new tank (aboreal ideas)

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I recently came into ownership of a fish tank i used to have as a kid (got it from my mom). It's a hexagonal tank that is about a foot or so high and about 6 inches in its longest diameter. I was thinking this would be a great tank for an aboreal, however, i would need to make a top for it, which would not be hard. I guess my question to the boards is that if I make a top for it the door would obviously be on top and with the T be being aboreal I'm wondering if this would be a good idea or not with the T being near the top whenever I go to feed it or fill its water. Has anyone had experience with situations such as this and if so how did u go about preventing escape or ease the maintenance of the tank, thanks.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
depends on the setup you offer the t. there is a chance that she will built a web at the highest point, thus making the setup less than ideal, but you can do a thing or two to discourage that.

as we are talking a big juvie or adult here (judging from the size of the tank), you should offer it only 2" of substrate and a corc tube or something similar. make sure that the vertical hide doesn't reach the top of the cage. if the top is bare, many arboreals will rather hide in a cork tube a bit below that built their web up where there is no cover. also, all the plants/sticks you put in there should end 3" or something like that below the lid, so the t has nothing worthwile to attach her web to at the very top.

to make really sure you can also use a small bird house with a lid as a hide. so the t cannot extend the web from the top of the tube to the lid.

all my arboreals have cork tubes or half tubes. and all have accepted them as a hide, though some of them do not reach the top of the cage.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess my question to the boards is that if I make a top for it the door would obviously be on top and with the T be being aboreal I'm wondering if this would be a good idea or not with the T being near the top whenever I go to feed it or fill its water. Has anyone had experience with situations such as this and if so how did u go about preventing escape or ease the maintenance of the tank, thanks.
PUNCTUATION POWER!!!!!! (sry, couldn't resist)

ogershok

Arachnopeon
Here's my solution - the neck and cap of a soda bottle inserted through the lid and glued in place. This way you don't have to open the main lid and destroy the tube web of arboreals that attach them to the top.