New tarantula

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Pokies, especially adults, are out almost all the time and actually don't hide much...individual specimens vary, but I can see every one of mine any time without much effort except for one skittish striata. They also tend to be calmer, relying on their natural camo for concealment.

They're not a very defensive genus IME, tending to be calmer than most Asian OWs...still, they need to be respected, because they can send you to the er if you're not careful....I would personally raise NW arboreals like Psalmopeous first. Cams are great, always out as they get bigger and fast with a crazy feeding response.....irminia are a lot more defensive...like a lot more...but they're also incredibly reclusive and actually become more reclusive as they grow, the opposite of its cousin the cambridgei.
Yeah my P. cam and P. irminia both have more of an attitude than either of my Pokies. My Pokies will generally just do a couple laps around their enclosures and then flatten out or go behind their cork bark when startled (though my P. metallica will do that if you even walk into the room...that thing is a nutter). Never seen a threat pose from either. I have seen a threat pose from both of my Psalmos, though only a couple times.

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Yeah, it's the best, man. I personally love those (L.parahybana) but a scenario of a "climb & fall" is to avoid, always :-s
Yeah my LP just molted and looks gorgeous. I've had the luck of getting a female. At the moment my fav T

Kayis

Arachnopeon
Oh sorry I meant p.muticus.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for the help with my LP. Will rehouse in the morning :)
Definitely rehouse it....my heart sinks when any of my T's takes any type of fall even when it's a small one from an appropriate enclosure.

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Ahh, muticus is a nice t.

Good luck re-housing everything:)
Well it's only my LP who needs a rehousing. The other ones have about 10-14 cm from substrate to the roof. That can't really hurt them or?

Tanner Dzula

Arachnoknight
Like posted above i would Strongly recommend a Eucratoscelus Pachypus. They are Old World and quite fast(compared to most new worlds) but not nearly as fast as other baboons or Pokies or anything.

They are a good Pet hole(mine set up a good 5" burrow) but when they are out and about they are quite beautiful!
Nice Stout legs in the back, with usually very bright Yellow Front legs.
Its a good Eater, not usually refusing food for me and very easy to get a female!(due to the sexual Demorphism of the species, only the Females have the Stout legs)

IMO a great way to get into Old worlds(my first old world myself) but still handles more like a New world and not too overwhelming as a first OW species.

cold blood

Staff member
And before you get unwanted guff, when typing the scientific name the genus is ALWAYS capitalized, the species is NEVER capitalized. So it would be P. muticus, or Poecilotheria regalis......and technically it should be in italics, although we don't care quite as much about that.

cold blood

Staff member
Well it's only my LP who needs a rehousing. The other ones have about 10-14 cm from substrate to the roof. That can't really hurt them or?
Yeah, too much vertical space still. It takes less than that to kill a falling t.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah my LP just molted and looks gorgeous. I've had the luck of getting a female. At the moment my fav T
Yeah I know well man, they are great NW terrestrial Theraphosidae. The reason why I'm attached to those was... famine. And nothing else.
Italians suffered an arachnid ban and back then I remember that certain people, for a L.parahybana (including those that hated and disliked that genus until the moment before the ban) would had "killed" for one, ah ah. It's only when you risk to lose something the moment you can appreciate how good things were.

They are giant T's, one of the hobby symbols... enough for me. I can't stand the senseless hate for L.P :-s

mistertim

Arachnobaron
And before you get unwanted guff, when typing the scientific name the genus is ALWAYS capitalized, the species is NEVER capitalized. So it would be P. muticus, or Poecilotheria regalis......and technically it should be in italics, although we don't care quite as much about that.
Unless you're @Chris LXXIX. :D

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
and technically it should be in italics, although we don't care quite as much about that.
Bad, my man. Bad. Here in Italy, on arachnid forums (back then just like today) after the second time that (for instance) "you" wrote Grammostola rosea instead of Grammostola rosea everyone is pissed off, not only those "that rule" on the site. There's not a single valid excuse, aside for being lazy, for not use the "I (Italic)" option that the owners of this site offered us. It's just up above... :p

@mistertim
I care, man. I care. Net of my jokes and :troll:, yeah I care about the proper form :-s

cold blood

Staff member
Bad, my man. Bad. Here in Italy, on arachnid forums (back then just like today) after the second time that (for instance) "you" wrote Grammostola rosea instead of Grammostola rosea everyone is pissed off, not only those "that rule" on the site. There's not a single valid excuse, aside for being lazy, for not use the "I (Italic)" option that the owners of this site offered us. It's just up above... :p

@mistertim
I care, man. I care. Net of my jokes and :troll:, yeah I care about the proper form :-s
I didn't say that I cared...I could give a rats behind as long as I know what you're talking about.