new tarantula owner

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
Hey there, new tarantula owner here with a few mounting questions. My hubby inherited what I believe to be a chilean roseback over the summer. I believe she is going through a Moult (been very still last couple of weeks, hasn't eaten in about a month, spun a Web & found flipped over this morning)

Don't worry I'm haven't touched her! Nor am I planning on it.

That being said, when should I expect it? She's relatively large

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
If she is flipped over, she should molt within 24 hours. Pics of enclosure + spider will help.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Here she is
When it completes the molt and flips back over make sure not to feed it until the fangs are black.
Is there a hide in the enclosure? If not then you will want to provide one in case it wishes to retreat out of sight. But wait until it is done molting first.

Welcome to the hobby/boards!

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
Yes there is a skull hide on the other side of the terrarium & I wasn't planning on feeding again for at least a week after. Just wanted to make sure this was normal & approximately it took

When it completes the molt and flips back over make sure not to feed it until the fangs are black.
Is there a hide in the enclosure? If not then you will want to provide one in case it wishes to retreat out of sight. But wait until it is done molting first.

Welcome to the hobby/boards!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Yes there is a skull hide on the other side of the terrarium & I wasn't planning on feeding again for at least a week after. Just wanted to make sure this was normal & approximately it took
Looks normal to me. It will likely take a while for it to complete the process though. More than likely you'll go to bed, wake up in the morning, and find a freshly molted Tarantula stretching and doing all kinds of yoga poses.

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
I wish I could watch, but my four legged animals need me too

Definitely looks like it's molting. If you don't have plans for today you should pull up a chair and watch the show! If you do have plans you should cancel them :happy:

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
And thank you all for the reassuring messages. My hubby though she was dead this morning

I'm far from shy, so if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to post

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
And thank you all for the reassuring messages. My hubby though she was dead this morning

I'm far from shy, so if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to post
Make sure you tell hubby that pretty soon you will want more! Think of Tarantulas as being similar to potato chips, one is never enough ;)

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
This is wrong. You feed when the fangs turn black. They go from white>red>black
Follow this. Depending on age and size it could take a couple of days or a couple of weeks to turn black. At the size yours is the time will be longer rather than shorter. Once the fangs are black you are g2g!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Sorry to intrude, I was just wondering if there is a way of checking the white>red>black on smaller Ts? Other than disturbing them of course.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sorry to intrude, I was just wondering if there is a way of checking the white>red>black on smaller Ts? Other than disturbing them of course.
HAHA, sometimes you can't tell on larger ones either, esp if they are fossorial. Slings harden up much quicker. Sometimes you cannot tell even with a flashlight. What's important is LEARNING the behavior of your T, it's body posture, positioning etc. This is not a pet you throw in food have a show, and leave.

Successful keepers IMO, learn their wild animal's behavior.

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
I'll be sure not to feed until fangs are black.

I never planned on having a T, it just happened so I appreciate the information. I'm just learning as I go & am trying to do right by her

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
What's important is LEARNING the behavior of your T, it's body posture, positioning etc. This is not a pet you throw in food have a show, and leave.
Successful keepers IMO, learn their wild animal's behavior.
Similar to reptiles then, finally something I have years of practice at that I can apply to Ts! I agree 100% that learning the animals behavior is a key part of keeping them. No matter if they are arachnid, mammal, or reptile etc.

Sounds like the best option is to watch the animal as best and as much as possible for a chance at seeing the fangs. I can definitely get behind that idea. I love watching them already.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Similar to reptiles then, finally something I have years of practice at that I can apply to Ts! I agree 100% that learning the animals behavior is a key part of keeping them. No matter if they are arachnid, mammal, or reptile etc.

Sounds like the best option is to watch the animal as best and as much as possible for a chance at seeing the fangs. I can definitely get behind that idea. I love watching them already.
I'm actually herp keeper FIRST, T keeper second. I can tell you that very little of knowledge from herps was useful to Ts.

About the only thing that applied is the behavior, detail oriented observations, and a bit of the DIY attitude to make things etc.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does that T look a bit like a mature male to anyone else?

Kellyp

Arachnopeon
It very well may be. I just assumed female because I know they live longer then males & this particular one is older.