani
Brachypelma auratum
Brachypela Smithi
Lasiodora Parahybana
Grammostola pulchripes
Nhandu chromatus
A. Geniculata

I would like to take "the next step"

Which tarantula should I go with? I want something a bit faster and a bit more defensive. Not an OBT or GBB though.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I was about to suggest a GBB as those are by far my favourite NW species, but seeing that you don´t want one, how about a Pamphobeteus species? They have decent size, and are "out and about" a lot.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just to narrow down options, why not the GBB? Too fast/skittish? They're generally not very defensive.

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Just to narrow down options, why not the GBB? Too fast/skittish? They're generally not very defensive.
Nah I would prefer something defensive and faster. I know a lot of people love the GBB but it's just not for me. It's beautiful but I don't really want one in my collection at the moment :)

Mitch

Arachnopeon
I was about to suggest a GBB as those are by far my favourite NW species, but seeing that you don´t want one, how about a Pamphobeteus species? They have decent size, and are "out and about" a lot.
I haven't really checked the pamphobeteus species out. I'll get straight to it, thanks!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
Nah I would prefer something defensive and faster.
If you feel ready for an Old World tarantula, E. pachypus is perfect as a first OW terrestrial. Also any species of the Ceratogyrus genus is a good choice.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nah I would prefer something defensive and faster. I know a lot of people love the GBB but it's just not for me. It's beautiful but I don't really want one in my collection at the moment :)
Okay, so OBT is too defensive, but you would like something sassy :D

Psalmopoeus cambridgei would be a nice diversion, being arboreal.
Ephebopus murinus is fast and defensive.
If you would like something really fast, Tapinauchenius is an option, gigas gets defensive as well, the other members if the genus not so much.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I haven't really checked the pamphobeteus species out. I'll get straight to it, thanks!
They are easily one of my favorite NW in my collection. They get huge, eat like horses, and are gorgeous as slings. Also, one of the only T's that you can be happy to get a male. They are beautiful, and all they need is a little more humidity :D

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Okay, so OBT is too defensive, but you would like something sassy :D

Psalmopoeus cambridgei would be a nice diversion, being arboreal.
Ephebopus murinus is fast and defensive.
If you would like something really fast, Tapinauchenius is an option, gigas gets defensive as well, the other members if the genus not so much.
Oh no the OBT is not to defensive. I would like a tarantula who is almost aggressively defensive, an angry one. I know this depends on each specimen. I've had the luxury of getting very docile specimens in all my tarantulas. My LP have given me some threat postures and it is quite exciting to see some reaction :)

Mitch

Arachnopeon
They are easily one of my favorite NW in my collection. They get huge, eat like horses, and are gorgeous as slings. Also, one of the only T's that you can be happy to get a male. They are beautiful, and all they need is a little more humidity :D
Oh really how come? Are the males a bit more colourful?

Mitch

Arachnopeon
If you feel ready for an Old World tarantula, E. pachypus is perfect as a first OW terrestrial. Also any species of the Ceratogyrus genus is a good choice.
I guess I would be ready for an old world. Are they fast?

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I guess I would be ready for an old world. Are they fast?
Yes, they are all fast. As they don´t have urticating hairs, they will use their venom as their main line of defense. You will easily get threat poses from most of them.

Kayis

Arachnopeon
If not old world how about a P. Irminia? pretty much fits what you want and it's a "next step" before going OW imo.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Looking at your list, maybe it is time to venture into arboreals and or old worlds.

On an arboreal, Psalmopoeus might be up your alley. I wouldn't jump straight to a Pokie. but P cambridgei, P pulcher and P irminia can be great choices.
OW's, I'd stay away from asians and maybe venture into africans, specifically a baboon. You give them the right environment and leave them be, you'll be ok. I am a big fan of the P muticus. Despite the reputation, they are more of a stand and fight vs a run up the tongs and bite. Likely though, you'll have to set the enclosure up to keep the burrow at the edge so you can see it. They like to go down and stay down.
Another choice is the Ceratogyrus genus. I find my C. darlingi love to burrow along the sides and I see them up top or at the mouth of the burrow quite often. Their prices are very reasonable and they're easy to find. Two others, The Idiothele mira is very cool, essentially a trapdoor tarantula. I'm starting to get into some Harpactira species. I haven't got an H. pulchripes yet, it's pricey, but looks great.

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Looking at your list, maybe it is time to venture into arboreals and or old worlds.

On an arboreal, Psalmopoeus might be up your alley. I wouldn't jump straight to a Pokie. but P cambridgei, P pulcher and P irminia can be great choices.
OW's, I'd stay away from asians and maybe venture into africans, specifically a baboon. You give them the right environment and leave them be, you'll be ok. I am a big fan of the P muticus. Despite the reputation, they are more of a stand and fight vs a run up the tongs and bite. Likely though, you'll have to set the enclosure up to keep the burrow at the edge so you can see it. They like to go down and stay down.
Another choice is the Ceratogyrus genus. I find my C. darlingi love to burrow along the sides and I see them up top or at the mouth of the burrow quite often. Their prices are very reasonable and they're easy to find. Two others, The Idiothele mira is very cool, essentially a trapdoor tarantula. I'm starting to get into some Harpactira species. I haven't got an H. pulchripes yet, it's pricey, but looks great.
I've always wanted a P.muticus, I have to buy a terrarium with an opening on top in that case. They seem to be quite angry. Do they grow fast and how often do they feed?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Oh really how come? Are the males a bit more colourful?
Most males in the genus, when mature, tend to have these incredible shades of pink, purple, and red. Even if you get a male, you get an incredibly beautiful T that you can snd to breed or take great pics.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I've always wanted a P.muticus, I have to buy a terrarium with an opening on top in that case. They seem to be quite angry. Do they grow fast and how often do they feed?
They grow very slowly. They feed like a a lot of desert species, never really a power feeder, but they always seem to eat unless in premolt. They will use as much depth as you give them. Both of mine, one about 6.5" and the other about 3" have large caverns at the bottom. My small one is in a large Critter Keeper that there always seems to be a window to see inside. My large one is in a 20H with a 5 gallon upside down on one of the sides. It created a 4" path along three sides to keep her from burrowing in the middle. I can always peer in to see the Queen.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
They grow remarkably slow. For an adult specimen you might have more luck buying a sterilite container of decent size at IKEA or Clas Ohlson (seeing you are from Sweden ;)). They need a lot substrate in order to burrow properly.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I also have never worried about either of mine walking out. They feel so secure with their hole, if they are on top when I'm near, they will retreat to their hole. When I need in their enclosure, they are literally the last tarantula I own that I feel might make a run for it. The small door on the lid is not something I would worry about (that's just me). I'd never take my eye off them, but frankly, they are the easiest OW's I deal with.