New Tarantula Study

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Compelling article not just on the description of male Typhochlaena curumim, but also relevant info on how our hobby effects critically endangered species.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Some thoughts on this article.
- Providing morphological description of male is very good thing.
- The most importat information in this article is, that species which has been previously officially known only from single tiny locality, actually lives in three brazil states! And authors expect it to inhabits more forrest fragments in these states.
- Article shows that basically nothing is known about this species, with 3 females from original description and 4 males of this work being only officially recorded specimens.
- Article says that it tends to be problematic to assess conservation status of invertebrates due to scaricity of data on their distribution and populations. Yet, in spite of previous points, species is claimed endangered.
- Article focus greatly on pet trade, while bigger danger to this and other species is barely mentioned.
To sum up, I see this article as good news on this species, but not so good news on state of brazilian science.

KenNet

Arachnosquire
Great! You know those facts for sure? How was your last stay in Brasil? From what university do you get your information to do such a bluntly statement?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I think @Patherophis makes some good points. It is important to remember that there rarely is only one issue threatening an endangered species, in this particular case it could be argued that continued forest degradation and fragmentation may pose a threat as great or greater to the survival of the species than collection from the wild, especially if collectors are only aware of a few locales and the species is more widespread than originally thought.

Not to say that collecting is not a present and real threat (though the extent as noted is hard to quantify), but I think Patherophis's points should be addressed and discussed and not just dismissed out of hand.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Great! You know those facts for sure? How was your last stay in Brasil? From what university do you get your information to do such a bluntly statement?
Is @Patherophis wrong in the things s/he wrote? I haven't read the paper yet, but perhaps you have?

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Compelling article not just on the description of male Typhochlaena curumim, but also relevant info on how our hobby effects critically endangered species.

Thanks for sharing that article it's a very good read.

Brazil has red listed this tarantula as critically endangered and the penalties are ten fold for anyone caught trying to smuggle them out of the country.

Sad to see the pet trade impacting it. I guess this is why arachnologist do not care for tarantula enthusiasts. At least that's what I'm coming away with.