New T, Pyschotic Rose hair.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Hey folks,

Today I was at a local pet shop, and noticed they had two new juvenile G. Roseas (they had them called Grammastola Cola?, but labelled Chilean rose Hair, Is that the whole thing with two rosehair species becoming classified as one?) Anyhow, I looked at the condition the older T's were in (read my post in pet shop reviews for details) and decided I needed to make sure at least one of them got a better life out of it. Had I had more than a twenty on me, I'd have gotten both. As it is, 15 dollars for a 4 inch juvenile didn't seem too bad to me, and It was fresh from whatever supplier they get them from, because noone in the shop had even bothered to take it out of the deli cup, it was quite odd, seeing this nice habitat all made up with a spider in a cup in the middle.

Anyhow, I'm rambling, so I've got the spider, and I've made a home out of a beanie babie display case I got at the drug store out of the clearance rack for a quarter (they are really good, I think.. I bought 4 - like 20 left if you live in chicago near milwaulkee/western) Dremelled some air holes, and found a better way to secure the lid, then put some peat in there, and a cricket to get the T started, and prepared to move it into it's new home. Expecting it to be fairly docile, I opened the lid of the deli cup, paintbrush in hand, and attempted to move it into the new enclosure.. Well, the T spun around 180 degrees and sunk it's claws into the brush and put it in a death grip. I almost had to force it into the enclosure, until it noticed the cricket, at which point it lost interest in escaping and destroying my paintbrush and tore the cricket up like it hadn't eaten in months. Since then, the T finished it's meal, and has sat looking at the entrance which is electrical taped shut (The downside of these containers is lack of locking mechanism) It sporadically attacks the plastic walls, and seems generally psychotic so far. Anyone else seen Rosehairs like this, or is it possibly just shock from the whole moving experience?

Bill.

P.S. - I've named it 'Kill-o-gramm'. har har.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
G. rosea is one of the most unpredictable species out there, so just about any behavior may be considered normal!

G. cala is a name often erroniously applied to the more red specimens of G. rosea. There may be a real G. cala, but it is apparently not in the pet trade. G. "cola" is probably just a mispelling on the store's part. By the way, in latin names, only the first part of the name is capitalized, not that it matters much on these informal forums. Actually, the latin names are also supposed to be in italics, but I don't usually bother with it on the net.

Wade

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Latin names

yeah, I noticed that, I'm just a Capatilization fiend. Back in School, I used to fail english tests for capitilizing every other word unintentionaly. But this has me going, and I'm gonna start another thread on latin names...

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pet Peeves of a Taxonomist

I think taxonomists are a little anal at times (I speak from personal experience). I continually give my students a bad time abouth the whole capitalize the genus, lower case the species epithet and italicize (or underline) the works. Yada, yada, yada.

I guess from now on I will HAVE to follow all the rules. I think I have so far, but don't double check me. :}

Bryan

brycem

Arachnopeon
Grammastola cola:? I read the post from 2002, and have just seen another cola, not cala at Petco in Kingman Az.they are recommending 5-6 inches of substrate and only providing 1 inch, and the humidity is off from their recommended range. The T itself is a dark black color with some ghosting on the edges. The price is $20.00. Anyone have any insight?:?

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Rosehairs for the most part are docile.

Think about it. There are a lot of things going on. You can't just label it a "monster" at this point. Think about the variables:

1. It was at a petstore, most don't know how to treat T's. They are notorious for that. It may have been very stressed out.

2. You just took it from one home and put it into another. Also stressful.

Therefore, give it awhile and once it adjusts to its new home, then decide if its Doctor Jekyll.

Good Luck and let us know.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rosehairs for the most part are docile.

Think about it. There are a lot of things going on. You can't just label it a "monster" at this point. Think about the variables:

1. It was at a petstore, most don't know how to treat T's. They are notorious for that. It may have been very stressed out.

2. You just took it from one home and put it into another. Also stressful.

Therefore, give it awhile and once it adjusts to its new home, then decide if its Doctor Jekyll.

Good Luck and let us know.
Good point and I agree with whats said, so far it sounds like you have a Psychocola rosea. :p

wicked

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grammastola cola:? I read the post from 2002, and have just seen another cola, not cala at Petco in Kingman Az.they are recommending 5-6 inches of substrate and only providing 1 inch, and the humidity is off from their recommended range. The T itself is a dark black color with some ghosting on the edges. The price is $20.00. Anyone have any insight?:?

Ahhh yes, the Petco cola. Its a mistake that Petco does not acknowledge. Hmm, not sure what that one is selling as a Rose. Any chance you could get a pic? The Petco here once had their A seemani and rose hair signs swapped.

Since Conipto posted about his psycho in 2002 I am pretty sure he has found out if she is really a monster or not. ;)

There are some Ts out there that break the mold on reputation. I have a psycho G pulchra. I have had her for two years and she is still a moody nutcase.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There are some Ts out there that break the mold on reputation. I have a psycho G pulchra. I have had her for two years and she is still a moody nutcase.
My OBT reminds me of some of my ex girlfriends.

I guess that's normal, though :rolleyes:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

yes i know what you mean i got a red knee thats a bitch !! and a P - MURINUS thats not to bad at all ? so go figure that one out :? :? :) ;) === phil

craige431

Arachnopeon
softy rosea

i have a soft 4 and a half inch rosea he has to be one of the soundest t's at first he used to go into defencive pose even when changing water now when you pick him up a first he shakes but very tolerant quite happy to let my 7 y old girl hold him lovery animal guess you get nut cases of any kind though