New tarantula

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Arboreals and terrestrials hide about equal I think. I don't have a issue with my Pokies hiding. All 7 of mine are out almost all the time.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
As someone already said, Phormictopus cancerides would be a great choice. They're pretty cheap, too.
Some might advise against it but check out some of the Asian fossorials if you want something with a lot of attitude. I've got 5 of them, they're gorgeous spiders.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I'm a bit confused...so were you saying that OBTs weren't defensive enough ( :eek: ) for you and want one even "meaner"...but at the same time you don't have any OW tarantulas yet? That sounds like a potential recipe for bad things happening. If you want to move on to more defensive OWs you really probably want to work up to it a bit. As others have said, Ceratogyrus is a good intro into OWs. If you want to stick with NWs for now and want a fast spider that doesn't really take much crap and is beautiful I'd recommend a P. cambridgei. They're usually out and about, and are not far from Pokie level fast but without the Pokie venom. My first OW was actually a H. pulchripes but those are pretty expensive (though prices have dropped some). A pretty forgiving baboon species but still super fast.

If you really want a spider that is completely uninterested in taking any of your crap and will let you know it VERY fast then I'd say that's S. calceatum. But that would be a TERRIBLE first OW as they will actually go after your ass if you annoy them and they have extremely potent venom.

Mitch

Arachnopeon
I'm a bit confused...so were you saying that OBTs weren't defensive enough (jawdrop )for you and want one even "meaner"...but at the same time you don't have any OW tarantulas yet? That sounds like a potential recipe for bad things happening. If you want to move on to more defensive OWs you really probably want to work up to it a bit. As others have said, Ceratogyrus is a good intro into OWs. If you want to stick with NWs for now and want a fast spider that doesn't really take much crap and is beautiful I'd recommend a P. cambridgei. They're usually out and about, and are not far from Pokie level fast but without the Pokie venom. My first OW was actually a H. pulchripes but those are pretty expensive (though prices have dropped some). A pretty forgiving baboon species but still super fast.

If you really want a spider that is completely uninterested in taking any of your crap and will let you know it VERY fast then I'd say that's S. calceatum. But that would be a TERRIBLE first OW as they will actually go after your ass if you annoy them and they have extremely potent venom.
Haha no! I just don't want the GBB or the OBT. I knew a lot of people probably would recommend those two. What I meant was that I don't really mind if they are fast and defensive. I just want a spider with a bit of attitude. As I said take the next step.

I will probably go for both an arboreal and a webber since I don't have either.

cold blood

Staff member
I've always wanted a P.muticus, I have to buy a terrarium with an opening on top in that case.
Umm, that would be the case for any and every terrestrial...front opening doors are almost always for arboreals and a poor place for terrestrials without significant modifications. Front doors prevent you from adding sufficient substrate to make the cage terrestrial safe (or have enough sub to burrow under).

I'm curious now just how your current terrestrials are housed after reading that.

P. cancerides, hands down. They're pretty slow growing once they hit 3"-4", but they get large and they're beautiful. By far one of my most defensive specimens, including my OW's. You have the benefit of an extremely defensive tarantula that eats anything with the added benefit of insignificant venom. And it's purple!

Yeah, cancerides are perfect for what you want...skittish, fast, kinda mean and compared to all my other NW terrestrials, quite a handful.

It looks very purple on the pictures. Is it THAT purple in real life too?
Mature males of the genera Phormictipus, Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis all have large MMs that sport very vibrant purples...crazy how bright and colorful they are...but this is only the MMs of these ts. Females and immature males are much less purple and its really only visible from the right angles.

They start out as blue spiderlings though and grow fast up to about 3".

Is there any pokies that stay out? Or all pokies tends to hide a lot?
Pokies, especially adults, are out almost all the time and actually don't hide much...individual specimens vary, but I can see every one of mine any time without much effort except for one skittish striata. They also tend to be calmer, relying on their natural camo for concealment.

They're not a very defensive genus IME, tending to be calmer than most Asian OWs...still, they need to be respected, because they can send you to the er if you're not careful....I would personally raise NW arboreals like Psalmopeous first. Cams are great, always out as they get bigger and fast with a crazy feeding response.....irminia are a lot more defensive...like a lot more...but they're also incredibly reclusive and actually become more reclusive as they grow, the opposite of its cousin the cambridgei.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Oh no the OBT is not to defensive. I would like a tarantula who is almost aggressively defensive, an angry one.
Aside for the fact that "aggressive" is a wrong term, listen to me. Buy a female Selenocosmia aruana. Or a female Stromatopelma calceatum. Or jump directly into Asian centipedes and... to hell experience, one moment, if you seek a real challenge.

They are like the ones that will thug your house, steal your stuff, destroy your oh so precious 4K TV, rape your wife/daughter/whatever, then the day after have a seat at Ophra's PC stage-set blabbing all the way about your "bad" husbandry, with the audience "BUUUH!" at U :-s

:kiss:

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Umm, that would be the case for any and every terrestrial...front opening doors are almost always for arboreals and a poor place for terrestrials without significant modifications. Front doors prevent you from adding sufficient substrate to make the cage terrestrial safe (or have enough sub to burrow under).

I'm curious now just how your current terrestrials are housed after reading that.

Yeah, cancerides are perfect for what you want...skittish, fast, kinda mean and compared to all my other NW terrestrials, quite a handful.

Mature males of the genera Phormictipus, Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis all have large MMs that sport very vibrant purples...crazy how bright and colorful they are...but this is only the MMs of these ts. Females and immature males are much less purple and its really only visible from the right angles.

Pokies, especially adults, are out almost all the time and actually don't hide much...individual specimens vary, but I can see every one of mine any time without much effort except for one skittish striata. They also tend to be calmer, relying on their natural camo for concealment.

They're not a very defensive genus IME, tending to be calmer than most Asian OWs...still, they need to be respected, because they can send you to the er if you're not careful....I would personally raise NW arboreals like Psalmopeous first. Cams are great, always out as they get bigger and fast with a crazy feeding response.....irminia are a lot more defensive...like a lot more...but they're also incredibly reclusive and actually become more reclusive as they grow, the opposite of its cousin the cambridgei.
Well this is how I house my LP, I've had no problems with her what so ever or in fact with any of my tarantulas. The others look pretty much the same. With a front opening. I guess that would be quite a problem with a faster tarantula though

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Well this is how I house my LP, I've had no problems with her what so ever or in fact with any of my tarantulas. The others look pretty much the same. With a front opening. I guess that would be quite a problem with a faster tarantula though
Yeah that's a totally inappropriate set up for any terrestrial...you're asking for a bad fall in that cage....way way way too much vertical space. And the cover should be on the ground, not elevated like that plant....again, perfect for an arboreal though.

At least you already have some arboreal enclosures:)

Mitch

Arachnopeon

I'll probably go for an arboreal first and possibly a p.Murinus. When would you recommend me getting a pokie?

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Yeah that's a totally inappropriate set up for any terrestrial...you're asking for a bad fall in that cage....way way way too much vertical space. And the cover should be on the ground, not elevated like that plant....again, perfect for an arboreal though.

At least you already have some arboreal enclosures:)
Well my others aren't as high as this one is. This one is 40cm high and the other ones are 28 I think! Well my LP mostly sits and looks outside the burrow. It haven't ever climbed the walls.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Looks like I'm rehousing in the morning then. Thanks for the update guys
Yeah, it's the best, man. I personally love those (L.parahybana) but a scenario of a "climb & fall" is to avoid, always :-s

cold blood

Staff member
The others look pretty much the same.
Well my others aren't as high as this one is. This one is 40cm high and the other ones are 28 I think! Well my LP mostly sits and looks outside the burrow. It haven't ever climbed the walls.
Which is it, in one post they look pretty much the same, in the next the others aren't as high.

Either way, 28cm is still too high.

Hasn't ever climbed the walls?? Ha...do you have 24 hour video surveillance to confirm this...nope, because a t will climb the walls (its inevitable), no matter which species it is, which is exactly why we suggest shorter enclosures and tell people to avoid tall enclosures. No worries friend, its a classic mistake many people make.....just change it so we don't have to answer the "what happened to my LP" thread.....we've already answered enough of them.