New T Stirmi advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
Hi guys
Bought an adult female t stirmi about a week ago. Large set up temp at 24c and humidity mid 70%. She has not eaten yet. Is this normal ? Do they have a settling in period

Tomoran

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It can take them a while to settle in an eat. My first stirmi was a young adult, and he took about a month before he started eating. They can also take a long time in premolt when they are larger.

Is she nice and fat? Pics? :)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It can take a while for them to get settled in, best thing you can do is leave it be and wait, the less disturbances the better. Some will eat as soon as a day after the rehouse, others will take longer before accepting food.

Either way feeding is not a huge concern just yet, they can go for long periods without eating. Remember the rehouse is initially very stressful to them, often that's the reason they don't take food right away. Nothing to worry about, pictures would help for some perspective.

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I will keep trying her every week or so. As you can see from pic she is fat and in good health

Attachments

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks. I will keep trying her every week or so. As you can see from pic she is fat and in good health
I can tell that you have her in an Exo Terra terrarium, from the vent strip in that photo. What size Exo Terra? How much distance between the substrate and the lid? Did you modify the screen lid? You may have a fall risk and/or safety issue.

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
I guess it's around 60cm by 45 and substrate is no more than 6 or 7 inch from top. Well under spiders leg span. I have my Dubai roach colony on top to mask off some of ventilation. I am not concerned about safety issues in this set up but thanks

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I guess it's around 60cm by 45 and substrate is no more than 6 or 7 inch from top. Well under spiders leg span. I have my Dubai roach colony on top to mask off some of ventilation. I am not concerned about safety issues in this set up but thanks
How can the substrate be 6 or 7 inches from the top? The front dam and vent below the front opening doors on an 18 inch tall exo terra, is not almost a foot tall.
By asking about modifying the top, it wasn't concerning ventilation restriction. It was about the screen itself, in case the spider gets its tarsal claws hooked and looses a leg.
You may not be concerned about a spider's safety in such an enclosure, but I would be.

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
How can the substrate be 6 or 7 inches from the top? The front dam and vent below the front opening doors on an 18 inch tall exo terra, is not almost a foot tall.
By asking about modifying the top, it wasn't concerning ventilation restriction. It was about the screen itself, in case the spider gets its tarsal claws hooked and looses a leg.
You may not be concerned about a spider's safety in such an enclosure, but I would be.
Good job it's not your spider then ain't it

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good job it's not your spider then ain't it
Your thread is titled "New T stirmi advice". If you don't want to accept any advice, then don't ask for it. I have years of experience with this species, obviously you don't. Its a living creature that deserves proper care; don't act like an ass.

cold blood

Staff member
An exo terra with front opening doors is 100% NOT appropriate...thats an arboreal enclosure.

Terrible species to own as a beginner....sooo many Theraposa die in the hands of newer keepers its crazy. Good luck and please listen to experienced keepers.

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
I'm sure it wasn't the first time, and it won't be the last. Treat others with respect and you'll receive the same in kind.

how did I not respect you. You are embarrassed because you made a mistake and so you resort to insults. Very very clever

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
An exo terra with front opening doors is 100% NOT appropriate...thats an arboreal enclosure.

Terrible species to own as a beginner....sooo many Theraposa die in the hands of newer keepers its crazy. Good luck and please listen to experienced keepers.
Thanks. I have been keeping tarantulas for 40 years with great success and although I have never owned this species I don't really class myself as a beginner

Ricky P

Arachnopeon
I will spell it out very very clearly although it was not my question. My exo terra is 60cm long by 45. Cm wide and 30cm tall. With substrate there is around a 7 inch gap to top. How the hell is that not appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.