New Tarantula choices

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK so I have a G.Rosea, and am getting my babies tomorrow :
(C.fasciatum,B.albopilosum,G.pulchripes)

I have been offered the following for sale by one guy :
2x unsexed B.vagans around 6cm
1x Chilobrchys huahini (asian giant fawn) around 8cm, unsexed
1x Brachypelma alticeps ( mexican golden red rump) unsexed female 12cm
(sexed by external inspection not exuvia)
1x Lampropelma violoceops (singapore blue) subadult female 12cm

And by the other :
A sub-adult Vagans female
An Emilia (small)
G.Pulchra (5cm)

Which would be my best bet for next species, in your opinion, and why ?

Last edited:

Mack&Cass

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It all depends on your personal preferences. If you feel like you're ready to take on an OW, I would recommend the L. violaceopes over the C. huahini. Chilos are intimidating and nasty and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone for their first OW. I would recommend the B. albiceps or B. vagans, personally. They're both more skittish than B. albopilosum and they're both gorgeous. The B. albiceps is my personal favourite, and Brachypelma is my favourite genus (so I'm biased).

Like I said, it comes down to personal preference and how ready you think you are to branch out into OWs. If you want something different from what you already have, then it would be the L. violaceopes, but only you know how ready you are for that.

Cass

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is just MO , but I would go for the Albiceps ;) They grow a decent size , are good eaters , and handeable . They do flick hairs though , so I would watch out for that . What are the prices for the little buggers ?

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say go for the B. emilia! I've never owned one, not yet anyway! But from what I've heard they're one of the more docile of the brachys not to mention great colors. I won't personally suggest you stay away from OWs for now since you've only had a G. rosea up 'till now. :) I mean, unless YOU personally feel you're ready to deal with the speed, venom, and defensive-ness of an OW T.

If you're looking for something with a little more spunk then what you've got so far, I'd suggest maybe the female B. vagans. Mines pretty skittish and she can have an attitude when she wants to.

brian abrams

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Next T

You have a number of great choices. The top 3 IMO are definately B Albiceps, G Pulchra, and B Emelia. B Vagans are remarkable, underrated T's, but are inexpensive, and very common. The ones I recommended are highly sought-after NW's. The Albiceps is IMO is the most attractive and least readily available.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To give you guys an idea of prices - I live in South Africa - the price in dollar equivalent would be :

2x unsexed B.vagans around 6cm $28
1x Chilobrchys huahini (asian giant fawn) around 8cm, unsexed=$28
2x Grammostola pulchripes 1cm slings (chaco golden knee) $12
1x Brachypelma alticeps ( mexican golden red rump) unsexed female 12cm ( sexed by external inspection not exuvia)=$50
1x Lampropelma violoceops (singapore blue) subadult female 12cm= $95
Vagans (subadult) $45
Emilia (small) $25
Pulchra $45

I'm still tending to NW and terrestrial or at least visible {D since I dont want too many "pet holes"{D

I'm thinking def the Pulchra and Emilia, and maybe the subadult Vagans since I have a few babies arriving today and am impatient for them to grow up LOL.

Dangergirl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Done deal, I'm taking the Emilia, Pulchra and Boehemi !
Now I'm off to make enclosures for them !!:razz:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Done deal, I'm taking the Emilia, Pulchra and Boehemi !
Now I'm off to make enclosures for them !!:razz:
I would have went for the pulchripes & the LV.. {D But hey.. Congrats on MORE new critters.. :D