New T!

xCzD

Arachnopeon
I bought a new G. Auriostriata today and it keeps climbing the cage- even with dry substrate.
Does anybody have any idea why? :D

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a new G. Auriostriata today and it keeps climbing the cage- even with dry substrate.
Does anybody have any idea why? :D
This is normal. It's just getting used to it's new habitat. Oh and it's G. pulchripes now.

And make sure you have enough substrate in there so the T doesn't fall and get injured.

xCzD

Arachnopeon
That's what I thought, but thanks for the clarification. She's happily munching on a cricket at the moment. She can stand and touch the top of the enclosure, so she won't get hurt. :)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They almost always do that at first. It's because they are uncomfortable and unfamiliar. They lay down webbing when they eat and then are more comfy, so it shouldn't last long.

Of course, tarantulas will sometimes climb up walls for any of the following reasons:

1. The substrate is moist and they don't like wet feet
2. The substrate isn't very cohesive and so it sticks to them or the just don't like the feel of it.
3. They don't like the taste of the substrate (they taste with their feet). This is often a problem with substrate that has molded, even after it has later been dried out. It can also be a problem if the substrate was previously used by a different T.

If none of those is the case, then it's probably a temporary thing while the T settles in. And of course, some T's just climb the walls a lot. My B boehmei is almost always on the walls and nothing I have tried has changed that.

xCzD

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the feedback. :D
Another question; Since I got my G. Pulchripes on Sunday, it's eaten 4 large crickets, and 4 superworms! Do they usually eat this much? Should I keep feeding until it stops eating? I've never had a T eat this much!

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Stop feeding it so much. You've already overfed it by 2 crickets and 4 superworms.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I normally feed mine one or two crickets every 6 or 7 days. They don't need to eat that much.

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can feed them more if you want them to grow faster or you can feed them less to grow slower, mor normally.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
3. They don't like the taste of the substrate (they taste with their feet).
{D This is almost as funny as someone saying they "drink" through their feet.... {D

Can I ask for a link to your source?