New T Suggestions

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
So I have convinced my G/F that since I can only buy crickets in dozens, I need three more T's :)

This is what I was thinking :

B. Smithy ( something to hand train)
G. aureostriata ( something big, but not mean )
Cyclosternum fasciatum ( something to look at ) ... but I will I see it ?

I only have one GBB now. Is there anything I should know ( outside of humidity levels ) about these different species ?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The big difference between those three is size, the fasciatum is somewhat like a GBB, they web a lot, they are opportunistic about where they hang out, and they are fast, and they are a dwarf species.
The smithi is mid sized, pretty, docile, does not hide a whole lot, but can be a hair kicker.
If you want a good handling T the chaco wins. Its a big T, up to 8 inches as an adult, not as flashy looking as the other two, but still beautiful, brown with gold striping on the legs.
I wouldn't recommend trying to handle a fasciatum, they are a little to speedy. Hope this helps.

scjones22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well you are on the right track IMO. Smithi's seem to take a long time to grow but they are well worth it when they do get larger. The Chaco is going to be a gentle giant, kinda like a teddy bear. But on the other hand your GBB is a "DO NOT LOOK AT THE WRONG WAY T" they are super skittish and the will kick hairs at anything that rubs them wrong. But I have all of these Ts and I enjoy them to the fullest. Hope you think the same.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
instead of a B. smithi, how about a B. emilia. Pretty much the same T only more color.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would prefer an emilia over a smithi as well, bump in for the aureostriata as I love mine. :D

PinkLady

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My C.fasciatum I see very rarely. Beautiful T...big time webber...not something to handle at all. The smithi is a beatiful T also but I would never handle due to the hair kicking...it's a horrible feeling when it happens to you. Now my G.aureostriata...another beauty and can be handled. I don't hold my T's anymore unless it's by accident where they fly up onto my hand and I think to myself...how much is this gonna hurt..lol I agree that the B.emilia is another very attractive T. I have a thought for ya....when I can't decide...I just buy them all. :D

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My C.fasciatum I see very rarely. :D
That's what I'm afraid of. If I wanted to get a beautiful spider I'd never see I'd get a Colbolt Blue ( H. lividum )

What about a Xenesthis immanis. Yet I have this feeling it's a " high needs " T

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want something to look at, you can't go wrong with an acanthoscuria geniculata. Big, nice looking, and nearly always visible.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Personally the acanthoscuria geniculataerso just isn't flashy enough... thanx though. It looks alot like the golden knee.

What's " flashy " low maintence, and won't hide all the time ?

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
how about Phormictopus Cancerides? big, attitude, awsome coloring and great looking starburst pattern on the carapace.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
even though its not a great handling T, what about L. Parahybana? They get BIG (about T blondi size), they are very forgiving about husbandry, and they are very pretty. Also they are almost always out once they have a good amount of size on them.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmm The Hatian T looks just mean... No thanks. A Brazilian Salmon Pink I don't think would be enough of a " show " T. I'll have the Chaco for size...

What's the " flashy-est " T out there, that doesn't hide all the time or always want to make a meal of me ?

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Most of them are going to hide as slings. How about aphonopelma bicoloratum? They are slow growing, but very colorful.