New tarantula

Mitch

Arachnopeon
I also have never worried about either of mine walking out. They feel so secure with their hole, if they are on top when I'm near, they will retreat to their hole. When I need in their enclosure, they are literally the last tarantula I own that I feel might make a run for it. The small door on the lid is not something I would worry about (that's just me). I'd never take my eye off them, but frankly, they are the easiest OW's I deal with.
Oh, I better get down to my local supplier and have a look at one live. Really seems to be a nice tarantula to keep!

Mitch

Arachnopeon
They grow remarkably slow. For an adult specimen you might have more luck buying a sterilite container of decent size at IKEA or Clas Ohlson (seeing you are from Sweden ;)). They need a lot substrate in order to burrow properly.
Well I prefer to have them in glass terrariums, it looks better in the living room. Hopefully my collection won't be getting and bigger :)

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Brachypelma vagans

If you own A.genic and N.chromatus. I think you can handle taking care of an OW. If you give an OW a proper enclosure they would rather hide than bite. I have never seen an threat posture from My OBT. I have seen it from all the T's you have listed though. Then again... I don't think I have ever seen my OBT. I have a pet web that covers a pet hole.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
P. cancerides, hands down. They're pretty slow growing once they hit 3"-4", but they get large and they're beautiful. By far one of my most defensive specimens, including my OW's. You have the benefit of an extremely defensive tarantula that eats anything with the added benefit of insignificant venom. And it's purple!

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Brachypelma vagans

If you own A.genic and N.chromatus. I think you can handle taking care of an OW. If you give an OW a proper enclosure they would rather hide than bite. I have never seen an threat posture from My OBT. I have seen it from all the T's you have listed though. Then again... I don't think I have ever seen my OBT. I have a pet web that covers a pet hole.
Hahaha so I've heard. Must be special when you finally gets to see it though! :)

Mitch

Arachnopeon
P. cancerides, hands down. They're pretty slow growing once they hit 3"-4", but they get large and they're beautiful. By far one of my most defensive specimens, including my OW's. You have the benefit of an extremely defensive tarantula that eats anything with the added benefit of insignificant venom. And it's purple!
It looks very purple on the pictures. Is it THAT purple in real life too?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It looks very purple on the pictures. Is it THAT purple in real life too?
It's purple, yeah. It's an iridescent purple, so the color really shows up under light. But it's not like it's only a brown spider under normal light, it's definitely purple under any conditions. And they get more purple with size, eventually landing on a black-purple iridescent rather than a brown-purple. They start showing the purple at around only 2".

They grow very quickly as slings, but like I said, they slow way down at around half-adult size. This species is one of the best eaters out there, better than even A. geniculata. And lucky you, @Blue Jaye just got a sac out of her female :D

They do require a bit of humidity, so be prepared for that.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Are you preferring arboreal, terrestrial, burrowing, etc.?

Mitch

Arachnopeon
It's purple, yeah. It's an iridescent purple, so the color really shows up under light. But it's not like it's only a brown spider under normal light, it's definitely purple under any conditions. And they get more purple with size, eventually landing on a black-purple iridescent rather than a brown-purple. They start showing the purple at around only 2".

They grow very quickly as slings, but like I said, they slow way down at around half-adult size. This species is one of the best eaters out there, better than even A. geniculata. And lucky you, @Blue Jaye just got a sac out of her female :D

They do require a bit of humidity, so be prepared for that.
That sounds like a fun tarantula, better keep my eyes out for one of those! :)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Doesn't really matter. It would be fun with a arboreal but they tend to hide quite a bit or am I wrong?
It depends on the choice. Psalmopoeus cambridgei and Psalmopoeus pulcher don't hide, but I am not sure if either one will be defensive enough for you. Personalities for them vary and change over time. There are lots of OW arboreal T's but someone else will have to advise on the best choices since I only own NW arboreal T's.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guess I would be ready for an old world. Are they fast?
All OWs are fast, some are faster than others. They all make NWs look SLOW, except for Tapi's.

A great beginner OW genus is Ceratogyrus, even M. balfouri are good beginners too, just more expensive.

Mitch

Arachnopeon
It depends on the choice. Psalmopoeus cambridgei and Psalmopoeus pulcher don't hide, but I am not sure if either one will be defensive enough for you. Personalities for them vary and change over time. There are lots of OW arboreal T's but someone else will have to advise on the best choices since I only own NW arboreal T's.
Is there any pokies that stay out? Or all pokies tends to hide a lot?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is there any pokies that stay out? Or all pokies tends to hide a lot?
Generally no in my experience. In the wild they live in a deep hole within a tree. It's so deep the trees are often killed for a single Poki to be collected into the pet trade.

Last edited:

Mitch

Arachnopeon
Generally no. In the wild they live in a deep hole within a tree. It's so deep the trees are often killed for a single Poki to be collected into the pet trade.
Generally no. In the wild they live in a deep hole within a tree. It's so deep the trees are often killed for a single Poki to be collected into the pet trade.
For real? Well in that case I won't be buying a pokie. But man, they are beautiful

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For real? Well in that case I won't be buying a pokie. But man, they are beautiful
I don't lie.

Generally speaking I never recommend a Poki as a first OW T. Generally speaking that's a terrible choice.