New T owner - wanting to get into old world Ts - a few concerns

Unravel

Arachnosquire
I just recently got my first spider and am already itching for another. I was aiming for an LP, GBB, or A varsicolor... but then i saw some old world tarantulas and am really intrigued. I have no experience with anything aggressive or even defensive as my B smithi is docile. I don't really want to open my tank and have it jump out at me. I'm not looking to handle them but do want to be able to clean their cages once in awhile without any danger.

Basically what i'm looking for is maybe some tips (or some online guide) to old world tarantulas.. maybe some suggestions as to what specie, and i guess it doesn't have to be OW but something colorful (hence more defensive?)

I just don't want to be cleaning a cage, have an aggressive tarantula escape (cats in the house, as well as a terrified girlfriend) then end up being bit and hurting the T in the process due to my own incompetence.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome

Thank you

MS6582

Arachnopeon
Seems if you are ONLY looking for color, you have several options in NW such as the GBB and Varsicolor. There are some others too like the red knees and I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts (sorry, don't know the science names of many T's yet) but if you are looking for OW spiders I'm not much help sorry :(

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Brachys are colorful, and as you know, they are docile. I would recommend working your way up the ladder. Start with some of the bird-eaters, i.e. Lasiodora, Nhandu, etc. That way you can get experience with defensive/skittish t's without the medically significant venom (also moderately priced specimens). Then you could get some baboons.
If you aren't comfortable with your experience level, the possibility for accidents greatly increases. I had my G. rosea for three years before I got an LP. Then I got a Nhandu chromatus and an OBT. After that I got an Avic. avic. I went a bit out of order, but that is because I like terrestrials more.
There is a certain point when comfort level isn't enough, and you need experience in addition to comfort.
There are plenty of slightly aggressive/skittish pretty looking New Worlds to start with.
Just my .02,
Dan

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's up to you if you feel ready. They're not as bad as you think as long as you have experience with tarantula's in general and you respect the animal.
My first old word was an OBT sling. If you get an old world get a sling to start with. That way you can learn and gain experience as it grows.
I personally think this is a little easier and better than just jumping right in and getting an adult.

Unravel

Arachnosquire
It's up to you if you feel ready. They're not as bad as you think as long as you have experience with tarantula's in general and you respect the animal.
My first old word was an OBT sling. If you get an old world get a sling to start with. That way you can learn and gain experience as it grows.
I personally think this is a little easier and better than just jumping right in and getting an adult.
This is true, the route i was going to take if i did get one... now i just wish i could find some slings/breeder in Philadelphia without having to pay $30 for shipping or waiting for summer :8o

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Get an OBT sling. They're fast yes but at a small size they aren't as intimidating. They're extremely interesting and have a lot of personality / attitude. Very fun to watch during feeding especially. Mine lived in a burrow the last past year. Now it's always above ground but never climbs. Just webs a ton.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The very first T I got was given to me as a gift, and I knew very, very little about tarantulas. It was a h. mac! I did not know about NW or OW or anything, he was just cute and tiny. He has gotten SO big but I rarely see him. Never have had any problem - he is in a 2.5 gallon tank with a screened lid and he can't escape. I have cats too, but as long as they are secure and you check carefully to make sure you know where he is before you open the enclosure it should not be a problem. I actually like that they do not have urticating hairs - I worry much about those getting into my cat's lungs since he only has 50% of his lungs as it is.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'd stick with two or three more NW species first, and do a bit of research around this site. Once you feel comfortable, go for it.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I agree with Xhexdx and therefore also agree with Kathy. (it's a joke about xhexdx's signature)

--Dan

DrJ

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Old World tarantulas are the only ones worth owning. Haha! I am so overly biased towards OW, it's no joke.

I've seen many people over the years tire of NW. They get into them as newbies, but the interest fades due to the hassle over urticating hairs. They are no laughing matter. While the interest in tarantulas is still there, the collection shifts over to focus more on OW.

I fully recommend you going into OW. There are a lot of options there, too. A good "starter" specimen would be any of the Hysterocrates species.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
@ the OP, do you have any experience with other exotic pets such as pythons, iguanas, etc. If u have experincew ith those types of animals a little T wont scare you IME, but if not I still think you should get what you want. I purchased 3 Phlogius Crassipes (whistling spider) slings recently. Getting them small i think helps, and I dont handle my Ts so as long as you look but dont touch you will be fine.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
listen to Joe, he has the right idea and thats how i started. with NW then OW

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I like to suggest P. irminia, P. cambridgei, or T. gigas as go between species fr someone wanting to go NW to OW.

Raine

Arachnopeon
If there's one thing I have learned from this site is that if you aren't sure or are worried about owning a certain T, you're probably not ready to own it.

I'm a newbie and I started with my G. rosea. Then I saw pictures of a few of the pokies and fell in love. The P. metallica is just gorgeous, and many of the others! But I read a lot of threads and asked a lot of questions. I was very nervous about the idea of pokies by then so decided to look at more of the NW Ts and get a couple years of experience or at least a few more species of NW before I'm ready.

I just got a B. auratum and a L. parahybana. I definitely want a GBB and a G. pulchra and pulchripes! There are many NW Ts to choose from. True the OW are flashy but it's not like you can never get one. :) I know that one day when I'm ready I'll have a nice little list of pokies I want to get! :D

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If there's one thing I have learned from this site is that if you aren't sure or are worried about owning a certain T, you're probably not ready to own it. I'm a newbie and I started with my G. rosea. Then I saw pictures of a few of the pokies and fell in love. The P. metallica is just gorgeous, and many of the others! But I read a lot of threads and asked a lot of questions. I was very nervous about the idea of pokies by then so decided to look at more of the NW Ts and get a couple years of experience or at least a few more species of NW before I'm ready.

I just got a B. auratum and a L. parahybana. I definitely want a GBB and a G. pulchra and pulchripes! There are many NW Ts to choose from. True the OW are flashy but it's not like you can never get one. :) I know that one day when I'm ready I'll have a nice little list of pokies I want to get! :D
I couldn't agree more with that first statement!

I much prefer old world. Brachy urts absolutely wreck me! I have one B.smithi that makes me simply itch just walking into the room. I had a ton of Brachy and got rid of them because of the urts.

As far as when you are ready... YOU will know when the time is right. If you are nervous or excited but leaning towards doing it, go for it! Just do the research and just respect the critter. If you are HESITANT or UNSURE.... DON"T.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I like to suggest P. irminia, P. cambridgei, or T. gigas as go between species fr someone wanting to go NW to OW.
^^^ These would be good Ts to help bridge the gap from NW to OW. None of them are what I would call flashy with their coloring, but they are more like an OW in temperament. Speed is what you need to get used to and you don't have a speedy species.

That said, if you are interested in OW, hit up genus photo threads and find one you like; then buy the advanced search a drink and sit down and learn what you can about it. The more you yourself learn, the more confident you will feel. If you are asking people to tell you how to work with an OW, then I would say you aren't ready.

Ts are basically blind and can only really see light and dark, so rest assured it will not be jumping out to get you, since it cannot see you. They are more skittish and defensive though, so opening their enclosures with care is advisable.

Edited to add

CAK said:
As far as when you are ready... YOU will know when the time is right. If you are nervous or excited but leaning towards doing it, go for it! Just do the research and just respect the critter. If you are HESITANT or UNSURE.... DON"T.
This is good advice!

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll echo everyone else and say that if you don't feel ready you probably aren't, BUT IMO Old World T's defensiveness is greatly over-stated. Especially for pokies. I've had two pokies, and two baboons so far--limited experience, I'll grant--but they aren't the demons people make them out to be. My H.maculata has only shown defensive behavior when she escaped briefly (extremely aggresive feeding response frightened me, dropped tongs, T bolted), and my pokies have been extremely laid back. If anything, they are nervous/timid, not defensive. I'd honestly consider the pokies I have as "beginner OW" species from my experience so far.

I've heard here that Psalmos are under-rated in terms of temperment.

Bizgaard

Arachnopeon

Well.. I started off with a B.Smithi and went straight to a H.Lividum.
I believe that there is some keywords when it comes to NW to OW.
Research, research, research.. I read absolutely everything i could find about various species of OW's. Also read a lot of bite reports so i knew what would typically go wrong and cause a bite..
If you have a little knowledge and generally handle these beautiful creatures with extreme care, you should be just fine.

But as others has pointed out. Most important: You have to be sure, that you are ready and feel comfortable about keeping them;-)

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I'll echo everyone else and say that if you don't feel ready you probably aren't, BUT IMO Old World T's defensiveness is greatly over-stated. Especially for pokies. I've had two pokies, and two baboons so far--limited experience, I'll grant--but they aren't the demons people make them out to be. My H.maculata has only shown defensive behavior when she escaped briefly (extremely aggresive feeding response frightened me, dropped tongs, T bolted), and my pokies have been extremely laid back. If anything, they are nervous/timid, not defensive. I'd honestly consider the pokies I have as "beginner OW" species from my experience so far.

I've heard here that Psalmos are under-rated in terms of temperment.
Yeah my P.irminia has gotten pretty defensive ive heard of some pretty mean NW T's. My little LP has a bad temper and its only like a inch lol

k2power

Arachnoknight
It seems that with some of my quicker tarantulas: Avicularia sp. peru, Hysterocrates gigas, and Lasiodora parahybana (less so with it); that if given a decent hide they will usually retreat in the hide when disturbed. I have yet to see a defense display on my gigas or parahybana when the cage is opened or water changed. Is this typical or can they be mellowed when given decen retreats to seek when scared? The gigas had a bad reputation at the pet shop but has not at all seemed aggressive at home since I have had it (3 months). No threat displays and I don't even know if it can stridulate because I have never heard it.